Lost my boat and gear---not so bad

M
marko
beginning of june 2012

Have 30 years behind the oars on my drift boat----Just bought a new 8 HP Yamaha from Joe Koffler. Maiden voyage on the middle fork. Put in at Jasper and had 2 take downs by the time I reached midway to clearwater. My brother-in-law was wearing his life jack and my life jacket was at my feet. Not feeling comfortable with operating this boat with the motor but getting better as the day goes on.
We came around a fairly wide left bend in the river and the water shallows a bit so I shut the motor off and pull the motor up out of the water..we will drift through this and be set up for a long salmon hole. NOT TO BE! Before I know it we are heading sideways into a long tree and my oars are not in the oar locks...no time...Up goes the bow and down goes the stern-----we flip. I grab onto a tree branch only to taken under water so I let go and pop right up. I can see my brother-in-law is free from the boat and floating down river---the boat sinks quickly. I see my life jacket but can not reach it. I get caught up in a swirl and get sucked down for only a few seconds---when I pop back up ---there is my life jacket being sent to me from the swirl. Good thing to because my legs were feeling like flat noodles. I grab it and float down around a corner and finally reach the shore.

We both end up on the far side of the river so decide to hike towards Jasper. Long hike when wet and cold. My brother-in-law asks me to add up the losses, but I could only say that "we are walking". He agreed.

I hired Bruce Koffler to search for the boat and he went two times trying to find it but then got a call from someone who said the boat had been taken out of the water as it had semi surfaced 3 days after it went down. I sure do appreciate the efforts of my fellow fisherman----I do not know his name yet. I know he got a small finders fee from Bruce but I would like to personally thank him for his efforts. The boat sustained some damage but really not bad at all. I lost 3 brand new fishing rods made by Shane Groshong and all my reels and gear. But we walked away from that incident-----thank god!

Please be careful on the river---do not get complacent as I had---a very nice day can get very ugly very quickly . I needed a wake up call and got one. I think I will look into purchasing one of those life jackets that inflate when they hit the water. I understand that you can not even tell when it is on. I rarely post on the forum---I have a renewed respect for the river-----this incident scared the #%^ out of me-------hope you all are careful. Marko

jamisonace
jamisonace
I had the same thing happen to me this year and now I have one of those self inflating life jackets. Experiences like that are great wake up calls. Glad to hear you're OK and that you're taking it well.

W
wozniasm
Glad you two made it out and sorry for the loss and damage.
Wise words of warning!

G
GDBrown
I too, have a self inflating PFD. I know I could not swim my way out of anything so I wear it anytime I'm in or on the water. I even wear it if I'm walking the river and I might slip and fall in.

Glad you were able to take that long hike and have a good attitude about it.

GD

C
cowboysfan
glag you made it out ok to fish another day!

E
eugene1
marko, I respect you and the river! Glad you guys made it out, too many stories about downed boats to feel secure...

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thank you for sharing your near tragic story, Marko. This time of year is wonderful for getting out on the water but, all too often the news is full of heart breaking stories that didn't end as well as yours. I'm glad you and your brother-in-law are both home safe and able to pass on words of wisdom to others.

troutdude
troutdude
Wow. What a hair raising tale of near tragic proportions.

We'll look forward to more threads/posts, but of catching fish and having fun.

L
LuckyToBeFishing
Crazy! Hey, you guys walked away. Pretty good day if you ask me. Like Jamie said, that's a wake up call. Self-inflating might be the way to go. I'm glad you guys are okay. Stuff is just stuff. Positive Vibrations.

D
DYJ
Glad everyone made it but sorry to hear about all the lost gear. Right after I read about Jamisonace's boat mishap I spent the money and bought 3 Mustang self inflating PFD's. I spent a little extra to get 35 pound buoyancy since I do fish the salt with my brother a lot. But I was also thinking about how we wear our waders in my drift boat a lot. I think the extra buoyancy is worth the money

hobster
hobster
Wow, you should consider yourself lucky and be grateful you are ok. Crazy story, dont' worry about the gear, it can all be replaced eventually but your life cannot. Those rivers can be pretty mean sometimes, we should never take them for granted. I've heard too many bad stories. I'm glad you are ok and hopefully someone else will think twice next time because of your story.

M
marko
thankyou all for the positive comments. I will get a PFD and be ready to fish the umpqua with my other boat---the drift boat will require a few minor repairs and Shane Groshang is building some new rods for me. Hope to see any of you at Reedsport in Sept for the salmon. I have a brown colored 19ft allumaweld with honda main and honda kicker outboards. Please say hi! .....marko

G
GTappan
Glad to hear that you both were okay.

N
Nocturnus
I like your summation of the situation to your brother-in-law. Anything like that, you walk away from it, you've won! Sorry to hear about the loss of your gear, but hey you kept your head about you well enough to walk away with your most important asset. As for the rest of it, I hammer that stretch of water pretty regularly, if I come across anything fitting the description of your gear, I'll be sure to PM you.

-N

M
marko
thank you Nocturnas! Just learned today that someone brought my motor into a local marine shop and wanted to know if it could be repaired, but a quick call to Koffler boats and the serial number matched so I got my motor back----what is left of it ----which is next to nothing. It is out of the water though so I can go down the river knowing I have not polluted it. Do you think that next year, I might follow you down the north fork just to learn ? thankyou, marko

J
JeannaJigs
Damn lots of boats going down this year, just takes one second of complacency. It's a good reminder to all of us to stay on our toes! Glad it had a good ending. Stuff is just stuff.