Double report with pics

brandon4455
brandon4455
Hey all, i don't post many reports here any more but thought i would post a few most recent ones since the fly fishing section doesn't get a ton of love anymore, hoping to re start the fire!

fished hagg lake for the first time last week, trolled around from my float tube for stockers and caught 15 on a black/red leech pattern, nothing big just 10-14 inch stockers, good size for a nice dinner which i used 5 of them for, fish were spread out in small pods near the dam and boat ramp A,an intermediate line worked plenty well as the fish were only 10-15 ft deep, had lots of short strikes and lost a couple as well. Also fished a cove and found some giant bass (could not buy a bite, they were chasing eachother getting ready to bed up, very difficult to catch them at this stage) i had the biggest bass ive ever seen look at a big black bugger but turned away at the last second. i did catch a few little smallies on small nymphs though, a crappie,some gills, and a perch all in the same little area. I was pleased with the experience and look forward to trying hagg for bass & panfish in the summer, when im not in central oregon of course.

Here are a few pics from the day at hagg.

2u7c1l4.jpg
2m2auti.jpg
2a7bvw1.jpg

On sunday a friend and i fished a private lake stocked with triploid rainbows, we used a small fiberglass boat my friend brought and it was weird not fishing in my float tube but worked out just fine. Started at a hotspot in 14ft of water from the previous trip that unfortunately was void of fish, so We trolled around slowly with sink lines catching one or two fish in the 17-18 inch range and then finally found where the fish went, to a shallow 6ft deep shoal to the west of a channel. Threw on a floating line with a chironomid and bloodworm setup and it was fish on from there.There were fish rolling all around the boat on adult chironomids and damsels, but knowing better i threw on the trusty indicator rig. Not a ton of fish but 30 fat,hard fighting rainbows kept us busy the rest of the day. We landed fish from 14-21 or so inches and lost 3 brutes that were significantly larger, but were too hot to meet the net! at one point i even had a fish grab my chironomids and take off without warning, going on a 20yd run and jumping then spitting the hook in the process , i was looking away when the fish took and it about ripped the rod outta my grip.
we trolled back to the ramp and caught a few more, then had some greasy taco bell in town to call it a day.

photos from that trip

2nup0fl.jpg

2zzlsn8.jpg

zo6b6h.jpg

2lszipy.jpg

2j4bvnk.jpg

My friend with a hook up and land sequence.
2wf08ea.jpg

2wlx106.jpg

25gwgpj.jpg

i graduate on the 12th so these are my most recent trips, hopefully wont have to wait to long before i get back on the water but school is my #1 priority right now, im workin my butt off!

Reactions: Admin
I
igquick
awesome post once again

T
TimberTodd
Great reports. Congrats on the graduation.

J
JonT
Thanks for the report. Looks like fun. For those big pre-spawn/spawn bass, you have to really **** them off. They aren't eating for food, they are in protect-mode. Keep dangling something in their face and they'll go after it eventually. I've casted at bed up bass at least 10 times before they get mad enough.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks! and trust me i know, its hard in that stage though cause they aren't bedded or paired up yet, just chasing each other around getting ready to pair up. they are cruising so much and focused on doing their thing it's hard to keep a fly in their face, and when you get it in their face half the time it wont get their attention. i got that one good look but she turned away at the last second. If those fish were paired up good or on a bed i could have caught them no problem..i wish that would have been the case because the fish i saw was an easy 8-9lbs at the very least.. scared me at first when i saw the fish cause it was right infront of my tube. doesn't suprise me there are bass that size in hagg considering they have a pretty constant supply of stupid stocker trout for food though.

S
sapo
Amazing post, beautiful fish! Thanks!