Murphy's Law sucks!!......

S
Spydeyrch
.............but this time it didn't!! :)

So, my dad, sister and I were going to head out to Smith Rock. The plan was pick me up on 05/08/12 @ about 9pm. Then drive out to Smith, camp for a few hours and fish the crooked there and then do some hiking and climbing.

Well, my dad didn't get to my place until 10:30pm. :mad: My sister had really wanted to learn fly fishing and was really excited!! I asked her if she got her license (which I had just reminder about an hour previously!!), and her response was: No, she forgot to get it. :mad: We got on the road and then my dad realized that he had left all of our climbing gear back at his place. :mad: Then my sister started saying that she wasn't feeling well and really wanted to go home. She just came back from 1.5 years in Brazil and has some health issues and they were acting up. This was around Wilsonville and we live in Beaverton! :mad: And then my dad realized that we were running on empty and had no gas!!! :mad: We stopped and got some gas and decided that we could drop my sister back off at home and get the gear and then head to Smith Rock. So we stopped, got some gas, and then turn around to go back to their place. It was about 11:15 by that time.

Along the way, I fell asleep. The next thing I know, my dad is hitting me on the shoulder and saying, so, what are we going to do. I was kind of like, what do you mean what are we going to do? We are going to go to Smith and have a blast!!

I asked him what time it was, he said it was midnight!! I noticed that my dad had fallen asleep in the car too ..... as we were parked in his driveway. :mad:

So we decided to sleep there (not in the car in his driveway but in the house, hehehehe :rolleyes:) that night as neither of us was in any condition to drive 4 hours that late at night. We were going to get up at 5:30am and head out. Well, we stayed up to 1am trying to figure out where we wanted to go being as Smith was too far away it seemed.

We woke up at 5:30 and spent the next hour and a half trying to figure out where to go. We finally decided to go over to the Old Salmon River Trail because we could hike it and there was a rock climbing wall there.

So we hopped in to the van and took off. But as we were coming up to highway 26, we realized that there was crazy traffic!! So I said, Let's head west toward the coast!!

So on a spur of the moment decision, we headed west toward the coast. About 20 mins into the drive, we kind of asked each other: where are we going and why are we going to the coast? So I mentioned Lost Lake. I had never been there but heard great things about it.

So we drove to lost lake. Now, our original intention was to hike the trails in that area and perhaps do a little fishing. Well, that changed too. We got to the lake and hiked down to the water. It was about 9:30am by that time. As soon as I got to the water, I noticed TONS, and I mean TONS of fish breaching the water, rising all over the place!! I scrambled back up to the van in a panicked crazy man's frenzy!! :shock: I threw on my gear, strung up my rod, and away I went. The plan was to fish for only a few hours ....... yeah right!!! hahahahahahahaha

So the fishing was awesome!! I was catching them on dries, nymphs, dry dropper setups, streamers, etc. I caught/landed about 15 fish in total ranging from 3 inches to about 12-13 inches. I had on about another 10 fish that weren't landed. One of them was HUGE and broke me off like it was nothin'!! :shock: We saw two bald eagles flying around. HUGE BIRDS!! :shock: One even swooped down and plucked out a huge fish. There were two Turkey Vultures flying around too. There was a pod of about 5 huge fish, either brooders or recycled steelhead, cruising the perimeter of the lake. There was a single one that was all white, must have been like an albino or something, but it was totally visible and was all white.

I was talking to my dad at one point about how I wish I had my float tube with me at that moment. So being the adventurous, boy scout, scout leader, mountain man, outdoor guy that he is, he built me a raft out of fallen logs that he cut into huge pieces. It was pretty cool and floated very well by its self. But with my weight on it or his, it sunk down a ways. Very cool though!!

We hiked the perimeter. The bugs were coming off crazy the whole day. There was beautiful sunshine, some sprinkles, and one sudden downpour. But the rest was sunny with a few scattered showers. We ended up staying there the whole day.

Toward the end of the day, we were both very hungry and had eaten our snacks. So a little before we left, I decided I wanted to eat a trout, something I hadn't done in a long time. So I caught a nice 10" trout, brought it to shore, bonked it, gutted it, put some salt and pepper on it and in it. My dad pulled out his little camping stove he has with him whenever we go hiking. I sharpened a stick and stuck the fish with it. Then we roasted it a little over the flames of the stove, then he pulled out a pot and a little oil. Then we fried up the rest of the fish and then ate it. Man was it good!!! Fresh as fresh could be. One moment I had the fish on my fly and 10 mins later, I had him in my belly!!! YUM!!!! :D

Oh, at one point as we were hiking around the lake, I tried to get out to some floating logs. I had to wade up to my chest to get to one of them, then hope on it and walk down it to get to the others. The water got deep FAST and I forgot my wading belt and didn't have a life vest with me. So I decided to turn around. and try it a different day.

After we got home, my parents took me, my sister, and cousins out to Red Robin and then home to my kids who were extatict to see me. My youngest (turned 1 this last April) ran over to me and gave me the biggest hug and wet slobbery baby kiss ever. He was soooo happy to have me home and I was glad to be home. :D

What a trip!! We started out planning to go east and ended up going west. We wanted some where warm, sunny, and dry, and we got temperate, cloudy/some what sunny, and rainy a few times. But we enjoyed every bit of it. The fishing was great!! The company wonderful, and the adventure a blast!! The one thing that I will say that I did not enjoy though .... leaving!!! :( hahahah :lol:

Back in the parking lot, I found a pair of waders. I am pretty sure I know who they belong to. There was a guy there that was fishing and I think they are his (well that was pretty descriptive!! hahahahaha). I brought them home with me hoping that he is a member of OFF and realizes they were left behind. If you were at Lost Lake today, 05/09/2012, PM me and let me know if you lost/left behind some waders. Let me know what kind of waders, color, brand, how you were fishing (fly or spinner/bait), what device (drift boat, toon, tube, raft, banking) you used, and what kind of a vehicle you drove. I have them setting out drying right now. :D

Below you should see some pics. They say the camera adds about 30lbs, right, well so do waders and a coat!!! :confused: hahahahahahahaha :lol:

Take care y'all and enjoy the water!!

-Spydey

P.S. Funny thing is not 10 minutes before we arrived at the lake I was telling my dad just how horrible of a still water fisherman I man. I typically steer clear of still water because I usually attract every single last skunk in all tri-counties when I attempt to fish still waters. But not this time!! hahahahaha :dance:

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
Here are some pics. My dad was the camera man the whole time ... he didn't get any pics of the bald eagles. :mad: :lol:

P1000700.jpg This is me trying to figure out what I am going to start with. Notice the little black nymph in my lips ... YUMM!!! :D

P1000715.jpg This is me pulling in a nice little 11" rainbow. Beautiful fish there!! Just colorful and bright and clean!! :clap:

P1000710.jpg Me casting but see that small log sitting on top of the two in the water? That is is one of the 7 that my dad cut and fashioned into a mini raft!! :D

P1000702.jpg Me in the beginning rigging up my rod.

P1000716.jpg Showing another fish I caught.

P1000711.jpg On the tippy tip of the stationary log. It was about 15 - 20 feet deep at that point.

P1000703.jpg Starting out as I just arrive for the first time to the water. There were trees and bushes all around me so I had to kneel to get any kind of decent casting room. I will tell you this though, I got pretty good at my single handed snap-T spey casting!! It allowed me to get out further without the need of back casting room. Pretty cool stuff!! No pro, but I did alright. I caught fish using it so it worked pretty well. :D EDIT: It was a Snake-roll cast, not a snap-t. Sorry about the mix up. :think:

P1000695.jpg Saddle Mountain off in the distance. Beautiful day to be up in the hills!! :clap:

P1000713.jpg Another one falls in to my web of flies!! MMWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :lol:

P1000707.jpg Letting go a little guy.

More to come.......

-Spydey

Last edited:
S
Spydeyrch
More pics.....

P1000719.jpg Me walking on the log trying to figure out where to get out to the water. Pretty sketchy ... :confused:

P1000718.jpg Got another!

P1000717.jpg And another one. :clap:

P1000722.JPG Walking out to the tip of the first log.

P1000723.JPG Testing a submerged log with my fly rod to see if it moves. It didn't but the water was about 20' deep there and I wan't prepared to go swimming just yet!! :naughty:

That's it!! What a great trip!!

Now I have to go to bed and off to dream world where I catch those brooders in Lost lake!! hahahahaha :lol:

-Spydey

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
i told you lake fishing is fun!! you need to come pick your float tube up and try it more, it isn't always that easy but man those days are a blast!!!

well done dude

S
Spydeyrch
brandon4455 said:
i told you lake fishing is fun!! you need to come pick your float tube up and try it more, it isn't always that easy but man those days are a blast!!!

well done dude

Thanks bro!! It was so good to be out there catching something!! I think that I am going to get a newer tube, so if you want mine, you can keep it Brandon. But only if you want it and don't feel obligated, ok. :D If you don't want it, no problem man. :)

-Spydey

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
very nice,way to go andrew!!!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Now, that is a dedicated pair of fisher folks! :D Sure glad to hear it ended up being a wonderful day for you two, it didn't sound like it at the beginning of your "fish tale". :clap:

S
spark
Thank you for sharing this. Glad to hear you have a wonderful day!!

bass
bass
That was a great report Spydey. Sounds like you all really made lemonade out of lemons. That story was really fun to read, I felt myself getting tense with all the mishaps, but then the sweet success at the end felt great.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Spydeyrch said:
Thanks bro!! It was so good to be out there catching something!! I think that I am going to get a newer tube, so if you want mine, you can keep it Brandon. But only if you want it and don't feel obligated, ok. :D If you don't want it, no problem man. :)

-Spydey
if you don't need it, ill keep it, but if you dont get a new one you can always have it back!!! thanks dude!!! once you get a new one you should come down to mercer this fall it would be a blast

S
Spydeyrch
You are welcome Brandon. You get way more use out of it than I have so I think it is a good fit. :) Enjoy it and take care of her. :)

-Spydey

brandon4455
brandon4455
oh i will dude.. she is going to get covered in fish slime saturday.. bluegill and bass!!! thanks again dude. :D