New drift boat!!!

my2labs
my2labs
JeannaJigs said:
I get hit with a lot of comments anyways because I'm not a guy, and I row my own boat,

My wife fishes with me often. She draws many weird comments as well. I always laugh at the fools who are shocked to see her out there. Especially when she catches fish right next to them. [emoji6]

And yah.... I can't wait to see what she (my boat) is going to look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my2labs
my2labs
Here are some updated pics.

I may have bitten off more than I wish I had to chew. However, I will not stop "chewing." This "labor of love" as it was called by a fellow OFFer, is becoming quite a job.

I will continue to bring her back though.

Just wanted to show a little progress.

FYI, this is hard. It may look easy, but it isn't. It takes a lot longer than I had planned, and it seems that new little "discoveries" (bad crap) seems to keep popping up.

My advice would be to make sure that you are up for the challenge if you are going to embark on a restore. I had planned to dive in but figured it would be fairly easy and quick. Not the case. However, as I've stated before, I have the time and most of the tools so….. I'll be slumming it on the bank ;) for awhile longer while she (my boat) heals up. (Just kidding, I love bank fishing!)

my2labs
my2labs
Photos

Photos

Why I always forget to attach the photos before posting, Ill never know…….

• port side sanded.JPG
  • Stem rot.JPG
  • chine rot .JPG
  • chine rot 2.JPG
  • inside view.JPG
B
BaldTexan
Keep pecking away. You'll get there. ALL of my past wood working projects end up taking twice as much time as I think they will!

my2labs
my2labs
I'm not deterred. The only thing that makes me slightly impatient is that I haven't fished a day since I got her. All of my time has been devoted to the project. Seems as though I'll have to change up my approach a bit and wet a few lines in between restore days.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
my2labs said:
Here are some updated pics.

I may have bitten off more than I wish I had to chew. However, I will not stop "chewing." This "labor of love" as it was called by a fellow OFFer, is becoming quite a job.

I will continue to bring her back though.

Just wanted to show a little progress.

FYI, this is hard. It may look easy, but it isn't. It takes a lot longer than I had planned, and it seems that new little "discoveries" (bad crap) seems to keep popping up.

My advice would be to make sure that you are up for the challenge if you are going to embark on a restore. I had planned to dive in but figured it would be fairly easy and quick. Not the case. However, as I've stated before, I have the time and most of the tools so….. I'll be slumming it on the bank ;) for awhile longer while she (my boat) heals up. (Just kidding, I love bank fishing!)

I always try to plan for projects to take more time and money than expected...then if I am lucky they don't take even longer...focus on how great the rebuilt boat is going to be (especially once it gets bloody)

B
BaldTexan
No doubt! Go fish! Take your time and enjoy the restore or it will seem like a chore. I used to get annoyed with projects because I had expectations of completing a certain aspect over a weekend. Impossible to account for the unseen.

my2labs
my2labs
Thanks Roger.

I can see it. It just a ways away right now. :)

B
BaldTexan
rogerdodger said:
I always try to plan for projects to take more time and money than expected...then if I am lucky they don't take even longer...focus on how great the rebuilt boat is going to be (especially once it gets bloody)

Yes! A restored pretty wooden boat bespeckled with fresh blood! :)

D
Dizle
If you want to take a break and ride in an aluminum drift boat with a fairly inexperienced rower ( I'm learning) I'd be willing to take you on the river, let me know

my2labs
my2labs
Dizle said:
If you want to take a break and ride in an aluminum drift boat with a fairly inexperienced rower ( I'm learning) I'd be willing to take you on the river, let me know

That's super nice. I may take you up on that offer. But it wouldn't be for a little while.

What river do you run mostly?

Chromatose
Chromatose
Now that you have done the easy part, you get to do some rebuilding. Good Job by you for the feet first jump. Do go out bank fishing, go out as much as you can. It will give you even more reasons to move forward when thoughts of Chewing off to much get in the way. Press on little Camper, Press on!!!

my2labs
my2labs
BaldTexan said:
Enjoying watching the progress. Little tip - if you'll hook up a shop vac hose to the sander, the sandpaper with last 10 times longer. Reading your thread has got me hankering again to buy some plans and build one.

So today I sanded the bottom of the inside of the boat. And I gotta hand it to the BaldTexan!!!! Sandpaper performance and longevity was waaaaaaay better when the sander was hooked up to the shop vac.

Thanks Baldy!

The bottom has a couple of large patches that I will need to investigate. More to come....

And thanks for all the encouragement from everyone.

a8095d27b78dfc1e4295561f9c032277.jpg537a4733ce86a2300117bfc4817757b8.jpg3956748e4414533c23e0dcb96bb2a6be.jpg182d1e94aeba2fc98377f172f3e89ca1.jpg

B
BaldTexan
Enjoying the pics and progress. I wouldn't mind stopping by and having a look as I'm thinking of doing the same soon. I eventually want to build one, but that's a couple of years away. I've built a lot of furniture and cabinets so I'm handy with woodworking but I know jack diddly squat about boat construction. Send me a PM if you don't mind me coming over one day to gawk at your boat innards.

D
DrTheopolis
Maybe a sandblaster with fine media would be your ticket, if you have a decent compressor (as I make a way late suggestion).

my2labs
my2labs
Here's a little more progress. I had a bad case of the flu for a lot longer than I'd like to admit. But.... Now that that's out of the way, progress.

Finished sanding one side completely and scraped a bit of the starboard inside wall.

And enjoying the sun!

480806e0886e0e0542c4c1782d60ef6d.jpgd720de48330165319b05c915273b60f4.jpgc8fbe25418c761ce991a4a16a6d08f95.jpg3a7fa93b8a2aef6e300158f323f73a78.jpg2a501f59c46b8cfe407f7fb7cbd54d1a.jpg6a7a08aa1d4a9b11815028c58c4b8a6a.jpg85d322c8844f427347d2502cb0504d46.jpg

Oh yeah... And a shout out to Jeanna!! Your boat is very nice. Great job on it.

B
Billamicasr
I'm so impressed with your achievements and dedication... I cannot express it in words. I sure hope some one is hugging you for all the work you are doing; I know she'll turn out to be a cork on the water (that's a compliment).

I'm too old to do it again, but I've been there; I can appreciate all the raw knuckles, the bandages, the sacrifices.
Way to go!!!

my2labs
my2labs
Thank you sir. I'll take that compliment any day.
I bet my neighbors do not feel the same......[emoji57]

B
Billamicasr
I know you've documented the transition... I want a complete list of photos to post on the NoYaks.com Website when you have got her on the water and caught your first fish. You my friend are an achiever! Good Old Boat Magazine would be proud of you! It just so happens I know the editor of GOB magazine. When you finish; if you want to strut a bit I'll almost guarantee she will accept a write up with photos.

Have you decided on a final color? If not consider Cherry; I can tell you first hand that color attracts attention. Here I am thinking final color while you are considering what to do next. From my experience, you are close, so close I wish I could be there to see the launching; you must be tired and excited at the same time... oh to be young again.

Keep going, you have the admiration of OFF on your side!

From my experience; Neighbors come and go, but a good boat is forever... that could be an original quote; remember me when you name her. LOL! (that's funny!)

J
JeannaJigs
It's coming along! At least your not sanding fiberglass during a week of 100-105 degree days lol. Don't start a boat project in july.

I think I'd rather work on wood than glass, even though wood has to be maintained seasonally. I was itching so bad. Don't sand fiberglass in shorts and a tshirt. D'oh.

As far as neighborly love, haha mine moved out shortly after completion. They weren't big fans of me bumbling around in the evening after dark snorting resin and epoxy, but with the extreme temperatures I could only do work with that stuff in the evenings. They stated I was giving their dog migraines. Seriously.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk