Questions?

C
colbypearson
Sh0rt f1sh3r said:
Im new to bass fishing(used to trout fish in california) and i was wondering what an overall good bait/ retrieve tactic:lol: :think:

welcome to the forum,

the easiest way to catch a bass in oregon if you ask me for largeouth is a gary yamamoto senkos in either 4" or 5" both work wonders and are a great beginners bait, i would texas rig these and fish them around cover i like to use a 4/0 light wire gamakatsu ewg hook if you look it up on youtube you can see how to texas rig and how to fish a senkos i use a slow retrieve i cast out and let it sink to the bottom and look for a bump in your line if there isn't a fish that ate it i will twitch it or jerk it a few feet make it look erratic then let it sink again until i feel like i have fished the area well.... i would start bass fishing in oregon during spring due to the cruddy climate it makes the bassin tough.... i reccomend green pumpkin as the best all around color to base your efforts around...

hope this helps, Colby :)

T
Throbbit _Shane
colbypearson said:
welcome to the forum,

the easiest way to catch a bass in oregon if you ask me for largeouth is a gary yamamoto senkos in either 4" or 5" both work wonders and are a great beginners bait, i would texas rig these and fish them around cover i like to use a 4/0 light wire gamakatsu ewg hook if you look it up on youtube you can see how to texas rig and how to fish a senkos i use a slow retrieve i cast out and let it sink to the bottom and look for a bump in your line if there isn't a fish that ate it i will twitch it or jerk it a few feet make it look erratic then let it sink again until i feel like i have fished the area well.... i would start bass fishing in oregon during spring due to the cruddy climate it makes the bassin tough.... i reccomend green pumpkin as the best all around color to base your efforts around...

This is great advice, this was my first year fishing for bass and i used 5 inch worms 99.5% of the time. The only thing i could add is use the wacky rig too on your worms, and other brands of worms work just as well as the Senko's that were mentioned, I use Yum Dingers. One last thing is make sure your watching your line good on the fall, i rarely get them retreiving the worm.

S
salemCBR
I have been fishing oregon for bass for only a couple years. The senco or equivelant has been great for me. Used some trout looking rapalas that have been great at times. After doing some reading here im defenetly ready to go out and find myself some swim bait. No boat or float so I've been limited to the shore.

My new job sends me all over the state so im hoping to really get to know some of the best fishin holes to stop and hunt for fish.

Great topic by the way.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Welcome to OFF!

S
salemCBR
Thank ya.. ! Now I just gotta make use of OFF and find me some new holes.

Let me make an attempt to stay on topic..... when is bass spawning season?
Comes with warming in the spring?

T
TTFishon
I think the water needs to be around 55 to 60 degrees.

K
Kevinb5688
Colbys quote says it all. Dont fish like everyone else( or at least dont use one bait because it works). Hard to do but sometimes when buying a new pack of baits grab for one youve never used. Senkos are great baits and i know i could catch 3lb bass all day where i fish on em. But bass are an amazing fish that will eat almost amything, so dont be afraid if your new to bass fishing to explore all types of baits. Overtime you will form a mental log of what baits worked in certian conditions and times of the year. I fished yesterday and was killing small fish on a 1/2 oz spinnerbait, but just to see how they would react i put a 4" curly tail grub on my trailer hook making my spinnerbait look huge. What do you know 5 casts later i caught my biggest fish of the day but not to many after that.
My point is if your new to bass fishing take the advice of the great bass fisherman on this site but remember to always let the fish tell you what they want. Get yourself aquainted to all of the styles of bass fishing then make them your own. GOOD LUCK!

T
Texas Basser
Kevinb5688 said:
Colbys quote says it all. Dont fish like everyone else( or at least dont use one bait because it works). Hard to do but sometimes when buying a new pack of baits grab for one youve never used. Senkos are great baits and i know i could catch 3lb bass all day where i fish on em. But bass are an amazing fish that will eat almost amything, so dont be afraid if your new to bass fishing to explore all types of baits. Overtime you will form a mental log of what baits worked in certian conditions and times of the year. I fished yesterday and was killing small fish on a 1/2 oz spinnerbait, but just to see how they would react i put a 4" curly tail grub on my trailer hook making my spinnerbait look huge. What do you know 5 casts later i caught my biggest fish of the day but not to many after that.
My point is if your new to bass fishing take the advice of the great bass fisherman on this site but remember to always let the fish tell you what they want. Get yourself aquainted to all of the styles of bass fishing then make them your own. GOOD LUCK!

Amen KevinB!

Gunga
Gunga
colbypearson said:
welcome to the forum,

How exactly would i retirve the worm like how you mentioned the twitching how far should i twitch it. should i use a little twitch or a hard twitch. plus me and my uncle went out to hagg yeaterday in his canoe and were in a shallow cove area the water was crystal clear and we saw some nice sized bass 2 to 3 lb range. but we tried a lot to entice a bite out of them. first i used a spinner bait that just kinda soppked them. i tried a 1/4 ounce jig in front of their faces and dint even bother them a bit. he or she just looked at it for a second and that was it. i also tried a senko worm but i dont know i was fishing it right or not. i also tried a 3 inch curly tail grub no success. If you could give more detailed pointers for how to fish for bass with a jig or worms i would really appreciate it.

K
Kevinb5688
Those bass you sawl were probably spawning, otherwise they wouldnt stick around. Sometimes its best to visually mark where there at and come back in 10 minutes and cast from a distance. Or find there bed and aim for it not the fish. As for fishing senkos theres no wrong way. Just lift your rod tip up slow and let it sink, repeat. Good luck

C
colbypearson
i saw a tourny when a guy would find a bed he would have long like poles really thin sticks like from a craft store 6-8' long and poke it into the ground a few feet from the bed, he would back waaay off and cast from a distance... kindof a cool approach.

K
Kevinb5688
colbypearson said:
i saw a tourny when a guy would find a bed he would have long like poles really thin sticks like from a craft store 6-8' long and poke it into the ground a few feet from the bed, he would back waaay off and cast from a distance... kindof a cool approach.

Haha, i just watched that last week. I bought those floats with weights you throw out to mark deep structure ore beds etc. They Are great. I cruise 10ft water and use the depth finder to locate sumerged structure and throw 5 of those out then go back and fish all 5 spots from farther away. Helps a lot!

C
colbypearson
yep can't hurt to back off the spot a little.

Gunga
Gunga
We left the spot for awhile then came back and tried at them again from more of a distance. And i thought that bass spawn at water temps at or near 60 not in 50 degree water. and thanks for the advice on the senkos.

C
colbypearson
ya smallies in 58 normally for me

Gunga
Gunga
The water temp at hagg was about 50 to 54 ish at most.

D
Derick
Where is a good place to bank fish for bass around Milwaukie? I've only caught a couple 1-1.5 pounders in various places but have never caught fish in numbers anywhere I've tried.

Gunga
Gunga
If a bass sees you before you cast out to them and they dont bite. What is the best course of action to take to try and get them to bite.

C
colbypearson
if a bass sees you and gets spooky any kind of finesse you can add to your application always helps go with light line and smaller baits to try to convince them into biting, or fish the spot later if you think hes still in the same area he may not be as spooky as the first time around.... if you have shallow fish sometimes you can get them to react to a bait and strike at it out of instinct even though it really doesn't want to by fishing things like crankbaits fast by the fish it may react, but i think the best way would be to go finesse and get them to bite.

Gunga
Gunga
colbypearson said:
if a bass sees you and gets spooky any kind of finesse you can add to your application always helps go with light line and smaller baits to try to convince them into biting, or fish the spot later if you think hes still in the same area he may not be as spooky as the first time around.... if you have shallow fish sometimes you can get them to react to a bait and strike at it out of instinct even though it really doesn't want to by fishing things like crankbaits fast by the fish it may react, but i think the best way would be to go finesse and get them to bite.

Thanks for the advice. When i was at hagg saturday i was in my big yellow raft in some shallows. i saw plenty of bass but only got two to actually bite. and that was on a huge black worm i found on a bush rowing by it. i was mainly sight fishing for the bass. They didn't seem spooky cause they just sat there. i even bumped one on the back with a jig and it moved a few inches. they just seemed to kinda look at my bait for a second and go ehh. Even when i tried a crank bait. idk it might just be me and how i present my offerings.I think i might not be finessing it enough.