Osprey grabs the fish I'm fightin.

D
donjduck2
Nevr caught an osprey but have had them take fish i've just released,seems to happen all the time when i float the umpqua for smallmouth.I've had them hit the water just a few feet in back of my toon.The first time it happend it scares the hell outa me I didn't know what was going on till the osprey flow ober me with the fish.I have caught a seagull down at Winchester bay while fishing.I was using clam neck for bait,I cast out and right as the bait hit the water a gull grabbed it.I didn't even know I'd hooked it until he took back off the the drag on my reel started screaming and line was ripping off of it.Talk about a fight! I had to reel the dang thing in and try and unhook the gull,after a few min my friend and i got the gull in and unhooked but boy was that one ticked off gull.

H
Hooked on fishin'
I had that happen to me at JCP, I was reeling in my last fish and I saw the osprey diving toward it. I yelled at the osprey, but it ignored me, took my fish,broke my line and took my brand new kastmaster!! It was pretty cool though.

R
rippin fish lips
Hooked on fishin' said:
I had that happen to me at JCP, I was reeling in my last fish and I saw the osprey diving toward it. I yelled at the osprey, but it ignored me, took my fish,broke my line and took my brand new kastmaster!! It was pretty cool though.

Yeah it is a cool experience to have an osprey grab te fish you are fighting! Not to mention i was using 8lb mono line and a panther martin when i hooked the fish, and im pretty positive it had all 3 hooks in its mouth! I guess the lure wasn't ready to leave its favorite angler! lol.

well anyone else with a simular story with a fish grabbing there catch?

F
fishindude
In the late 70's while working at Howard Prairie resort I lost numerous fish to both ospreys and bald eagles . It always added some excitement to the trip .:lol::lol:

R
rippin fish lips
Yeah its only happend to me once, but now when im fishing if i see a shadow above i always look up to see if its coming down or not! always lol. My friend will say "watch out osprey" and i will even look up to find no bird in site!

H
Herefishyfishy
Last weekend my buddy was using a bobber with what he called a cheater in it, like a big, red foam corkie that showed him if he was fouled. This dang seagull would not leave that alone, it kept swoopin in and grabbing the cheater! It would get it a couple feet in the air then drop it, it did it about 10 times! He was ticked but I was laughing my butt off! I know it's not a bird grabbing a fish but I thought it would be a good story here!

H
Hooked on fishin'
Herefishyfishy said:
Last weekend my buddy was using a bobber with what he called a cheater in it, like a big, red foam corkie that showed him if he was fouled. This dang seagull would not leave that alone, it kept swoopin in and grabbing the cheater! It would get it a couple feet in the air then drop it, it did it about 10 times! He was ticked but I was laughing my butt off! I know it's not a bird grabbing a fish but I thought it would be a good story here!

They are pesky! I was bassin' at fern ridge the other day and I was casting a small rapala alongside the dock, well I casted on to the dock and a seagull grabbed my rapala and flew OFF! Broke my line and got my lure, I hope it did not try to eat it!

R
Rascal
its not happend to me but a guy i was fishing next to cast out a spinner and a duck bit it as it hit the water. he reeled it in and had to pull the hook out of the ducks mouth... man he got bit a lot but in the end the duck was fine