Looking for guide on South Umpqua in October

M
mgood777
Experienced fisherman from CA coming to Winchester Bay in October. Never fished up there before. Bringing my boat but want to spend the first day with a guide so that I know what I'm doing for the rest of the week. Want to leave from Salmon Harbor Marina and go upstream from there... not out to the ocean. Would prefer to troll the river versus anything else.

Any recommendations on a good, friendly guide who is not tight lipped with advice for a guy in my position?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

M
mgood777
I stand corrected. I've been educated that this is not the South Umpqua I'm talking about but the main Umpqua. Location where I'm fishing stands though... upstream from Winchester Bay.

E
eat, sleep, fish
You're right about it being the mainstem. I believe October is pretty late for the Umpqua, but may still have some fish around. I don't have any suggestions for guides that time of year up there, but I would listen to what the guide has to say on where to fish.

mgood777 said:
Experienced fisherman from CA coming to Winchester Bay in October. Never fished up there before. Bringing my boat but want to spend the first day with a guide so that I know what I'm doing for the rest of the week. Want to leave from Salmon Harbor Marina and go upstream from there... not out to the ocean. Would prefer to troll the river versus anything else.

Any recommendations on a good, friendly guide who is not tight lipped with advice for a guy in my position?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eat said:
You're right about it being the mainstem. I believe October is pretty late for the Umpqua, but may still have some fish around. I don't have any suggestions for guides that time of year up there, but I would listen to what the guide has to say on where to fish.

I think most people are going to agree that October is getting a bit late for the Umpqua down in the lower river for chinook. Coho might still be running strong but rumor is that our rivers might be open just Sept15 to Oct15 (we should know for sure any day now), so when you fish in October is critical. The coho show in Siltcoos and Tahkenitch, just north of the Umpqua, should be in full swing by mid-October, so there is also that nearby.

M
mgood777
Lots of good advice around here and I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I am locked into my dates of October 18-22 that I'll be staying at Winchester Bay. I will keep my eyes open around here for news about changing regulations and I guess do some planning about that. If I can't fish salmon on October 18 then maybe I'll just be crabbing in the bay.

C
CoastalMoe
We are at the Stockade Market here in Winchester Bay... We have several guides who fish out of here... One of our best guides here is Bryan of the Umpqua Angler (541)852-9889

If he is booked up give us a call (541)271-3800 and we can go down a list of others who also guide here...

Hope you have a great time here and be sure to stop by the store when you visit...

M
mgood777
Thanks for the advice, Moe. That's the second time I've heard Bryan's name so I will definitely look him up. And I'll be sure to do my shopping in the store while I'm in town!

S
steelhead_stalkers
You could always fish up river on the Siuslaw if we get rain in October. The lakes have good Coho fishing that time of year too. Might be some good Coho fishing down low on the Umpqua and Smith as well. Good luck.

P
playhooky
mgood777 said:
Thanks for the advice, Moe. That's the second time I've heard Bryan's name so I will definitely look him up. And I'll be sure to do my shopping in the store while I'm in town!

777 Check out curreyguideservice.com for the Ump. Curt would be a wealth of information for you. Good luck in October!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

K
knucklehead 61
Tim Abraham charters out of winchester bay frequently.
I have gone with him a few times and always had a blast.
T&C fishing adventures is his website