New drift boat!!!

my2labs
my2labs
So.... I finally picked up my first drift boat. It's a woody that floats but could use a little work. My plan is to get it in the water by the fall if not earlier. I'll need to re-seal the bottom and coat with something slippery. I'm going to customize the seats and make fish box. Then I need to learn to run it.

I'm excited but nervous.

Anyone ever redone a woody? Or does anyone own one? Any tips or advice is welcome and appreciated!

Ya ya ya! I finally have my boat!
Look out lol fishies!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Woo Hoo!! Congrats! That is so cool! :thumb:

EOBOY
EOBOY
looking good.

troutdude
troutdude
Right on! And there's no better place to work in it; than inside of a wood shop!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent!

E
eugene1
Cool looking boat!

congrats,

Chromatose
Chromatose
Congrats on the New to you drift boat..............As to the bottom of your boat, use a proper epoxy barrier coat such as interprotect 2000e from interlux.
As to being a new-be drift boater??? Get with some in the know and learn......Learn.............Then Learn some more. Good Luck and have a Safe Boating Experience!

my2labs
my2labs
Thanks chromatose... And everyone.

I grew up fishing the ocean do my respect for water is great. I have a buddy who is going to float with me and show me the ropes once. Then I'll start real small. Like dabney to Lewis n Clark solo. Eventually I'll move up river but I am openly green as far as drift boats go.

My goal will be to not anger any other boaters by screwing up and most importantly being safe. I have no interest in launching without help until I'm confident enough to do so.

T
troutmasta
Great looking boat! Im right behind you!

F
Fishing Ham
Cool, excited for both of us because I just did the same thing. Except bought used Willy Boat. Used the epoxy resin bottom coat with Kevlar in it. Redid the trailer too. Took me about a month to do both. My neighbor gave me lessons. Next...by myself...Sixes and Elk.

J
JeannaJigs
Nothing better than the purchase of your first boat. There's no going back. I've severely neglected mine, but look forward to getting out on the deschutes with it next month. The best advice I can give you is go a few times with someone that really knows what they're doing, and after you get a feel for it, never allow complacency to set it.

my2labs
my2labs
Fishing Ham said:
Cool, excited for both of us because I just did the same thing. Except bought used Willy Boat. Used the epoxy resin bottom coat with Kevlar in it. Redid the trailer too. Took me about a month to do both. My neighbor gave me lessons. Next...by myself...Sixes and Elk.

Congrats to you. Leave some fish for me until I can get out there!

my2labs
my2labs
JeannaJigs said:
Nothing better than the purchase of your first boat. There's no going back. I've severely neglected mine, but look forward to getting out on the deschutes with it next month. The best advice I can give you is go a few times with someone that really knows what they're doing, and after you get a feel for it, never allow complacency to set it.

I agree. Respect for the water is something I do not overlook. Had a buddy I grew up with pass away last month on a rafting trip. He got caught in ropes and never made it out.

I will not be complacent. And I will not be stupid. I am researching ethical drift boating like crazy so that I am not interfering with others either.

my2labs
my2labs
Fishing Ham said:

I am going to redo the trailer as well. After the boat is done of course. I want to rush it to the water but I also want to enjoy the redo.

She gets sanded today after a couple stupid honey dos are completed!!!!!

H
Hookset
Congrats on the new to you boat. Good luck on the water.

D
DrTheopolis
Very cool boat. You're going to love it.

One thing though -- it's really hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the only thing holding it on the trailer up front is the winch strap. Since you're doing stuff, it's a really good idea to have 2 eyes mounted up front -- the existing one for the winch strap, and another for a safety chain.

But I could just be seeing it wrong in the pic.

B
Billamicasr
Congratulations on your purchase. Is your new boat a standard model with the 48" bottom or the 54" wide bottom? I've always preferred the 48" as it makes the boat lighter. The wide bottom is great for an outfitter/guide or someone wanting to carry heavy loads.

We used Gluvit epoxy for the bottoms of our wood DB's. It isn't all that slippery but it protects very well when (not if) you smack a rock. If you have Gluvit on the bottom you'll be able to pull the bow onto the shore without it sliding back into the water. Later, and as an option, the boats were built with a UHMW plastic overlay on about 60-70% of the bottom. It was good too, but you couldn't even consider pulling the boat to shore, it would slide right back into the water, I personally liked the Gluvit. If I recall correctly we had to reapply the Gluvit every 3-4 years as it would begin to get brittle and fall off in places.

It doesn't show what city you are in. A great source for all wood DB things is Greg Tatman. This link is to his contact us page. From there, use the menu on the left to check out his work.
I've only visited in person once about 5-years ago. I believe it was his son running things.

Almost forgot, the worst part of wood DB ownership is when you are trying to take out at the landing with all the people wanting to ask questions.

Paint me green with envy... you are going to love the boat

P.s. Like your workshop.

Last edited:
my2labs
my2labs
DrTheopolis said:
Since you're doing stuff, it's a really good idea to have 2 eyes mounted up front -- the existing one for the winch strap, and another for a safety chain

It does not have that. I will install one though. Thanks.

my2labs
my2labs
Billamicasr said:
Congratulations on your purchase. Is your new boat a standard model with the 48" bottom or the 54" wide bottom?

P.s. Like your workshop.

Bottom is 48".

Thanks. The garage is coming together well. The only thing it was missing was a boat.

I appreciate the advice on the glovit. I think that's the way I'm going to go. The boat has a fiber glass sheet all over the bottom and up about 6" on the sides and along the chimes. But I think I'm going to take it off and check it all for rot.

I found some (rot) as I sanded today in the bottom. Also the board that backs the chine on the inside of the bow definitely needs to be replaced. I think I'm gonna tear her down a down a bit and rebuild her.

You'd think I'd be sad but I'm actually excited to bring her back to life. Even if I'm out of the water a little longer.

Thanks for the tips. I'm very excited and would like to hear more suggestions.

H
handmethewrench
That looks like such a fun project!! You will have a blast.