New rod-- questions

F
FG_Fishing8
I came home from school for thanksgiving break and decided to give black friday a try. Ended up at fishermen's where Lamiglas x-11's were on sale for $54 and found the one that would work best for bobber fishing for salmon. It's a 9 ft 6 in, 1-8 oz lure weight, and 15-30 line weight. So it definitely has what it takes to bobber fish for chinook, but I didn't notice until I got home, I was too excited with the price, that it had eyes like a trolling rod. Should this make a difference or should I be fine?

B
brewer
I don't want to rain on your parade but if it is a casting/trolling rod and you wanted to run it with spin gear I don't think that will work very well. I say this for three reasons one the tighter guides may not work for the way the line feeds of a spinning reel, tow the spine of the rod should be set to bend the direction the rod is intended. A casting rod should bend more naturally away from the guides a spinning rod toward the guides. Finally does it have a trigger grip, because that will be upside down.

Someone else that knows more than me may correct me but that's my two cents.

On an up note that is a good price and you should have no problem reselling it for that price. Personally I actually use casting rods as float rods so you could always get a casting reel and try that out. I wouldn't mind a rod like that so let me know if you decide to sell!

B
brewer
You've probably thought of this but can you bring it back to the store and swap it for the equivalent spin model I would think they would do that as usually the models are the same price, if that doesn't work maybe lamiglas would do that for you. Anyways best of luck you deserve to be excited to put rod to work.

F
FG_Fishing8
I knew I was getting a casting rod, that's not the issue. I intended to get a casting rod. It's just that it appears to be a trolling rod,

F
FG_Fishing8
I'm just wondering if it being a trolling rod makes a difference.

B
brewer
Ok missed the boat on that one, interested to see what others think about this. I was looking at those rods last week thinking they would be nice to have as a float rod for salmon as they don't really seem to have any in that line that would work if these don't. I actually got a the 9' 6" 6-15 to try as a float rod for steelhead. Wish they made a 9' 6" or 10' in the 10-20# in this line.

B
bigboy70
8-17 okuna sst10'6 has been money for me. Why do say its a trolling rod?

hobster
hobster
brewer said:
I don't want to rain on your parade but if it is a casting/trolling rod and you wanted to run it with spin gear I don't think that will work very well. I say this for three reasons one the tighter guides may not work for the way the line feeds of a spinning reel, tow the spine of the rod should be set to bend the direction the rod is intended. A casting rod should bend more naturally away from the guides a spinning rod toward the guides. Finally does it have a trigger grip, because that will be upside down.

Someone else that knows more than me may correct me but that's my two cents.

On an up note that is a good price and you should have no problem reselling it for that price. Personally I actually use casting rods as float rods so you could always get a casting reel and try that out. I wouldn't mind a rod like that so let me know if you decide to sell!

You are correct but you can use a baitcaster with a spinning reel. I landed my 1st ten or so steelhead on a 6'6 8-20 ugly stick baittcaster with a spinning reel and all were drift fishing. No sensitivity but it sure was a good way to learn how to feel the bite! My next rod was a cheap chinese Lami but the difference was night and day. I knew the difference between the rod and reel but was just broke. I would not recommend it but it can work.

F
FG_Fishing8
bigboy70 said:
8-17 okuna sst10'6 has been money for me. Why do say its a trolling rod?
By the amount of eyes it has

B
bigboy70
Oh kool didn't know ain't got nothing to troll with

H
halibuthitman
Trolling rod is just branding, my have a longer butt or closer guides but that same thing happens between Brands.. if you wanted a casting rod, you have one- as far as im concerned a 9 footer is waaaay to long for me to want to use as a trolling rod-

H
halibuthitman
myself, I would return it for a 10-20.. 15-30 is just a meatpole, and will not be much more than just a nook rod, with lousy sensitivity-

S
Steel4life
Love lamiglas, I too bought the same exact pole about 3or 4 months ago. The first coho I hooked on the clack broke it right at part where you assemble it. Fisherman's wouldnt trade poles out for me and the guy at lamiglas said to send in the broke piece so they could replace just the broken piece. Not to be a snob, I wanted a whole knew pole cause I thought the pole was defected, my request was denied and unfortunately I no longer use the brand lamiglas. Back to the point, it was my bobber pole and it was perfect for mending line. Was able to let my bobber float at least 30 yards down stream without much drag on the bobber. All in all it should do the trick

T
troutmasta
halibuthitman said:
Trolling rod is just branding, my have a longer butt or closer guides but that same thing happens between Brands..-

Bingo-
I have the same rod, and by that I mean a 15-30 x11. I use it for bobber fishing and even running plugs, (mine's about 4" shorter due to a broken tip) but eh I love the many close guides on that thing, they distribute the tension through the thicker rod nicely.
As a matter of fact, the last nook I caught was on that rod. I have it paired with a Abu 5501,

Sad note, the X-11 only has a limited one year warranty. I just got a 10' 6" Lami Redline- Lifetime Warranty and I mend any bend in my line.

Lots of blood with my X-11 though-

S
Steel4life
^^ third person I know to give I good review bout their redline series. I'll have to check it out. And with a life warranty, won't be to worried if it breaks