Simplified fishing regs

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
it's almost like someone has been paying attention to the comments about the regs...

ODFW to unveil easier, simplified trout and warmwater fishing regulations, June 3, 2015

SALEM, Ore. – For new anglers, Oregon’s complex fishing regulations can be daunting. Even seasoned anglers claim they frequently need a law degree to help them understand what’s allowed and what’s not.

Over the years, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife has heard an earful from the fishing community about how its regulations make fishing less fun, and pose a barrier to new anglers getting started. Beginning earlier this year, the agency embarked on a process to try to simplify the state’s trout and warmwater fishing regulations in time for the 2016 seasons.

“We’ve looked at every water body across the state, trying to develop common regulations, consistent language, and increased fishing opportunities,” said Mike Gauvin, ODFW recreational fisheries program manager. Because of their popularity and appeal to beginning anglers, the simplification process is beginning with trout and warmwater fisheries, Gauvin added.

Anglers will have a chance to hear about the results of this effort in a series of eight public meetings to be held throughout the state in June and July. Gauvin points out that these meetings are not part of the agency’s traditional public process for soliciting new regulations.

Examples of some of the changes include:

Eliminating the April trout opener and (with a few exceptions) opening those areas to year-round fishing.
Standardizing catch limits for trout.
Maintaining consistency in the how the regulations are listed.
“There still will be a few exceptions to the general rules,” Gauvin said, “but they will be far fewer and easier to understand.”

Not only will the rules themselves be simplified, but there will be an easier-to-read format and clearer language in the sport fishing regulations booklet. Beginning in 2016, regulations will be adopted, and new regulation booklets will be printed, every two years instead of every year.

“Trout and warmwater regulations don’t change much from year-to-year, and in-season regulations for salmon are posted on the ODFW website, so we saw an opportunity to save some money and time by printing regulations less often,” Gauvin said.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2015/june/060315.asp

plumbertom
plumbertom
This is a great idea, hope they actually implement it.
As a newby to Or fishing, when I first read the regs booklet, it seemed as if they were written for no other purpose than to write tickets for violations in order to increase ODFW's funding.

B
BaldTexan
Very much needed for us new comers to Oregon. There's no telling how much time I spent reading and rereading the regs everytime I went to fish a new body of water so I wouldn't be fishing illegally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W
wils
From the ODFW link from rogerdodger. The Bend meeting is now on my calender

All meetings will be from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m.

• Eugene, June 9, Lane County Community College, Bldg. 17 Rm. 308, 4000 E 30th Ave., Eugene 97405
  • Medford, June 16, Jackson County Roads and Parks Auditorium, 200 Antelope Way, White City 97503
  • Roseburg, June 17, ODFW District Office, 4192 N Umpqua Way, Roseburg 97470
  • Clackamas, June 18, ODFW District Office, 17330 SE Evelyn, Clackamas 97015
  • Klamath Falls, June 23, OR Institute of Technology, Mt. Bailey Room, 3201 Campus Drive, Klamath Falls 97601
  • Bend, June 29, Central OR Community College, Health Careers Center, Rm. 140, 2600 NW College Way, Bend 97701
  • La Grande, July 1, Island City – City Hall, 10605 Island Ave., Island City 97850
  • Newport, July 6, Hallmark Resort, 744 SE Elizabeth, Newport 97365

troutdude
troutdude
As a native Oregonian, I've never had any problems understanding the regs. But then again maybe that's due to 5 decades of experience--and growing up, with the changes as they occurred. So kudo's to ODFW, for making some proposed simplifications. Hopefully, it will be helpful to newbs.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
troutdude said:
As a native Oregonian, I've never had any problems understanding the regs. But then again maybe that's due to 5 decades of experience--and growing up, with the changes as they occurred. So kudo's to ODFW, for making some proposed simplifications. Hopefully, it will be helpful to newbs.

agreed, as a 'returning' Oregonian in 2010, I found them much more complex than when I was a young flytier in the mid-70's fishing the Blue Mts and Wallowa area...

plumbertom said:
This is a great idea, hope they actually implement it.
As a newby to Or fishing, when I first read the regs booklet, it seemed as if they were written for no other purpose than to write tickets for violations in order to increase ODFW's funding.

I do think this theory has some validity but would seem to require 2 components: complex regulations plus lots and lots of enforcement troopers. one without the other doesn't seem like 'plan' for revenue...seems more likely the regs. got complex over time because that just happens, basically an entropy thing- stuff always tends to get more messed up (less well organized) unless energy is expended to push back against the relentless march towards chaos...cheers, roger