Morrison's Rogue River Lodge

B
Binks
Am planning a trip to the Rogue from Florida this October and Orvis speaks highly of the Morrison's Rogue River Lodge, is it as good as it seems to be?

F
fredaevans
Very good place, have yet to read a negative comment. Only 'down side' is the bulk of the Summer runs will be above Medford come October. From Morrison's to the hatchery area is one heck of a long drive (at least 50 road miles).

B
Binks
I can go before the 21st of October would it be better to hold off until November for the later winter runs?

E
eat, sleep, fish
Binks said:
I can go before the 21st of October would it be better to hold off until November for the later winter runs?

I've got to disagree with Fred. The bulk of the summer run will still be in that section of river in October. They'll be sitting behind all the spawning fall salmon and you can have some great days in mid-October. Plus there will be a few silvers around as well.

By the way...the winter steelhead don't show up until January.

B
Binks
Well I am taking my son on his fly fishing trip and I want it to be a great experience - Being from Florida I hope the weather will be cool and even a touch of snow would be fun but most of all I want him to catch fish. The lodge is supposed to be great and the guides good so I am trying to check out all the options for the area. Thanks.

F
fredaevans
eat said:
I've got to disagree with Fred. The bulk of the summer run will still be in that section of river in October. They'll be sitting behind all the spawning fall salmon and you can have some great days in mid-October. Plus there will be a few silvers around as well.

By the way...the winter steelhead don't show up until January.

I'd like to be wrong, and up til the removal of Gold Rae I'd have to agree with you. With that gone, and the continued high water flows** the fish seem to be really chugging up stream per the hatchery counts. Game guys have been trucking 'over loads' (to Gold Hill) for at least a month. Well, let me make one big 'back up' on my statement. If you find spawning Fall Kings, you'll find lots of Summer's laying in below them. An example of that would be Tussing Park in GP.

Just keep in mind that the river is closed for Kings above Hog Creek, and that's well below GP.

But you're right on minimal winter fish until late January.

** Water flows are still running 300 cfs over the historic average. Looks like they've leveled the flows out again (1860 cfs at Dodge Bridge)

Last edited:
F
fredaevans
Binks said:
Well I am taking my son on his fly fishing trip and I want it to be a great experience - Being from Florida I hope the weather will be cool and even a touch of snow would be fun but most of all I want him to catch fish. The lodge is supposed to be great and the guides good so I am trying to check out all the options for the area. Thanks.

Don't worry about snow at that time of the year save for the very top of Mt. Ashland or McDonald. Morning temps will be on the cool side (well above freezing, but still darned cool) and PM will be (if the normal) in the low 70's. That aside, I'd like you to 'invest' about eight bucks and order up the "StreamTime" map of the Rogue River. Map sheets take you from Crater Lake to the Ocean ... and although 'dated,' are DEAD ON, right down to the 1/10th of a mile. The descriptions of what you'll find where are almost exactly what you'll find even though the Rogue map was done up in about 1993. The Lodge area (off the top of my head) is on map 2.

As I said, don't let the map dating put you off as they nailed the river with the first pass. Yes, there are a few other places 'locals' know, but damned few, some of which occurred since the drawing of the map.

October weather here is usually a delight. Cool nights, warm (not hot like now) days. Perfect time to be on the river and making 'Sumores' over hot wood coals after sun down.

fae

Last edited:
E
eat, sleep, fish
Binks said:

You'll have a great time, and should experience some good fishing. The only thing that may ruin it for you is a big early fall storm muddying up the river, although having a little rain would actually improve the fishing.

The weather will definitely be cool, and maybe even freezing in the mornings, but there won't be any snow that time of year.

fredaevans said:
I'd like to be wrong, and up til the removal of Gold Rae I'd have to agree with you. With that gone, and the continued high water flows** the fish seem to be really chugging up stream per the hatchery counts. Game guys have been trucking 'over loads' (to Gold Hill) for at least a month. Well, let me make one big 'back up' on my statement. If you find spawning Fall Kings, you'll find lots of Summer's laying in below them. An example of that would be Tussing Park in GP.

Just keep in mind that the river is closed for Kings above Hog Creek, and that's well below GP.

But you're right on minimal winter fish until late January.

The runs are definitely shooting up to the hatchery faster, due to not being delayed by the dams. However, the Rogue receives two distinct runs of summer steelhead. The fall run doesn't enter the river until September/October. Those fish are following the fall salmon upriver and stage behind them as they spawn. They don't move into the upper river in mass until November. October is THE month to fish for summer steelhead below GP.

fredaevans said:
** Water flows are still running 300 cfs over the historic average. Looks like they've leveled the flows out again (1860 cfs at Dodge Bridge)

Flows will always be higher than historical averages this time of year due to Lost Creek Dam. That's also why the fall salmon run is now the dominant run, where as it used to be the springer run prior to the dam being built.

B
Binks
As long as the guides can put us on to some steelheads I am happy - a salmon would be a bonus but if there are steelheads I'm golden. I will invest in the maps that is a great idea. If the guides are good they should be able to put us on fish - that's what they work for and most of the guides I saw on the website had 15 to 36 years guiding the river.

F
fredaevans
Mulltipule letter log in (being silly here) makes some good points: "The runs are definitely shooting up to the hatchery faster, due to not being delayed by the dams. However, the Rogue receives two distinct runs of summer steelhead. The fall run doesn't enter the river until September/October. Those fish are following the fall salmon upriver and stage behind them as they spawn. They don't move into the upper river in mass until November. October is THE month to fish for summer steelhead below GP."

What he hasn't added, I will, is the Rogue (Summer run wise) two runs: The "A" and the "B." First are the hatchery fish and some natives mixed in. The "B," Lordie the 'B's.' Twice the size and late September via October and you're talking twice the size of the average fish.

B
Binks
Well I am convinced - I will go. sounds like it should be fun. Well I appreciate all the local info. If you need so advice on Florida fishing give me a nod.

F
fredaevans
eat said:
Flows will always be higher than historical averages this time of year due to Lost Creek Dam. That's also why the fall salmon run is now the dominant run, where as it used to be the springer run prior to the dam being built.

Two very good points. The gauges were there long before the dam and 'averaging' all those yearly figures in to the 'now' would really effect the result. The Springers are almost all plants, the Fall Kings are all native (no stocking of any kind).

S
Sirdriftsalot.
that will be a great time to be on the river, I will trade you florida bonefish for oregon steelies. no but seriously that will be a great trip and you should definetly go for it, I know I would love to do a trip like that with my old man. there should be fish spread throughout the riv, remember its steelheading and steelheading is damn hard, not everyone can get it done and thats why god put bass on the earth. watch out for the half pounders down there they are suicidal for a fly, cheers and have fun, I hope your son is familiar with how miserable steelheading can be at times. They weather should be good, its still hot as **** out, I dont even have to wear waders.

S
Sirdriftsalot.
I wade the rogue so much Im developing fins, I swear I tried to find a shallow gravelly riffle and complete my reproduction cycle, anyways this is how its played out above gold ray. (they had 1000 big bright steelies by the first of august, even in july they got hatchery arrival in late july,no way for the hatchery to record the data because historically they never showed up that early before, this would have been neck to neck with the last arriving winter fish) I heard something about the first summer wave did not spend anytime as a half pounder but lets leave that for the biology classroom. first steelie of the season landed was in early august, 26 inch hatchery hen and got broke off by two big bright fish late august slow as **** for a month, no one catching anything pound water all day long for weeks.
midway through september and some 1x so no more snappy snappy, and nothing but a tiny 20 inch buck behind a redd. so october is here and the river is kicking down with a really strong showing of summers in the upper part.
so by october there should be fish everywhere. Subsequently I think the summer run, runs in cycles, 3 years back guys in GP killing it all through the late summer early fall, fast forward a year and they dont start hooking up till october, fast forwar to this year they should have been hooking up now for the last couple of weeks, anyways I think there is more anatomical and biological feedback governing the entity of a rogue summer fish then we will understand, until then labeling them A and B shall suffice.

Last edited by a moderator:
F
fredaevans
Upper river (Rogue) flows are now down to 'historic' figures. Upper river is 'loaded' with summer runs. Two members of other fora's down for a Tou Velle mini-Spey 'Clave and fished up be the hatchery couple of Saturday's ago. Between sun up and 8 AM both had hooked and landed two. All Native's so back they went. Gather they went back up after the 'Clave; no idea how they did on the second round.

H
Hawk
I enjoy watching this webcam quite often http://web.thedailycourier.com/web_cam/
There are quite a few boats ,etc on the river, at times.:lol::lol::lol:
ducks too i see.

The Rogue is down quite a bit now...:think:

I enjoy the Critter cam & Downtown cam, also.

B
BRS
My experience tells me there are steelhead through out the system and will be in varying numbers until April.
Many of the summer steelhead we fish on in the middle river spawn in the tribs. well before they ever get to Gold Hill, let alone the hatchery.
The opportunity to catch adults and half pounders is great this time of year, fishing out of Morrison's.

F
fredaevans
Everything I've heard about "Morrisons" (sp?) has been positive, save for the water right below is a waste of time (steelhead wise). Minutes up/down stream YAZZER water.