Proposed fishing regs for Wickiup bass fishing, you can help!

T
TTFishon
Mad dog said:
Whatever dude! I found that remark offensive and racist!

This proposal is just another B.S. special interest group(The Bend area turd sucker tournamnet club or whatever it is) trying to petition the ODFW. I think the vast majority of anglers at Wickiup would prefer to fish for Kokanee and trout.

I apologize if I offended you or anyone else. That wasn't my intention. And I agree with a lot of your thoughts too. I know I'd hate to spend $300 bucks on a camping trip only to find myself in the thick of a bass tourney.

T
tomriker
Mad dog said:

This proposal is just another B.S. special interest group(The Bend area turd sucker tournamnet club or whatever it is) trying to petition the ODFW. I think the vast majority of anglers at Wickiup would prefer to fish for Kokanee and trout.

someone is on the rag

M
Mad dog
tomriker said:
someone is on the rag

Ha,ha.....NO!!! :think:

It's more about, let's take a world class Brown trout fishery....yes, world class!!! And try to protect something that could ruin it so that some minority of angler can get their Ya,ya's out!

I think the current ODFW regs are justifiable! Obviously!!!

Not too many places in the world can grow 40 lb. brown trout.....lot's of places can grow 5 lb. bass!

T
tomriker
browns are still not native, so i don't think they should be in there either, and i doubt the bass are eating 40 pound browns

M
Mad dog
tomriker said:
browns are still not native, so i don't think they should be in there either, and i doubt the bass are eating 40 pound browns

WOW!!! Spoken like a true bass fisherman!!! :lol:

Ya, know what? You are correct!!! We'll give you a trophy or something!!! :clap: They don't eat 40 Lb. browns!!! :think:

I'll give you double or nothing if you can tell me what they do eat? :think:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Mad dog said:

Yo,Dog! :cool: Let's limit the name calling and using my initials to cast aspersions at other members... :rolleyes: :protest: Sheesh! Pour the pee-pee out of your Cheerio's and lighten up...there's gotta be a better way to discuss a subject and make your point. Isn't there? :think: Have a wonderful evening, GENTLEMEN! :D

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
The biologists who manage the central part of the state's fisheries have a soft spot for illegally introduced fish. Instead of killing the bass at Davis and restoring it to a trophy trout lake - they have referred to Davis as their bass hatchery - since they take a few bass from there to stock in other lakes. Makes me wonder if the guy in charge down there belongs to B.A.S.S.?

There's places bass belong, and places they don't. Wickiup and Crane are places they simply don't belong. Those reservoir's location on the Deschutes makes getting rid of them a harder proposition than simply poisoning the place - because without a doubt, the poison would make it's way out of the lakes down stream into the free flowing sections of the river and damage native fish populations.

One way to rid Wickiup and Crane of the bass would be to institute a no-release policy on all bass caught, regardless of size. Hard to enforce, but it would have the potential effect of reducing the population to nothing or as near to nothing as possible. I'm sure there would even be groups of trout fisherman that would be willing to fish for the dinks once the big ones are gone. Little bass are suckers for wet flies.

Those big bass that the bass anglers want to protect are eating something - and I doubt it's mostly damsel fly nymphs. Big bass simply don't get big eating bugs - just like big trout. So that means that those bigger bass are eating fish. What fish would be most abundant for them to eat? Smaller trout and kokanee seem the likeliest food sources, don't they? And it doesn't take a "big" bass to start eating fish. I had an interesting chat with some guys out at Hagg last season - they were tossing big swim baits for bass - and the guy told me he's caught 10 inch bass on an 8 inch trout style swimbait. Obviously the appetite of the bass started to change sometime before he reached 10 inches. While a 10 inch bass isn't going to actually swallow an 8 inch trout - anything from a fry to a 4 inch parr is fair game for a bass that size.

ODFW simply should NOT favor, or place into the regulations any favorable rules to protect bass, carp, catfish, chub, perch, or any other illegally introduced species where they would have an impact on the traditional trout, salmon, or steelhead fisheries.

On another note - I do think there ought to be certain bodies of water managed for warm water fish. We might even consider *gasp* building some new impoundments that would be managed primarily for warm water species. There would, naturally, have to be some serious screening methods to prevent unintended release of these non-native fish into wild, free flowing waters. Even if that meant some sort of giant blender that puree'd anything that came through the spill way - so at the least, nothing would get through the spillway alive. It'd be like pink slime, but made of fish... that would even be a benefit to the fish in the tailwater below the dam - the extra nutrients provided by said fish-puree would boost bug populations, that would make for healthier populations of trout, salmon, steelhead, and whitefish.

I'm not anti-bass, anti-panfish, or even anti-carp. I love fishing for all of those species - but like I said before - there's places they don't belong. Davis, Wick, and Crane are places they don't belong.

Reactions: JeannaJigs
brandon4455
brandon4455
gu is right on the keep all you catch thing thats a great idea. like ted said they are there to stay But you can still control the population,just because you can't get rid of em doesn't mean you have to make a fishery of it. i said the same thing in previous posts ,there are places bass belong and some they don't, but it seems that doesn't apply to some people here because they obviously dont give a damn. tr, they may no eat giant browns,but how many huge ass brown trout do you see swimming around? it all comes down to what is a threat and what isn't. bass are labeled a threat in trout waters if you think about it even a little bass can eat a whole bunch of smaller trout.browns eat trout too,but unlike Bass browns eat insects too like any trout species. a bass reaches two inches and turns into a meat eater,what other kind of meat besides trout does a bass have to eat in there? j

Last edited:
T
tomriker
bass also eat birds,mice,crawdads,frogs... LOTS of other bass...

brandon4455
brandon4455
that was a blonde moment,but still you get my point Lol.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
tomriker said:
bass also eat birds,mice,crawdads,frogs... LOTS of other bass...

Then they're in direct competition with the larger, native fish stocks. Large trout eat the same things, along with fish protien themselves. Which is another reason to remove the larger bass from the population in these lakes.

S
Senko86
Ok a no release policy is not an effective policy look at Japan's Lake Biwa is a world record bass fishery with a no release policy that obviously works lol. People have continually said that I have said bass help the trout and I have not once said they help the trout all I have said is a properly managed fishery would help the trout by preventing overpopulation of stunted bass. Yes bass eat trout, kokanee, insects, crawfish, brown bullhead catfish, and other bass up. Bass can eat fish up to 12", not many bass in oregon can do that, if the trout are going to survive they need there main food sources protected (insects) larger bass do no threaten this food source however they do eat the juvenilles. Which is better the trout have an ample food source and increasing the chances they will reach maturaty while some are eaten by bass or having the food source destroyed by small bass that directly compete with juvenille trout preventing them from having a chance to survive at all? Bass were illegally introduced but are not on the invasive species list please know your facts. Bass have been in wickiup for awhile and the trout fishery still is amazing you can still catch monster trout if the bass were decimating the trout it would have happened by now. As far as killing of the lakes please tell me where you are going to get the money? Do you know how many millions were spent on Diamond Lake now times that by at least three and you might be able to do it. Also in regards to the use of rotenone please understand this is a toxin willfully being released in large quantities into the environment and recent studies are showing exposure to rotenone has resulted in serious illness (Parkinsons Desease) in people even after the waters have supposedly become safe. Do bass belong in Wickiup no but they are there. Do Browns belong in Wickiup no but they are there the only difference is the browns are regulated and the bass are not. Removing the larger bass does not help the fishery how many times does this have to be explained. In response to all of those few anglers that hate and despise bass please get over it just because you can't enjoy a fishery does not mean you have try and prevent others from enjoying it. Bass are in Oregon to stay. The closest reasonable comment I have heard from anyone on how to handle the fish is a no release policy however that would be extremely hard to enforce and would likely not succeed however I do really appreciate the well thought out idea which is more than I can say for other comments I have seen.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
do some people think that they make trout swimbaits for no reason or maybe the bass think they are just eating something else? jeez LOL. thanks for the pic colby..epic

senko86, what makes you think it's right to support an illegally introduced non native species that could possibly compete with native fish? thats an honest serious question not a troll at all i'm not trying to be an ass at all. after all there are tons of lakes to fish for bass in oregon,right?. being an angler makes you responsible and it's your duty to be an ethical fisherman. that doesn't seem to e a very ethical thing to me. those stunted bass would be good for wickiup because big trout will eat little bass there wouldnt be any food competition because the bass are the food. if you think no limit on bass wouldnt help then why does the info in your original post show a down trend in larger bass being caught during tourneys?. heres what i see currently no limit on bass+ lots o people=smaller bass=less trout getting eaten and more food for trout sounds like it works to me . ive heard the argument "they are here to stay" But what makes that a good reason to make a fishery out of it? all im saying is everything seems good at its current state where people can fish for the bass but they are not a threat to other species, but if you try to boost the population and size of the fish it will screw things up

S
Senko86
Brandon obviously you and I don't see eye to eye on the results of small bass. Yes the browns could eat those smaller bass however for most of the year smaller bass and big browns do not utilize the same areas in the lake and would have minimal contact, I have never seen browns in willows and grass mats that could eat the bass. The lower tournament weights does not show that the no limit is helping the lake it is showing the fish are getting smaller which supports my stance on the end resuld being stunted fish. I am not, in my opinion, being unethical by supporting the proper management of fish I feel I am doing the exact opposite by supporting both the trout and the bass because the end result I see with an unmanaged bass population is negative for all the fish in the lake and negative for everyone who enjoys fishing there no matter the species.

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
Senko86 said:
Brandon obviously you and I don't seem eye to eye on the results of small bass. Yes the browns could eat those smaller bass however for most of the year smaller bass and big browns do not utilize the same areas in the lake and would have minimal contact, I have never seen browns in willows and grass mats that could eat the bass. I am not, in my opinion, being unethical by supporting the proper management of fish I feel I am doing the exact opposite by supporting both the trout and the bass because the end result I see with an unmanaged bass population is negative for all the fish in the lake and negative for everyone who enjoys fishing there no matter the species.

I've been fishing Wickiup for 24 years and I have seen large, very large, browns in the willows and grass mats. Browns remind of bass in so many ways. Not hatin.....just sayin.

S
Senko86
TTFishon, We must be fishing different willows and grass mats lol I have seen shallow browns but not in the places I have seen the bass, guess that is just two peoples different experiences on the same lake. It does seem that you would have more time on the water there, can I ask how commen you see the big browns in those places?

brandon4455
brandon4455
ted is right, especially at night browns will move into shallow water the bass also sometimes cross paths with the trout too.

senko86,thank you for answering that question,a lot of people usually just turn it on me or cough up an insult rather then engage in a conversation like a mature person.

ted, your an ass jk jk :lol:

all the best.

T
TTFishon
Senko86 said:
TTFishon, We must be fishing different willows and grass mats lol I have seen shallow browns but not in the places I have seen the bass, guess that is just two peoples different experiences on the same lake. It does seem that you would have more time on the water there, can I ask how commen you see the big browns in those places?

Pretty much during the month of June. It's funny cause I've had people literally laugh at me and tell me the water that I'm fishing is too shallow for browns. Hahaha, jokes on them because I've caught some pigs in 2 feet of water. Of course, it depends on how fast the water level is dropping. On average, June seems to be when the water is shallow enough for the grass mats to be just below the surface or at about the middle of the grass.

Maybe one of these days I'll see you out there. Don't worry, I'll give you a sincere, happy, how's it going. BTW, not sure if you know who I am or remember me, but I have some of your jigs from the little bass tourney you and TR had in Albany.

Also, good for you for fighting for the bass and what you believe in even though I disagree when it comes to Wickiup.

B
bigthackara
This is pretty simple for me, I personally would never drive to wikiup for bass fishing. I can fish a freeway pond, or any of the lakes in the valley (fern,fall creek, dorena, cg, dexter, lookout etc) for bass. So why would I drive Clear to a lake in the mountains? Doesn't make sense! Instead of damaging world class fisheries, why don't we protect them? If you really in your mind think that an irrigation res like Wikiup is not affected by the bass you are flat out lying to yourself! We are talking 12 months of fish intermingling here! The nutrient load has a max, so the biomass of the bass is coming from somewhere!

Answer this honestly, would the average oregon angler rather catch a 15lb brown or 5 lb bow? Or a 4 or 5 lb largie?

Sorry central oregon guys, if you don't like trout fishing move away from the adipose mecca!