Lost a huge bass!!

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
The large smallie I caught was in 1969 on the Yuba River at Marysville California on a Storm Thin Fin shad lure with a bright purple back. The fish was unique in that it was a beautiful emerald color with no hint of any spots or vertical tiger stripe found on the majority of smallmouth bass species and had those scarlet orange eyes. Years later appx. 5 miles upsteram on the same river at Hallwood I caught another unique smallie that again had no spots or stripes and was an ultra light bronze lemon yellow color with very dim orange eyes that went just over 4 lbs per an old Zebco Deliar hand scale. This one fell victim to a softshell crawdaddy I had just harvested in the rivers shallows. The fish ID came from a years old book at the local library that showed this fish as an exact match calling it a redeyed or kentucky smallmouth. Green Bass was a local handle given to this fish as per the old gent who ran our local bait and tackle shop. Having googled up hundreds of smallie photos and websites on the smallie species since having posted my original reply my interest has peaked a lot as to the limited but not undocumented differences between smallmouth bass by way of photos taken. For an extreme point in case google op California record smallmouth bass and click onto the one showing fish pics. When you get the pics look at the 3rd photo showin Howard Hardins' record smallie from the Mokelumne River . Remember my fish was caught some 44 years ago and the ID resources were limited. Remember too it hasnt been all that long since spotted bass and white bass ( wipers ) showed on the fishin scene as a species. Who knows ? Mother nature has a sense of humor at times. Call the bass I described whatever feels right to you. All I know was it was a great gift for me and one helluva bass !

Last edited:
T
tomriker
colbypearson said:
Entirely one of the most logical opinions on the state record anywhere beyond the shadow of a doubt.

But with that being said I will always be piecing together the puzzle, trying to catch the state record.

But the main reason I'm going to agree with you is because as long as I have a camera/video man and a clear digital scale that fish more than likely is going back where it was taken from.

don't forget to take a banana

also i have one of the old blue with white specs, also a black one with white specs that i use to marinate duck and goose jerky in :)

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Modest_Man said:
My would be state record fish always get away too...

ryan808 said:
Interesting :think: how does one weigh a lost fish that they never saw?

tomriker said:
It was a 3 pound fish with 9 pounds of weeds on it I bet :)

lmfao. Be nice please.

T
TOJIACK FLOATMAN
Do I get any bonus points for having at least got to eat mine for dinner ??? Momma knew how to cook potential record bass,,, LOL !

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
TOJIACK FLOATMAN said:
Do I get any bonus points for having at least got to eat mine for dinner ??? Momma knew how to cook potential record bass,,, LOL !

Nope. Your mom does though, anyone who can make an old soggy smallmouth taste better than mushy cardboard is talented from what I hear. FWIW- I catch tan smallmouth showing no markings & bright green hues & red/orange eyes pretty often.

Last edited:
bass
bass
colbypearson said:
Nope. Your mom does though, anyone who can make an old soggy smallmouth taste better than mushy cardboard is talented from what I hear. FWIW- I catch tan smallmouth showing no markings & bright green hues & red/orange eyes pretty often.

To add to what Colby said. I catch a some red-eyed smallmouth as well, maybe not as many as Colby, but come on, he's Colby :)

In PA I used to catch largemouth with red eyes as well. I am not sure if they can change their eye colors like they change their skin pigmentation or not. Funny thing is I can't remember the eye color of the bass in NC.

U
Username
ryan808 said:
Interesting :think: how does one weigh a lost fish that they never saw?

I did see it. It jumped out of the water and i could see it out in front of me when it was almost in. So middle finger too you good sir.

T
tomriker
Username said:
I did see it. It jumped out of the water and i could see it out in front of me when it was almost in. So middle finger too you good sir.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

R
ryan808
Username said:

Back at yeah, lol.

Reactions: TTFishon
B
Bassdad54
he must had one of those new rods that can weigh the fish at the same time....oh wait those havent been made...ryan can you make me one ... but you can't use your middle fingers

F
Finneus Polebender
Sorry man without proof a double digit fish let alone a 12+ pounder when it comes to largemouth in this state good luck getting anyone to buy that.

Last edited:
U
Username
lol, i don't care if anyone believes me. I'll catch him some day.

T
Team CF
BIG TREBLE (a little rust the orange brings em in) WITH 2 NIGHTCRAWLERS (gotta be canadian) SOAKED RIGHT ON THE BOTTOM WILL GET IT DONE MAN!

seriously best necro thread ever...

B
Bassdad54
Username said:
lol, i don't care if anyone believes me. I'll catch him some day.

You should also know that a bass that size will be a female and not a male

N
nativefish
Username said:

this makes me laugh every time i read it

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Username said:

Sigged.

Last edited: