Lost a huge bass!!

U
Username
Right before it got dark i lost a giant bass. It was at least 12 pounds. I googled the state record and it said like 12 pounds 1.6 oz or something for a large mouth. This this was a monster and a half!

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Ain't that always the way? If I was a guessin' man, I'd say it was at least 13.5lb just by the way you describe him. ;-)

M
Modest_Man
My would be state record fish always get away too...

U
Username
I was so close to having him too!!. I was using my trout pole using 4lb test. Would of never thought i was going to hook something like that.

T
tomriker
modest man, have you shocked any state records yet?

R
ryan808
Interesting :think: how does one weigh a lost fish that they never saw?

T
tomriker
It was a 3 pound fish with 9 pounds of weeds on it I bet :)

bass
bass
It is hard to judge the weight of a fish in hand much less thrashing in the water. I am sure you had a good sized fish on, but 12lbs is a bit hard to imagine. How many bass have you caught over 6, 8, or 10lbs for reference? The cool thing is that you had a big bass on. Remember and enjoy that moment!

C
colbypearson
12lbs is a big....big big...big. big bass. Seriously though I spend a lot of time chasing such a class of fish, I personally would never tag a specific weight to a fish I didn't land especially approaching dark. Largemouth bass over 12lbs make up such a freakishly minimal portion of the biomass typical in Oregons lakes its not even funny. You may have lost a solid bass but to tag a weight of over 12lbs to a fish with such minimal observation is crazy. Maybe it was a carp, lol

S
shotgun
Was it Public or Private water ???? If it was private water ... it could have been 14 pounds and ... still not be the State Record ..... as per the State rule changes a few years back making private water not count for record status .... Even though ... I believe ??? ... most of the State's warmwater records came from private ponds before the rule change .... Getting a record out of Public water here in Oregon now will be a little tough .... LOL

C
colbypearson
shotgun said:
Getting a record out of Public water here in Oregon now will be a little tough .... LOL
Could be tough, could come impossibly easy, that's fishing. Bass of this caliber 11-13.5+?lbs, are present in the state beyond the shadow of a doubt, might be caught by a fun fisherman on a worm, might be caught by someone who has logged thousands of hours refining their approach and hunting that size fish individually.

T
tomriker
Or it might be colby pearson

S
shotgun
My guess is it won't be Colby because he is trying and has the know how ... My bet it will be ripped off a bed with a live night crawler ... my a trout fisherman off the bank ... weighed for the record and then ate ...

1 nut in the water
sounds like the 22 pound small mouth caught out of the umpqua just a few weeks back....
Or was that 22" and 18 pounds?

M
Modest_Man
tomriker said:
modest man, have you shocked any state records yet?

What is the state record largescale sucker? We've got some huge speckled daces, and a huge prickly sculpin...but even giant ones are only about 6".

C
colbypearson
shotgun said:
My guess is it won't be Colby because he is trying and has the know how ... My bet it will be ripped off a bed with a live night crawler ... my a trout fisherman off the bank ... weighed for the record and then ate ...

Entirely one of the most logical opinions on the state record anywhere beyond the shadow of a doubt.

But with that being said I will always be piecing together the puzzle, trying to catch the state record.

But the main reason I'm going to agree with you is because as long as I have a camera/video man and a clear digital scale that fish more than likely is going back where it was taken from.

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
colbypearson said:
Entirely one of the most logical opinions on the state record anywhere beyond the shadow of a doubt.

But with that being said I will always be piecing together the puzzle, trying to catch the state record.

But the main reason I'm going to agree with you is because as long as I have a camera/video man and a clear digital scale that fish more than likely is going back where it was taken from.

:clap: :cool:

C
ChezJfrey
Speaking of logical...who in the world can tell a 12+ bass hooked on a lightweight rod and 4 lb. test?

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
I feel your pain ol son ,,,

When I was 16 I caught a HUGE what is called a Kentucky Bass strain of Smallmouth also known as a Redeye or Green Bass. All I had with me was an old canvas creel with the 12 inch rule painted on it and as best I could figure he was 21 inches long AND FAT !!! I get this fish home and the parents were gone so I put him in the sink full of water and take off to find my buddies so we could all go to the local fishing shop and get it weighed in , picture taken , the whole 9 yards for braggin rights . I found 2 of my buddies, darted home to see the parents had got home, charged through the door with a huge grin on my chin only to find NO FISH in the sink !!! I asked mom where my fish was and she said it was in the fridge . Sure enough, there in the fridge was my fish,,, all cleaned, missing its head and floating in one of those blue with white spots roaster pan and was just touching the ends of the roaster inside. I couldnt cry in front of my friends so I did the next best thing,,, I saw the fish and moaned "OH NO" and promptly filled the sink with hurl . My friends all understood ,,, my stepdad just said "FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD !!! IT IS JUST A FISH " !!!

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
TOJIACK FLOATMAN said:
I feel your pain ol son ,,,

When I was 16 I caught a HUGE what is called a Kentucky Bass strain of Smallmouth also known as a Redeye or Green Bass. All I had with me was an old canvas creel with the 12 inch rule painted on it and as best I could figure he was 21 inches long AND FAT !!! I get this fish home and the parents were gone so I put him in the sink full of water and take off to find my buddies so we could all go to the local fishing shop and get it weighed in , picture taken , the whole 9 yards for braggin rights . I found 2 of my buddies, darted home to see the parents had got home, charged through the door with a huge grin on my chin only to find NO FISH in the sink !!! I asked mom where my fish was and she said it was in the fridge . Sure enough, there in the fridge was my fish,,, all cleaned, missing its head and floating in one of those blue with white spots roaster pan and was just touching the ends of the roaster inside. I couldnt cry in front of my friends so I did the next best thing,,, I saw the fish and moaned "OH NO" and promptly filled the sink with hurl . My friends all understood ,,, my stepdad just said "FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD !!! IT IS JUST A FISH " !!!

Ok, first of all I assume you are referring to the Kentucky Bass AKA Spotted Bass? Or the Redeye bass.

There are 8 main species of black bass- Spotted bass (10.27lbs record), Largemouth bass, Smallmouth bass, Shoal bass, Suwannee bass, Redeye bass, Guadalupe bass & Bartrams bass.

The Redeye is an individual species world record is somewhere in the lower range of the 5lb class. From what I have read, larger Redeye bass are actually misidentified Shoal bass witch boast a record over 8lbs.

When you use the term "green bass" I assume its likely a form of regional slang? I'm a little confused with your wording in this post, but I'm interested in the story.

If the fish was in the 21" range, with a good girth it was likely in the 5-6.25lb range, depending on the specific species and reliability behind the identification it may have been a big fish by species standards or just "nice".