Pontoon drift 6/5 or 6/6

L
LuckyFisher
I bought a pontoon boat a month or so ago to be able to drift the Alsea, Siletz, Santiam, and maybe the Nestucca. I have yet to use it though as I'm a bit apprehensive about trying it out on my own. Would anyone on here with a pontoon boat be interested in fishing this coming Thursday or Friday on maybe the Siletz, S. Santiam, or Nestucca? I'd feel a lot more comfortable heading down the river on the 'toon if there was at least someone else there for my first try. Feel free to PM me.

Also, I primarily either float eggs under a bobber or drift fish with eggs. I imagine that's going to be tough to do while trying to man the oars on the pontoon. What's the best method when on a pontoon? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Congrats on the toon! Have you had a chance to take it to a lake yet? If not, please do that first. Learning how to maneuver on calm water isn't even close to the lessons you will learn on the rivers but it is a start. Autofisher posted his scary experience on the Santiam, a river he has drifted several times. Have you read it? Hopefully you will find someone experienced enough to safely guide you through to your destination. The Santiam is a good choice, from the Jefferson boat ramp to the rest area south of Salem. Would it do any good to advise you actually wear a PFD?

J
JeannaJigs
LuckyFisher said:
Also, I primarily either float eggs under a bobber or drift fish with eggs. I imagine that's going to be tough to do while trying to man the oars on the pontoon. What's the best method when on a pontoon? Thanks in advance!

You won't be fishing from that pontoon, trust me. I did that once, epic disaster. A pontoon is not a stable fishing platform like a drift boat, but rather think of it as a taxi from point a to point b along the river. It expands your bank fishing access. Float along see something you want to fish? pull to the bank and fish it with two feet on solid ground.

As for getting together with others, definitely don't float alone if you've never maneuvered on moving water. It is not anything remotely similar to paddling around a lake, and things go wrong, very fast. I don't roll with pontoons anymore, I've got a drift boat these days, but there's many, many people on here that do, and hopefully someone will chime in and take you up on the buddy float offer.

L
LuckyFisher
Yes, I plan on using a PFD. I've even considered wearing a helmet, but that might be overkill.

Thanks Jenna - I appreciate the heads-up. I'm sure the first time out will be a huge learning experience.

A
autofisher
Highly recommend the float on the main stem santiam from jefferson boat ramp to the i-5 rest area. It's a pretty calm float, especially if you stay on the right on the first island and the second one too (if the water is high enough). Otherwise just float the right side of the left fork and you'll be fine. Side drifting is easy enough if but be prepared for snags. They've just improved the boat ramp at the rest area for high and low water, so it's pretty easy to maneuver. Good luck. If I wasn't already busted up and there weren't finals, I'd take you up on that offer.

R
radiation
First thing you need is a PFD. I bought a self inflating one and feel a lot safer. I've got a 12 lb. pyramid anchor and it works great. You might want to invest in a pair of float fins. A friend of mine turned me onto them. They allow to you manuver while both hands are free and you can back drift for drifting eggs or what have you. The fins slow you down enough that you can even fly fish. I've down the Willamette from Alton Baker down and floated the McKenzie from Greenwood down. No problem. You will enjoy it and you will learn a lot. pontoon.jpgpontoon1.jpg

Reactions: Raincatcher
W
waco
I'm floating the Nestucca next week, let me know if you want to go.