North Santiam Steelhead Fishing

B
branden28
Anybody having success on the n santiam for steelhead if so where are the fish at?

R
rippin fish lips
branden28 said:
Anybody having success on the n santiam for steelhead if so where are the fish at?

Not sure about that river as i don't fish it. but i am sure there is fish throughout the hole system. Fish up high, fish in the middle, and fish low if up high is slow.

J
jd15
we have been nailing them up high ive been useing a 14mm orang bead 3inches above a size1 hook with a 3 foot leader under a bober with the bober stop 4foot above the bober thts all me and my buddys fish up there and i hooked 6 yesterday morning but only landed one and it was a native my buddy hooked 8 and landed 6 but 4 of them where bucks so he let them go the other 2 where hens and he kept them

R
rippin fish lips
jd15 said:
we have been nailing them up high ive been useing a 14mm orang bead 3inches above a size1 hook

Why 3 inches above the hook??

S
steelhead_stalkers
Most run trout beads about an inch above the hook. It makes the bead look like a single egg. Same with using beads with a fly rod. 3 inches seems a little over kill but I'm sure it works fine.

B
branden28
What is this rig called and do you have a setup video on youtube I would love to try it out? I believe ive seen some of your videos online thats y I ask.

J
jd15
i do have videos of my freinds catching steelhead with this setupe but i havent, made a video of me showing it becuze my computer is slow so it takes like an hour to load a 5 minute video :(, but next time i head up there maybe we can meet up and i can show you exactly how to set it up?

branden28 said:
What is this rig called and do you have a setup video on youtube I would love to try it out? I believe ive seen some of your videos online thats y I ask.

J
jd15
just becuz ive cought more fish with it that way then any other lenth

rippin fish lips said:
Why 3 inches above the hook??

B
branden28
Cool thanks! What location on the river did you catch those steelhead. Me and my buddy are trying to catch our first steelhead you can dm me if you need to. I just want to feel like im in a good hole ive been fishing n santiam park and gates bridge. Thanks

R
RLK
jd15 said:
we have been nailing them up high ive been useing a 14mm orang bead 3inches above a size1 hook with a 3 foot leader under a bober with the bober stop 4foot above the bober thts all me and my buddys fish up there and i hooked 6 yesterday morning but only landed one and it was a native my buddy hooked 8 and landed 6 but 4 of them where bucks so he let them go the other 2 where hens and he kept them

So the fish hit the bead and you pull the hook into the fish?

C
ChezJfrey
RLK said:
So the fish hit the bead and you pull the hook into the fish?

I tend to doubt it. Those fish have fairly big mouths and use quite the vacuum suction to inhale. I fish spoons that are a little over 2", with a 1/0 hook and have had more than a few take the lure completely down where the hook buries pretty deep in their mouth; and spoons carry a bit more weight. I would imagine a light bead and just a hook, even a couple inches from the bead, would most times be drawn completely into the mouth as well.

The distance of the bead more likely just compels them to bite a little more often as it probably looks like a more natural presentation without the hook distorting the profile.

B
branden28
Ok I rigged up the bead but didn't use it long because the bead & hook would get tangled on the weight or float more often than not is there something im doing wrong or do I just need to cast easier?

Last edited:
T
tonym
You could try putting split shot evenly spread along your leader(I use bb size 8" apart usually). If that doesn't help try lightly pressing your finger against the bail right before your gear hits the water slowing down the line and flipping the hook straight foreword. If that still doesn't work and you are using the bead method you can clamp a split shot or two right onto your hook shank. Just practice.

J
jd15
that is exactly right, the fish tend to think it is a lone floating egg

ChezJfrey said:
I tend to doubt it. Those fish have fairly big mouths and use quite the vacuum suction to inhale. I fish spoons that are a little over 2", with a 1/0 hook and have had more than a few take the lure completely down where the hook buries pretty deep in their mouth; and spoons carry a bit more weight. I would imagine a light bead and just a hook, even a couple inches from the bead, would most times be drawn completely into the mouth as well.

The distance of the bead more likely just compels them to bite a little more often as it probably looks like a more natural presentation without the hook distorting the profile.

J
jd15
no dont put a split shot on it becuz you will end up flossing them if you do, i know becuz ive tried putting one on and i kept hokking the fish outside in, and it just takes practice to learn how to cast the setup the right way

tonym said:
You could try putting split shot evenly spread along your leader(I use bb size 8" apart usually). If that doesn't help try lightly pressing your finger against the bail right before your gear hits the water slowing down the line and flipping the hook straight foreword. If that still doesn't work and you are using the bead method you can clamp a split shot or two right onto your hook shank. Just practice.

H
halibuthitman
It is illegal to peg a bead more than 2 inches from a hook, any more than 1 inch is almost snagging, and putting shot behind the presentation or bait is blatant snagging and is illegal as well for salmon and steeldead in oregon. It is ignorant **** like this that makes bead fishing look dirty. This thread should be deleted for ethical reasons.

J
jd15
ok so i did not know that and i have never heard it before, my bad

halibuthitman said:
It is illegal to peg a bead more than 2 inches from a hook, any more than 1 inch is almost snagging, and putting shot behind the presentation or bait is blatant snagging and is illegal as well for salmon and steeldead in oregon. It is ignorant **** like this that makes bead fishing look dirty. This thread should be deleted for ethical reasons.

R
rippin fish lips
halibuthitman said:
This thread should be deleted for ethical reasons.[/QUOTE

I agree!

And that is why i asked "why 3 inches above the hook?" Just seems so unethical to me when a fish will bite a bead sitting right on the hook just finee.

Dead on about the splitshot on the hook.

R
rippin fish lips
jd15 said:
ok so i did not know that and i have never heard it before, my bad

There is REG books all over the place, and they are FREE.

J
JeannaJigs
Holy hell. This whole cluster-F of a thread makes me sad for the future (or lack thereof) of salmon and steelhead fishing. The ignorance of a few is going to F us all. There is absolutely no excuse for any of this crap. Split shot on the hook shank?! Are you effing kidding me, good lord.!!!