Oregon Sunfish, Mola Mola

A
alm21
We had a great day in Tillamook last weekend going 5-6 on salmon, 30+ crab and sunshine. And speaking of sunshine, we came across an Oregon Sunfish that I managed to get some footage of. You just never know what you'll see while on the water.

M
Modest_Man
Mola's are such a crazy fish. I've never heard them called Oregon Sunfish, they're found all over the world. They eat almost exclusively jellyfish, which is nuts considering how poor a diet jellyfish are, and they're also the heaviest known bony fish. The one in the video is pretty small still! They don't have a caudal (tail fin) at all. Their spine just ends after 12 vertebrae. I think they also produce more eggs than any other vertebrate, up to 300 million PER spawn.

That's pretty much all I remember about them. Cool find!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
That is a great video. :thumb: I would say you all had a very good day on the water. Thanks for sharing! :)

M
mikeredding
And might I add that they are VERY strong. We hooked one by accident while casting swim baits for tuna and it was the most epic battle I have ever engaged in. By far stronger than any fish I have ever hooked.

J
JeannaJigs
That is a crazy cool looking fish, looks like it belongs in tropical water and not the cold pacific. All kinds of crazy things swimming in the big blue.

bass
bass
Awesome video. Really crazy how they just sit on the surface like that. You know you don't have any enemies when you can float around like that..

FYI, I think the common name is Ocean Sunfish (rather than Oregon Sunfish).