Umpqua trout / bass tips please

troutdude
troutdude
Hello everyone. A few of my high school classmates, and I, will be camping at Lemolo Lake in late June. Where we plan to fish for Browns and Bows. But I'm wondering where I could find a good spot, or two, to fish on the way back to Roseburg on my trip back home. So somewhere between Lemolo and Roseburg.

I'd love to find some good spots/holes for either trout or smallies. Any tips or tricks--or good stretches of the Umpqua--would be greatly appreciated, especially where I could get into some smallies.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
You'll need to get down to the South or Main Umpqua for bass but I love to fly fish for trout on the North. The area I fish for trout is very productive but is within the fly only boundaries.

Are you fishing from the bank or do you have a boat you could put on the river? I ask because you'll have much better luck from a boat if you're bass fishing the Umpqua.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
jamisonace said:
You'll need to get down to the South or Main Umpqua for bass but I love to fly fish for trout on the North. The area I fish for trout is very productive but is within the fly only boundaries.

Are you fishing from the bank or do you have a boat you could put on the river? I ask because you'll have much better luck from a boat if you're bass fishing the Umpqua.
@jamisonace thank you my friend. I forgot to mention that I'll be on foot, throwing from the bank. And I didn't realized that I'll driving alongside the North Fork. I'm just not at all familiar with that area.

Since it'll be a 4 hour trip home; I don't really want to go south and add to that time. Was just hoping to stop along the North Fork somewhere for a bit, on the way back to Roseburg. Before turning north on I-5, to head home.

jamisonace
jamisonace
You'll want to explore the N Umpqua then. Bring a fly rod and I'll get you dialed in on an area I like.

troutdude
troutdude
troutdude said:
@jamisonace thank you my friend. I forgot to mention that I'll be on foot, throwing from the bank.

jamisonace said:
You'll want to explore the N Umpqua then. Bring a fly rod and I'll get you dialed in on an area I like.
Okay. Will do. Thanks again.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
There are several raft launches, campgrounds, and pullouts all along the North. Most have some halfway decent bank access trail without needing to swan dive off of a hill. Make sure you check the regulations before you go. There are some special regulations if you are in the fly boundary above and beyond just using a fly.

Fly Area Boundary at Deadline Falls to marker below Soda Springs Dam near power plant enclosure

• Any type of rod or reel permitted.
  • No angling from a floating device.
  • No added weights or attachments (including strike indicators) to line, leader or fly, except non-fly monofilament lines may have a bobber or similar device attached.
  • Gear Restriction: Angling restricted to use of single, barbless artificial fly Jan 1 - Jun 30 and Oct 1 - Dec 31.
  • Gear Restriction: Angling restricted to use of single, barbless, unweighted, artificial fly Jul 1 - Sep 30.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
TheKnigit said:
There are several raft launches, campgrounds, and pullouts all along the North. Most have some halfway decent bank access trail without needing to swan dive off of a hill. Make sure you check the regulations before you go. There are some special regulations if you are in the fly boundary above and beyond just using a fly.

Fly Area Boundary at Deadline Falls to marker below Soda Springs Dam near power plant enclosure

• Any type of rod or reel permitted.
  • No angling from a floating device.
  • No added weights or attachments (including strike indicators) to line, leader or fly, except non-fly monofilament lines may have a bobber or similar device attached.
  • Gear Restriction: Angling restricted to use of single, barbless artificial fly Jan 1 - Jun 30 and Oct 1 - Dec 31.
  • Gear Restriction: Angling restricted to use of single, barbless, unweighted, artificial fly Jul 1 - Sep 30.
Good lookin' out. Thank you.