Questions?

C
ChezJfrey
Finneus Polebender said:
Gonna have to buck up if I am gonna catch one of them hogs like you be postin!

I'll go ahead and admit that I've committed the same offense. I know logically that a bigger bite is certain to be few and far between...if even at all. But, after a time slinging a big enticement with no hits, out of weak will and frustration (LOL!), I'll go back to the smaller fare because at least a pounder will hit it just to satisfy a feeling of not getting skunked!

But at the same it's a disappointment because, well, it's a small fish anyway!

Like colby keeps saying, ya gotta keep at it...and I should probably listen to the guy that boasts a personal best 4 times larger than what I've been able to land :)

T
tomriker
just cary a few poles with you rigged up differant. that way you can work an area with a small bait, then before moving on work the area with the big one too

C
colbypearson
ChezJfrey said:
Like colby keeps saying, ya gotta keep at it...and I should probably listen to the guy that boasts a personal best 4 times larger than what I've been able to land :)

ya thats it gotta keep at it i will go probubly today and see what i can gather up, i will post here if i do decent

C
colbypearson
ChezJfrey said:
I'll go ahead and admit that I've committed the same offense. I know logically that a bigger bite is certain to be few and far between...if even at all. But, after a time slinging a big enticement with no hits, out of weak will and frustration (LOL!), I'll go back to the smaller fare because at least a pounder will hit it just to satisfy a feeling of not getting skunked!

But at the same it's a disappointment because, well, it's a small fish anyway!

[video=youtube;5ca9YbZ-Xlk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ca9YbZ-Xlk[/video]

just goes to show they dont have to be the biggest to eat swimbaits, footage from today 4lbr and a dink!!! on a 6.25" bait that weighs nearly 3 ounces, it pays to wait for the bigger bites.

F
Finneus Polebender
Dude thats freakin awesome those do look sick thanks for the vid and the info!

C
colbypearson
Finneus Polebender said:
Dude thats freakin awesome those do look sick thanks for the vid and the info!

ya it was fun i am going to a lake tomorrow and throwing it see if i can get a biggie!!

M
michigan_transplant
Johnny Southpaw said:
Nice thread topic Colby. There is a very nice lake near Toledo which I've fished for trout on several occasions. On numerous occasions I've floated near the bank only to see schools of very big bass cruising. I'm talking 5-10 lbrs, and LOTS of them. I've tried throwing plastic worms, rapala minnows, spinnerbaits and jig-n-pig (jig-n-craw actually) combos with no luck. They seem to have lock jaw. Any ideas on why they won't bite or what I could do to get them to bite?

You talking about Olalla??

F
Finneus Polebender
If anyone can it be you! good luck man bring us some film at 11!

C
colbypearson
Johnny Southpaw said:
Nice thread topic Colby. There is a very nice lake near Toledo which I've fished for trout on several occasions. On numerous occasions I've floated near the bank only to see schools of very big bass cruising. I'm talking 5-10 lbrs, and LOTS of them. I've tried throwing plastic worms, rapala minnows, spinnerbaits and jig-n-pig (jig-n-craw actually) combos with no luck. They seem to have lock jaw. Any ideas on why they won't bite or what I could do to get them to bite?

man that post shizzed right by my face lol, totally missed it...now is a good time of year to get those fish same with the early spring, who knows maybe try a swimbait...and remember stay off the areas you have seen them so they dont spook if you see them they see you.. try a jig maybe or senkos are good to get fish to commit to easily

B
Bobby Brown
Thanks for starting this post Colby and everyone for tagging on to it. This is what fishing is all about! I have fished tournaments for over 10 years and WISH there was this much info shared when I started. I got into clubs and trial and error learning the hard way but there is just as much info or MORE posted here in one simple thread!

Great job guys!
Just think, some people still don't believe bass fishing in Oregon is a big deal!!!
Keep up the posts!

C
colbypearson
Bobby Brown said:
Thanks for starting this post Colby and everyone for tagging on to it. This is what fishing is all about! I have fished tournaments for over 10 years and WISH there was this much info shared when I started. I got into clubs and trial and error learning the hard way but there is just as much info or MORE posted here in one simple thread!

Great job guys!
Just think, some people still don't believe bass fishing in Oregon is a big deal!!!
Keep up the posts!

ya its awesome i actually fished my very first bass tournament when i was 11 years old and i am for the most part self taught i actually got my grandpa into it, pretty. cool im turning 17 this winter so i got into it early and can't wait to step it up, to bigger tournaments.

K
kaimuki49
This is an informative and lively and fun thread. Great job !!

Where can one get a listing of the various bass tourneys in Oregon?

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
kaimuki49 said:
This is an informative and lively and fun thread. Great job !!

Where can one get a listing of the various bass tourneys in Oregon?

what level are you looking for there are many clubs in oregon in lots of regions there are also various pro-am tournies, ABA, and some FLW western events theres lots it all depends on what level your looking for as well as region

K
kaimuki49
well anywhere in oregon i guess. and i imagine at a more novice level? i guess i dont know how bass tourneys are organized. can anyone enter any tourney as long as they pay the fee? for example, there was a mack and trout tourney this past year i entered - just pay and fish. bass isn't like that?

and can u go with any type of a junker boat or do u have to have one of those fancy bass rigs?

T
Throbbit _Shane
you'll need a boat with a live well

K
kaimuki49
thanks shane - i know, i figured one did. i have a good live well, but its a 16 ft nicely set up all around fishing boat, not one of those neat bass machines.

maybe colby can post some sites to link so i can see what goes on in that world (bass groups/tourneys etc). really interested because its something to focus on and do. thanks all. (oh PS shane - i put all my available money on pac man by KO. lousy odds but i trust he will come through. lol, after all i am 1/32 filipino ethnicity ! i am a countryman lol)

C
colbypearson
kaimuki49 said:
thanks shane - i know, i figured one did. i have a good live well, but its a 16 ft nicely set up all around fishing boat, not one of those neat bass machines.

maybe colby can post some sites to link so i can see what goes on in that world (bass groups/tourneys etc). really interested because its something to focus on and do. thanks all. (oh PS shane - i put all my available money on pac man by KO. lousy odds but i trust he will come through. lol, after all i am 1/32 filipino ethnicity ! i am a countryman lol)

ya theres a ton dude more than you think haha, let me know a region or whatever its a lot of personal hookups you get after a while into certain clubs and stuff, so unless you want to come here and fish some SO-ORE clubs then im not much help, let me know some regions you would be interested in, unfortunately the nest tourny for most clubs wouldnt be till like march or so....thats why i fish with the klamath falls club becuase they fish january to november a very hardcore group of guys also.

F
Fish-N-Fool
tomriker said:
just cary a few poles with you rigged up differant. that way you can work an area with a small bait, then before moving on work the area with the big one too

I do just the opposite! I work my largest baits (or my proven big fish baits) and try to pull out the biggest fish in a hole first, so as to not spook them. If you don't get bit and you think there is still fish worth catching there, then go to the smallerstuff.

C
colbypearson
Fish-N-Fool said:
I do just the opposite! I work my largest baits (or my proven big fish baits) and try to pull out the biggest fish in a hole first, so as to not spook them. If you don't get bit and you think there is still fish worth catching there, then go to the smallerstuff.

thats a fine strategy but often if i threw a 7" swimbait in there weighing 2-3 ounces in a back pocket i would spook most of the fish on the outside around or atleast make them wary so i would recommend fishing from the outside in not saying you have to use small baits but if your gonna huck a few ounces at them i would fish the outside with a jig or something then fish your way back then put a bait in the back if you horse a fish from the back it will spook the fish on the outsides as opposed to vise versa but times it could fire them up thats just how i prefer to do it.

F
Fish-N-Fool
colbypearson said:
thats a fine strategy but often if i threw a 7" swimbait in there weighing 2-3 ounces in a back pocket i would spook most of the fish on the outside around or atleast make them wary so i would recommend fishing from the outside in not saying you have to use small baits but if your gonna huck a few ounces at them i would fish the outside with a jig or something then fish your way back then put a bait in the back if you horse a fish from the back it will spook the fish on the outsides as opposed to vise versa but times it could fire them up thats just how i prefer to do it.

I would ever throw a 7" swimbait up here, biggest thing I fish a lot is my 10" Sink-N-Fools and thats is mainly for Pike, but I catch a few monster LM on them. They are maybe 1 1/2 oz. of plastic . My big swimbaits I throw are the 5 1/2" Basstrix hallowbellys for Pike and the 3" for Bass, I throw my proven big fish baits more and they are not necessarily giant baits. My list of proven big fish baits are 6" Sink-N-Fool, 8" Sink-N-Fools, the Fish-N-Fool lures Buzzbait in black & blue, Basstrix Swimbaits in perch or baby bass colors, The Fish-N-Fool slow fall jig and trailer in black & blue, The 3" Fish-N-Fool Lures floating mouse bait (body not counting the tail) in grey with white belly, and the 3" Ribbett frog. Those are my farorite LM baits. Favorite Smallie baits are 5" or 6" Sink-N-Fools, 2" River2sea crayfish softbait, Fish-N-Fool lures white spinnerbait, 3" Rebel craw deep diving crankbait in brown/orange, and 3" tubes in but/ugly color.
I throw a few other swimbaits but not huge ones. In soft swimbaits I have a Matt lures crappie and baby bass and hard baits the River2sea S-waver in
3 3/4" and the 5 3/4 " for Pike fishin. I love the action on this bait. and its a Pike Killer. We got a 40 1/2" 20 pounder on it this spring.
I've been wanting to try the Baitsmith swimbaits but they are kinda spendy so I may have to rob a bank to pay for them. LOL

Last edited: