Recent trouts and bent rods!

O
OnTheFly
brandon4455 said:
some people don't understand that bull snakes(or gopher snakes whatev you like to call them) are harmless. they actually eat rattlesnakes. no point in killing them. the reason they are there is because we are in their home.. well done jimmy. nice fish too!!!
You'e thinking of King Snakes. King snakes will eat rattlesnakes, other snakes, rodents and also lizards.

Nice fish Jimmy!! Guess I shoulda tied on a stimulator last week.

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
Chubbys are the ticket right now for me in a sz. 8. I tie a few different ones with some color variations but haven't thrown anything other than a Chubby! :)

O
OnTheFly
FlyBum said:
Chubbys are the ticket right now for me in a sz. 8. I tie a few different ones with some color variations but haven't thrown anything other than a Chubby! :)
That's what I used last week with a dropper. One fish hit the Chubby and nearly took the rod out of my hands followed by a freight train like run.

F
FlyBum
Ya, those are some of the typical strikes I've been getting with that fly. Sometimes they will slap it with their tail than come back around a just nail the puzz out of it! :)

J
jimmy
I did have good luck 'tuning' my big flys.... to present more of a "fluttering salmonfly" look...
(by 'tuning' I mean: bring it in, dry it out, and thumb press the wing WAY UP, as vertical as I could get it.) the next few casts the elk hair wing was NOT laying flat in the water and the butt of the fly was much more visible. if that makes sence.... imagine the visual... when it relaxed back down I'd keep fishing, the bugs never look exactly the same in the film of the water, give the fish as many profiles as possible... works for me anyway..

thanks for the comments folks, I had a great time.

OnTheFly said:
You'e thinking of King Snakes. King snakes will eat rattlesnakes, other snakes, rodents and also lizards.

I have seen the gopher snakes eat small 'racers' personally on the D. I'm guessing they'd have no problem with smaller rattlers... just what I've witnessed.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i have seen a gopher snake eat a rattler in california.

B
bigsteel
nice job jimmy

B
bigsteel
we got a few on the chubby but most came on a little yellow sally called "chubby brian"

J
jimmy
uno mas from last weekend, on it's way home...

release12.jpg

I do like a colorful 'in the water' photo...

S
steelhead_slayer
gorgeous fish jimmy

O
OnTheFly
If the salmon fly hatch lasted all year I think I would consider relocating to Maupin.

Just for the record of the snake subject....

The king snake is more tolerable to rattlesnake poison and will eat more reptiles as part of they're natural diet than other snakes. Just Say'in.

F
FlyBum
This seems to be such a popular thread I don't really want to start any new thread and a big THANK YOU to all the contributors who submit fish pix that are over 12" and may think of putting a 15" minimum requirement on, but I think we'll stick to 12" for now. :)

Fished down the Reservation Side today, there were a lot of patrols lately :) One police officer cruzed through the lot at Dry Creek than on our 3 1/2 mile hike out the Fish and Game guy came down the road in his truck and checked out tags. ~All good!~ Went there with my buddy Dave and my new buddy Simon from England! Had a really good day. Once again I'm not really on a picture binge lately but did get some good shots of this first fish. However, we gave Simon a great introduction to the Deschutes as one of the Biggest D redsides Dave has seen (he's fished this river for 30yrs) came up and smacked the puzz out of it than preceded to kick his azz then broke him off on 0x. Then had another snap 2x like silly string. He landed a few fish in the 18-20" range and all in all we hiked around 7miles. Some of the best moments were "Bow-n-Arrowing" the bug between the trees and bombing line 70+ feet from the upper ledges and being able to watch those hoggers come out of the depths and smack the puzz out of it. Great day, and I feel bad for the dumbazzes nymphing. What the he11?? Don't you know that there are Stoneflies flying, duh!

O
OnTheFly
Piggles.

F
FlyBum
OnTheFly said:

Those fish were soooooo gorged with bugs I'm surprised they weren't bursting out of their mouths like in some horror flick. :shock:----->

E
eggs
FlyBum said:
Those fish were soooooo gorged with bugs I'm surprised they weren't bursting out of their mouths like in some horror flick. :shock:----->

Hahaha

First words out of my wife's mouth when she saw pics of that fish was "those are some piggles "

Last edited:
S
steelhead_slayer
Fat fish. Looks like fun. Wish I could of been out there

V
Van
Well, i caught a good number of fish during this salmonfly hatch but this one was the biggest. He has a huge head. My biggest Deschutes rainbow to date. I didn't measure him but my hands measure 5" across and 8" from base of palm to top of birdie finger.

2012redside.jpg

He was a big old slab of fish.

F
FlyBum
Van said:
Well, i caught a good number of fish during this salmonfly hatch but this one was the biggest. He has a huge head. My biggest Deschutes rainbow to date. I didn't measure him but my hands measure 5" across and 8" from base of palm to top of birdie finger.

He was a big old slab of fish.

Well done Van!! :clap:

S
steelhead_slayer
that for sharing that beauty

S
Sinkline

Last edited: