New to Wickiup

A
Ariel&Jared12
Hello everyone!

We might be headed to Wickiup this weekend to pick up a boat. However, we are not familiar with this reservoir. Does anybody have any information about where good fishing is at on the water and what to use? Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
A&J :)

troutdude
troutdude
Been a while; nice to see you on here again.

Have you looked through the archived Wickiup threads on here? You'll find lots of good information. I've only been there once or twice, without much luck...or I'd chime in.

Good luck. I'll look forward to your report.

A
Ariel&Jared12
troutdude said:
Been a while; nice to see you on here again.

Have you looked through the archived Wickiup threads on here? You'll find lots of good information. I've only been there once or twice, without much luck...or I'd chime in.

Good luck. I'll look forward to your report.

Yes, it has been! Thank you.

I've glanced through previous posts but I haven't actually read them. I guess I should do that, hah. I noticed there are a lot of brown trout in this lake. I've only been fishing for a year (this season is the start of my second) and my first fish caught was a little brownie. Maybe I'll get lucky here and catch my second brown.

Thank you. I'll definitely post about our experience if we head up this weekend.

T
TTFishon
Black and silver Rapalas are the ticket to the browns. I prefer the suspending ones the best. You can either troll them or cast and retrieve. Or you can thread a whole nightcrawler up onto your hook and line and fish it off the bottom with only the weight of a swivel. Good luck.

A
Ariel&Jared12
TTFishon said:
Black and silver Rapalas are the ticket to the browns. I prefer the suspending ones the best. You can either troll them or cast and retrieve. Or you can thread a whole nightcrawler up onto your hook and line and fish it off the bottom with only the weight of a swivel. Good luck.

Thank you for the input. Did you still fish with the worms? Because I'm still so new to fishing, I haven't fully learned how to cast &retrieve yet but I'm learning little by little. Trolling, I feel like I won't know when I get a hit. Haha. I guess I should do it more so I know what it feels like. My boyfriend on the other hand, always prefers casting &retrieving over still fishing. So, I know he'll use your advice on the Rapalas.

T
TTFishon
Yes, I still fish my worms on the bottom. Sometimes I will use a sliding sinker but usually I only use the weight of a swivel and the worm and you will know when you get hit while trolling because they usually slam your lure pretty hard.

H
Halfthrive
When I do go there I prefer fishing the Deschutes arm, good camping and fishing.

T
Thuggin4Life
buy my baot and take it up there i just had it up there its a proven wickiup brown and koke slayer and it is more than enough boat to handle the waves.

A
Ariel&Jared12
TTFishon said:
Yes, I still fish my worms on the bottom. Sometimes I will use a sliding sinker but usually I only use the weight of a swivel and the worm and you will know when you get hit while trolling because they usually slam your lure pretty hard.

Ok. Good information. Thank you!

A
Ariel&Jared12
Halfthrive said:
When I do go there I prefer fishing the Deschutes arm, good camping and fishing.

We'll check it out when we get the chance to head up. Thank you.

A
Ariel&Jared12
Thuggin4Life said:
buy my baot and take it up there i just had it up there its a proven wickiup brown and koke slayer and it is more than enough boat to handle the waves.

Haha. What kind is it? It's for my boyfriends Dad. He sold his river boat and wants a big lake boat.

A
Ariel&Jared12
I don't think we're heading up anymore. The guy decided to sell it to someone else before informing us when we had first dibs on it. Oh well. It will just take some time to find another one, unfortunately. :( However, we still would like information because we want to head to Wickiup once we get a boat. When we head up and catch some, we will post our story :)

T
TTFishon
Ariel&Jared12 said:
I don't think we're heading up anymore. The guy decided to sell it to someone else before informing us when we had first dibs on it. Oh well. It will just take some time to find another one, unfortunately. :( However, we still would like information because we want to head to Wickiup once we get a boat. When we head up and catch some, we will post our story :)

That sucks. Not sure if this means anything to you now but I've caught just as many fish at Wickiup from the bank that I have from a boat.

A
Ariel&Jared12
TTFishon said:
That sucks. Not sure if this means anything to you now but I've caught just as many fish at Wickiup from the bank that I have from a boat.

It means something to me, haha. I'm just not sure when we can get over there now. Hopefully soon! I'm dyin' to catch some browns.

T
TTFishon
Ariel&Jared12 said:
It means something to me, haha. I'm just not sure when we can get over there now. Hopefully soon! I'm dyin' to catch some browns.

Let me know when you decide to head over there and I can PM you some locations that have produced well for me in the past.

O
OnTheDrop
I have fished it twice this week.. Nothing tooo big. The biggest of only a few fish hooked was around 23" maybe. Large offerings are what provoked a few strikes... All was right around the "D" arm.

T
Thuggin4Life
It's in the sell section. It's a 12' lake boat that went through the hands of xzibit on an episode of pimp my ride. Never has the been a boat as small as mine with as many bells and whistles. And it will eat any other12' boat on the market for breakfast.