Questions?

C
colbypearson
Fish-N-Fool said:
I would ever throw a 7" swimbait up here, biggest thing I fish a lot is my 10" Sink-N-Fools and thats is mainly for Pike, but I catch a few monster LM on them. They are maybe 1 1/2 oz. of plastic . My big swimbaits I throw are the 5 1/2" Basstrix hallowbellys for Pike and the 3" for Bass, I throw my proven big fish baits more and they are not necessarily giant baits. My list of proven big fish baits are 6" Sink-N-Fool, 8" Sink-N-Fools, the Fish-N-Fool lures Buzzbait in black & blue, Basstrix Swimbaits in perch or baby bass colors, The Fish-N-Fool slow fall jig and trailer in black & blue, The 3" Fish-N-Fool Lures floating mouse bait (body not counting the tail) in grey with white belly, and the 3" Ribbett frog. Those are my farorite LM baits. Favorite Smallie baits are 5" or 6" Sink-N-Fools, 2" River2sea crayfish softbait, Fish-N-Fool lures white spinnerbait, 3" Rebel craw deep diving crankbait in brown/orange, and 3" tubes in but/ugly color.
I throw a few other swimbaits but not huge ones. In soft swimbaits I have a Matt lures crappie and baby bass and hard baits the River2sea S-waver in
3 3/4" and the 5 3/4 " for Pike fishin. I love the action on this bait. and its a Pike Killer. We got a 40 1/2" 20 pounder on it this spring.
I've been wanting to try the Baitsmith swimbaits but they are kinda spendy so I may have to rob a bank to pay for them. LOL

i love the select baitsmith's that i have i have a few hitch's and they work great like a huddleston with a bigger kick and a new profile could be any kind of carp/sucker type of fish or just something new to them, big swimbaits work nation wide it was hard for me to make the adjustment as it is for many but its worth it, and ya basstrix swimbaits are great! i love fishing them in theyre biggest size but the other brand of hollow belly paddle tail swimbaits are pretty close if you can find them on sale the reaction strike fat head's the hollow belly ones work great they have a big (for this type of swimbait) size i am quite partial too

B
Bobby Brown
kaimuki49 said:
thanks shane - i know, i figured one did. i have a good live well, but its a 16 ft nicely set up all around fishing boat, not one of those neat bass machines.

maybe colby can post some sites to link so i can see what goes on in that world (bass groups/tourneys etc). really interested because its something to focus on and do. thanks all. (oh PS shane - i put all my available money on pac man by KO. lousy odds but i trust he will come through. lol, after all i am 1/32 filipino ethnicity ! i am a countryman lol)

Mid Valley Bass Club meets in Albany but we do a lot of our stuff through email and online. You don't have to have a bass boat. You can either fish with another guy out of the back of the boat or use your boat with a livewell and fish with someone else who doesn't have a boat but might still know a lot about different bodies of water. We have some really good guys in our club that don't have bass boats.

I fished a couple of FLW tournaments as a co-angler and you really learn a lot.
You end up fishing out of the back of a couple of different pro's boats for about the same cost as getting a guide for the day. Plus you have the chance at winning some money or even a boat.

ABA is a team tournament circut but I am trying to line up some boaters and non boaters who want to split expenses and just need a partner so let me know if you are interested.

There are several "Opens" through the year that are really fun too:
Emerald Bass Club Fern Ridge Open
Central Valley Bass Club Green Peter Open
Umpqua Bass Club BassN 4 Bucks Open
Crane Prairie Open
There used to be a Boardman Open but not sure until the full schedule comes out each year in December or January

T
tomriker
hey Colby, im planning on going out saturday with FP, any tips you can give for mid november lunkers?

C
colbypearson
tomriker said:
hey Colby, im planning on going out saturday with FP, any tips you can give for mid november lunkers?

ya let me know what kind of water a general temperature and some cover and depth, etc.... details i would be glad to you can PM me or post here whatever you like!

T
tomriker
well lets see, for the most part it's roughly sloping shore then a deep drop off that goes down atleast 20-30ft lots of cover AND open water (about 150 or so acers total i suppose) average water temp im sure too,in the 50s? you need to come up and try my little pond out one of these times

C
colbypearson
tomriker said:
well lets see, for the most part it's roughly sloping shore then a deep drop off that goes down atleast 20-30ft lots of cover AND open water (about 150 or so acers total i suppose) average water temp im sure too,in the 50s? you need to come up and try my little pond out one of these times

ya i do!!!! i dont think baits matter as much as speed whatever you use make sure to go slow and keep the colors simple in the winter i stick to colors i know the fish like all the time mostly browns and greens although a wintertime jig bite isn't complete without some black and blue jigs.

T
tomriker
im going to hold FP to throwing his big ol' swim bait all day. i've got some 1 1/2 oz jiggs i've been itchin' to play with more too.... with jigs is the bite like normal or is it harder to tell if you snag one?

T
tomriker
should i still be putting a trailer rubber on my jig? or just stick to the strait jig?

C
colbypearson
tomriker said:
im going to hold FP to throwing his big ol' swim bait all day. i've got some 1 1/2 oz jiggs i've been itchin' to play with more too.... with jigs is the bite like normal or is it harder to tell if you snag one?

somtimes i get just a grinding sensation or a bite feel but all my big fish bounce it like i have contact then my line goes slack then it gets tight again like a huge bounce its an awesome feeling to get that big bite, and i always put trailers on my jigs 100% of the time

R
ryan808
TR, you guys hitting Basstopia again? Try the drop shot on the outside of those weed patched. Good luck and report back

T
tomriker
the weeds are mostly gone now so im not tooo sure what to try. after seeing colbys fish from lastweekend it made me want to get out one more time this fall! hope we don't get skunked!

A
Amberjack
What an intersting thread. I live part time in Arizona. I do a lot of bass fising here. This is all about to change as I am moving to OR in a year.

One of things that irritates the crap out of me about bass fishing as it is extremly tackle intensive, Have to carry lots of different tackle. My bass boat is loaded.
Okay out here in the wild west we use a lot of variety of baits. I am not sure if you folks have threadfin shad, but our lakes are full of them. LM just tear them up.

We use a lot of spinnerbaits, Lucky Craft jerkbaits, and Rico topwater baits. I love to use a splitshot rig, consists of a Gammy 2/0 hook, Powerbait 4" camo worm and a pea size split shot about 18" up from the bait. During the winter it is slow slow and more slow worked plastic baits.

R
ryan808
Amberjack, where in Oregon are you planning to move to?

F
Finneus Polebender
colbypearson said:
ya let me know what kind of water a general temperature and some cover and depth, etc.... details i would be glad to you can PM me or post here whatever you like!

Ok I got the 7" 3;16 trout on one pole got a black/brown 3/8oz jig w/a space monkey trailer, and threw a booyah boogie on my spinnin rod . thinkin i should really slow my retrieve on the swim bait maybe try to feel bottom every now and then? Was kinda hoping that using the boogie kinda like a jig w/some short slow retrieves might get a reaction strike w/ the chatter ? using booyah football heads w/ the rattle is that the best ? have others different weights / types and colors?

F
Finneus Polebender
ryan808 said:
TR, you guys hitting Basstopia again? Try the drop shot on the outside of those weed patched. Good luck and report back

Will go get my other spinnin rod and set up a drop shot ! what bait would you recommed the bait of confidence perhaps?

R
ryan808
FP, should have told me you were going to Basstopia, I could have had the rod ready for you. I think the best bet at TR's place at at this time of the year is to hit the deeper spots with structure, try to find isolated weed beds and jig or drop shot the outside edges of those areas. I think the area were that bald eagle was perched at is where they are. Focus on the idea of warmer water and areas where there structure and open space are adjacent to each other, fish em slow and fish em big. The water is probably clear as hell so go with natural colored baits, remember they are moving slow and will have time to see the bait and will be very selective at what they eat. Good luck and report back.

F
Finneus Polebender
ryan808 said:
FP, should have told me you were going to Basstopia, I could have had the rod ready for you. I think the best bet at TR's place at at this time of the year is to hit the deeper spots with structure, try to find isolated weed beds and jig or drop shot the outside edges of those areas. I think the area were that bald eagle was perched at is where they are. Focus on the idea of warmer water and areas where there structure and open space are adjacent to each other, fish em slow and fish em big. The water is probably clear as hell so go with natural colored baits, remember they are moving slow and will have time to see the bait and will be very selective at what they eat. Good luck and report back.

Its all good on the rod you can ask TR I stuck hard to that big ol swim bait and I would not use the new rod for that application . We actually had our best luck today just past that spot in the cove across from mnt pea gravel . Took Colbys advise slowed my retrieve till the ol swim bait was making contact with the bottom every now and then and bingo got results. Never even thought of breaking out the bait of confidence LOL . Did play with the jig a couple times when we were deep in the cover where the swim bait had already been played out . Got snagged up a couple times on the ol slow retrieve but managed to get my swim bait back every time! Did loose 1 jig in the dreaded submerged orchard area . Other than that a great day !

T
tomriker
i felt naked w/out my fish finder today lol

F
Finneus Polebender
tomriker said:
i felt naked w/out my fish finder today lol

Yep ya get spoiled with better gear / electronics and such always makes me wonder how I got by without them . All I can say is it sure improves a guys chances to catch fish! All part of that life long learning curve LOL.

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
Im new to bass fishing(used to trout fish in california) and i was wondering what an overall good bait/ retrieve tactic:lol: :think: