Looking for big fish

F
FishOn420
Hello everyone,

I have lived in Oregon my whole life but never got into fishing here until this year. I am still figuring out some good spots near downtown Portland that isn't to much of a drive. I have been having great luck at Sauvie Island fishing the Multnomah channel. Mainly catching catfish, although we have caught a good size carp and a couple bone fish. I am looking to find some spots where we can catch some good sized fish. Any recommendations?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
If you snapped pix of those bone fish, I'd love to see 'em. Never seen one caught in Oregon before :)

F
FishOn420
I know my fiancé took some pictures of me holding the fish. I will post it as soon as I can. The couple that I caught were about a foot long. I am not sure how to make the picture bigger but I will see what I can do.
Bone Fish.jpg

E
eugene1
GungasUncle said:
If you snapped pix of those bone fish, I'd love to see 'em. Never seen one caught in Oregon before :)

Think he meant "boney fish", Uncle?

FishOn420 said:
I know my fiancé took some pictures of me holding the fish. I will post it as soon as I can. The couple that I caught were about a foot long. I am not sure how to make the picture bigger but I will see what I can do.

If you start fishing for salmon and steelhead, you'll catch fish bigger than that pike minnow. Sturg are also an option!

Good luck,

F
FishOn420
That's what I have been wanting to catch. Just need to find a good spot and get a little bit more equipment.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
FishOn420 said:
That's what I have been wanting to catch. Just need to find a good spot and get a little bit more equipment.

Sturg fishing can be done with a med/heavy action salmon rod - no need for two different rods unless specifically targeting oversize fish. Braided line is good for this purpose also - as you get stronger line for the diameter - 50lb braid is a lot narrower than 50lb mono, and a lot easier to tie knots in. Just got to be careful with braided line - if you get snagged up, get a strong, thick hunk of wood or metal, wrap the line around it at least half a dozen times and pull with that - don't use the rod to try yanking it free, and never ever yank on braid with bare hands - it will slice you open like a fillet knife.

As for bait - herring, shad, perch fillets - these will get you into fish. They also like sand shrimp, and I've caught sturgeon with worms before too (not targeting sturgies specifically, but they ate a worm just like any other fish would).

If you want to catch big fish - typically you have to use bigger baits. You'll get fewer fish, and it can be frustrating. a 4 inch piece of fillet or shad is nothing to a 2'-3' long shaker (juvenile sturgeon) and will also attract big cats if they're around.

Take a drive down to West Linn, MS Young Park. It's a pretty good walk from the parking area down to the river, but there's a trail system that is half paved/half bare - leads you to a nice rock outcropping where I've caught sturg before, lots of bass, carp, and pikeminnow. Just downstream is Cedar Island, there is (or was) a foot bridge leading to the island. At the down stream end of the island is a nice lagoon - good carp fishing in there, some bass and crappie too. For sturgeon fish the channel side of the island.

It's a rocky, snaggy area - rig your weights so they break free before your entire setup does (when plunking bait in an area like that I run my weight on a light weight dropper line - typically half the strength of my main line, and lighter than the leader to my hook as well) as your weight will likely snag up before the other tackle does. You'll still loose entire setups from time to time. Current can be pretty strong in the main channel even in the summer time - so you'll need some decent weights - depending on current and water depth you can wind up using anywhere from 1-6 oz of lead.

Kelly Point Park is also popular with the sturgeon guys - it's where the Willamette meets the Columbia. Lots of water to fish from. Be careful about some of the other park "patrons", and don't leave valuables in your car.

Reactions: troutmasta, troutdude and eugene1
E
eugene1
Good info there, GungasUncle!

Take care,