Old vintage patterns

T
tljack
I am very interested in tying some of the very old patterns. Those of the 1800's and early 1900's.

These have all become dated but they caught lots of fish then and I suspect can do the same now. I really want to try some out.

Have been looking online and in the books but can not seem to locate any.

Can any of you get me some information about some of these patterns or tell me where to find what I am looking for?

C
Camo
Tijack,
Check out ''Art Flick's Stream Side Guide'', still in print. I seem to remember references to the original tied dries, wets, and duns in his book. (been a long time) The Green Drake was famous and one of the first patterns, Royal Coachman, also if my memory serves me.

All the patterns you seek were matching the hatch of British flies on British streams that have no counter part on American trout streams. The streamers and salmon flies were knockouts!

Another book, ''Fishing the Dry Fly As A Living Insect'' by Lenard M.Wright goes into the un-varnished history of fly fishing with chapters like'' The Fly that Fishermen Forgot'', ''Hints of heresy'' and ''killing flies and How to Tie Them''. I remember when his first book hit the stands. People hated him! Ya didn't even mention his name on the trout stream for fear of getting walloped with the butt end of a fly rod!

This reply probably doesn't help much except to bump your post to the top of the pile…..Sorry!

C.

T
tljack
Camo,

Thanks for posting to my question. Actually you offer some good information. Besides I am always interested in getting another book. I will get on Amazon and see what I can find.

Appreciate the time you took

Terry:)

Camo said:
Tijack,

This reply probably doesn't help much except to bump your post to the top of the pile…..Sorry!

C.

T
tljack
I just got around to looking at my March/April issue of Northwest Fly Fishing and came across an article titled, "Exposure, Classic Steelhead Flies". Pictured are a number of great shots of flies from the 1800's to 1950's.

P
pdxstruve
I see Art Flick's hardback fly tying books at Powell's all of the time. Usually pretty cheap too. Nailed mine for about $7.00. Great older patterns.

W
wetfly
If you're looking for old patterns in general, check out Carrie G. Stevens. Very interesting woman. Invented the Grey Ghost. Tied her flies in the back woods of Maine with...a finger vise. Not Salmon/Steelhead flies but very early American fly tying legend.