Nice Brook from the Upper D

L
leonmckee
Landed this 17 1/2 inch Brook on Friday. He had some shoulders and a mouth of teeth. Going on the grill today!

Leon McKee

Leon-McKee-Brook-Trout.jpg

Reactions: Admin
troutdude
troutdude
Wow! One of the nicest Brookies I have ever seen. Enjoy.

O
OnTheFly
That fish is yoked! I love poking flies around in the Upper Deschutes especially between Lava and Crane.

L
leonmckee
Thanks guys!

Landed him in the stretch between Little Lava and Crane on a #9 yellow body/red dots/silver blade Panther Martin. Funny in that I spent half my life fishing in Colorado and never "ever" used anything larger than a #4 Panther Martin in a river. Moved to Bend in 1999 and had limited success until I started using #9s. I've since learned that #9 in black/yellow dots/gold blade work great for me in the Lower Deschutes while both color schemes seem to work well in the Upper Deschutes. I do go smaller when I target the 8 to 12 inch Brooks, but for everything else I've been sticking with the #9 and maybe a #6 depending on conditions. Heck, I've even caught Bulls as small as 14 inches on a #15 Panther Martin while Steelhead fishing in the Lower D. I could not believe they could get their mouth around the lure! Aggressive fish here in Central Oregon. I love it!

Leon McKee

Last edited:
L
leonmckee
Check out his teeth:

Leon-McKee-Brook-Trout-Teeth.jpg

S
steelhead_slayer
love those fish and that whole river. congrats

jamisonace
jamisonace
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I need to explore that area more we have some property about 45 minutes from there. This fall should present some good opportunities for me to get up there.

S
steelhead_slayer
I think that section closes Sept. 30th

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
steelhead_slayer said:
I think that section closes Sept. 30th

YEP!! and you only have a week left below Crane

S
steelhead_slayer
Was the water high?

J
JohnOD
Nice fish Leon... love those white tips!

L
leonmckee
steelhead_slayer said:
Was the water high?

The flow was a little higher than normal and the fish seemed a little deeper in the holes.

Leon McKee

L
leonmckee
JohnOD said:
Nice fish Leon... love those white tips!

Thanks! I've always thought the brook was a stunning fish once it hit 15 or 16 inches.

Leon McKee

S
steelhead_slayer
Thanks

1archery1
Pat

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
I'm speechless. Those are the nicest Brookies, that my peepers have ever seen. Period.

H
halibuthitman
those are some of the biggest brookies ive ever seen, do you eat them? I always loved the taste of brookies in Idaho-

1archery1
Most for sure..they are some of the best tasting fish that there are...my son turns most fish back but even he enjoys eating a brook trout now and then !!

1archery1
ok

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
Shawn is a good guy for sure, but tell him it's time to chase some steel, and to give me a call.

Last edited: