%$@&!&* North fork Santiam Springers!!!!!!

K
Kodiak
I've only got 38 more to go

I've only got 38 more to go

I typically put 20 springers in the deep freeze. Last year I couldn't fish the santiams and out of pure spite refused to drive for them. so thats 40 fish I gotta bonk...must keep up the average. Picked up a "typical" santiam springer this morning much brighter than the last one, but turned darker once bled. If vengance happens twice in a row is it considered a vendetta? I will be under mill city bridge tonight at 5:30ish for those caring to join in....Will also be employing a new tactic mos have not seen before for upriver springers that will also work at river mill dam. It is soooo lethal and easy you wonder A)why it is legal, and B)why didn't I think of that?

M
metalmania
Dang man i'm gonna have to make it down there soon. I need chrome and some new spinners. Seriously those mini's aren't fair to the fish:D.

K
Kodiak
some nicer fish moved in over the last few days was getting set to slap one and it started raining....it doesn't count as a skunk if only got ten minutes in and had to go home does it?

J
Johnny Southpaw
Hey nice fish there Kodiak-thanks for the pics. As far as getting skunked goes, you said it yourself: "No scales on net or bank = skunkola! I try am super critical on myself about that..sure its a gray area but no fishy, no glory." So, if after 10 minutes, no fishy, consider yourself skunked! I'm not quite as critical of myself however, and I smell like skunk upon returning from the water more often than not, so 10 minutes of fishing with no action wouldn't be a big deal for me. Wish it were, but I'm not quite there yet.

Also, as far as your boy not being interested in fishing, cleaning a deer or changing the oil, give him some time. If he has any inkling of interest he will engage when he's ready; give him opportunities to partake but don't push it too hard! Don't mean to meddle with family affairs, but wanted to OFFer my take.

More pics of Santiam fish please!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Pint sized fishing dynamo

Pint sized fishing dynamo

Johnny Southpaw said:
Hey nice fish there Kodiak-thanks for the pics. As far as getting skunked goes, you said it yourself: "No scales on net or bank = skunkola! I try am super critical on myself about that..sure its a gray area but no fishy, no glory." So, if after 10 minutes, no fishy, consider yourself skunked! I'm not quite as critical of myself however, and I smell like skunk upon returning from the water more often than not, so 10 minutes of fishing with no action wouldn't be a big deal for me. Wish it were, but I'm not quite there yet.

Also, as far as your boy not being interested in fishing, cleaning a deer or changing the oil, give him some time. If he has any inkling of interest he will engage when he's ready; give him opportunities to partake but don't push it too hard! Don't mean to meddle with family affairs, but wanted to OFFer my take.

More pics of Santiam fish please!

I had the pleasure of meeting Kodiak's son a month or so ago. At that time he was a little fishing machine! :D All he talked about was fishing and he did not hesitate to let me know he could out fish most adults. A real pint sized copy of Dad. I'm guessing he's met a cute lil girl who doesn't care for the smell of fish. :confused: He'll get back into it when the newness of "girls" wears OFF. If not...toss him back! :lol: :lol:
Be safe.
Barb

T
Troutweiser is lifeblood
beautiful fish!!!!

K
Kodiak
Thank you!

B
bassman503
is it jus me?(my unknowledged 14 yr old eyes)The fish looks kinda messed up color wise. it looks like one of those trash/garbage/bait stealing fishes in video games xD. ANy ways NICE FISH! I haven't gone salmon or stealhead fishing in a longg timee.

K
Kodiak
bassman503 said:
is it jus me?(my unknowledged 14 yr old eyes)The fish looks kinda messed up color wise. it looks like one of those trash/garbage/bait stealing fishes in video games xD. ANy ways NICE FISH! I haven't gone salmon or stealhead fishing in a longg timee.

when you kill a salmon or steelhead for that matter or just about any fish they change color. If you look below his dorsal that lighter spot was his color all over before bleeding him, i have a special rock that holds my fish upside down to bleed them better and thats why the imprint on his side and back. As far as meat is considered it cut red, like it was just out of the salt. Most of the springers in the santiam will cut red till mid july when i let them alone to go make babies and pummel steelies until Fall chinook and coho kick in.

B
bassman503
Kodiak said:
when you kill a salmon or steelhead for that matter or just about any fish they change color. If you look below his dorsal that lighter spot was his color all over before bleeding him, i have a special rock that holds my fish upside down to bleed them better and thats why the imprint on his side and back. As far as meat is considered it cut red, like it was just out of the salt. Most of the springers in the santiam will cut red till mid july when i let them alone to go make babies and pummel steelies until Fall chinook and coho kick in.

K thanks for clearing it up a bit. i gotchu now

J
Johnny Southpaw
Santiam Guru turns me on to my first Nook!

Santiam Guru turns me on to my first Nook!

Drove to Mill City this morning, met up with the Santiam Guru and he turned me on to my first Nook!! :dance::dance: Wasn't the 'Buick' I was hoping for, more like a Kia, but it fought hard nonetheless. Just got done cleaning it up and it cut beautiful. Going to eat on it tonight and tomorrow. My wife is SUPER HAPPY:D:D:D I was amazed at how much knowledge Kodiak has regarding a wide variety of fishing techniques, and he showed me the ropes jigging with herring. Dude knows his stuff, for sure. It isn't often you come by someone with that much knowledge and skill who is so willing to share and help like he is. My hats OFF to him!:clap::clap: I definitely recommend OFFers who have the opportunity to hit the water with him to do so. Thanks a ton Kodiak!:D

Reactions: Admin
K
Kodiak
Congratulations on your first springer! Well done, most people don't pick up on some of the subtilties as fast as you!:clap::clap::clap:

Reactions: Admin
M
metalmania
Nice job to both of you:clap:, i'm gonna have to get off my @$$ and get down there.

F
FishSchooler
When are you gonna come up to the clack again? :D

J
Johnny Southpaw
Where the springers?

Where the springers?

So, Kodiak, why no pics of Springers from N. Santiam all last week? I know you were out on the river at some point, and I know you know how to kill fish, so where da pics?

K
Kodiak
Mojo broken

Mojo broken

I've got the dropsies like you would not believe. I've hooked up several times..just can't finish the job. I go throught this every year...it's my june swoon...just like the giants...It will end verry shortly...suprised it took this long to find me this year. Hooked three last night on a #6 candy pink predator mini, two this morning, last one was a good fish and poped me OFF. #%^&#$%#%^&@#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
J
Johnny Southpaw
Ahh, I see. At least you're gettin' into some fish. Hit the siletz today, skunkola. Some nice fish coming out of there though, as evidenced by recent pics at Logsden store. Starting to feel like summer steel won't ever come out to play with me. Going to try my luck on N. Santiam next sunday hopefully.

M
metalmania
Kodiak said:
I've got the dropsies like you would not believe. I've hooked up several times..just can't finish the job. I go throught this every year...it's my june swoon...just like the giants...It will end verry shortly...suprised it took this long to find me this year. Hooked three last night on a #6 candy pink predator mini, two this morning, last one was a good fish and poped me OFF. #%^&#$%#%^&@#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allright man where you chuckin hardware? Should I start beggin now:lol:.

T
Troutier Bassier
Do you guys keep the Salmon/Steelhead that are like.... Dark beat up old like that?
I wouldent, Looks nasty.

F
FishSchooler
They arent acutally old/dark/beat up, but that's just how they look after they are bled.