H
Hawk
WOW!!!
:shock::shock::shock:

O
OnTheFly
D
Drew9870
Like I have stated before, Asian Carp are what give Carp a bad name, Common Carp are European and nothing like the other species of Carp. You will never hear of a Silver or Bighead Carp on the West Coast in the near future, and I would hate to see Asian Carp establish a population anywhere in Oregon.

I get the idea from a lot of folks that when they hear Carp, they think they are all the same, but it's obviously the Asian Carp that are destructive since no other states take measures to eradicate Common Carp. I think Common Carp should have a different name, so when people are referring to Carp, they can rest assured they are talking about the destructive ones that biologists take measures to eradicate.

E
eggs
Jim weren't you just telling me about how carp are the best looking and fighting fish in the NW a couple weeks back??

B
bigsteel
carp are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B
beaverfan
Drew9870 said:
Like I have stated before, Asian Carp are what give Carp a bad name, Common Carp are European and nothing like the other species of Carp. You will never hear of a Silver or Bighead Carp on the West Coast in the near future, and I would hate to see Asian Carp establish a population anywhere in Oregon.

I get the idea from a lot of folks that when they hear Carp, they think they are all the same, but it's obviously the Asian Carp that are destructive since no other states take measures to eradicate Common Carp. I think Common Carp should have a different name, so when people are referring to Carp, they can rest assured they are talking about the destructive ones that biologists take measures to eradicate.

I want some of what your smokin'! What do you mean no other states have taken measures to eradicate them? That's just flat out wrong. There have been programs in Oregon and just about every other state. You say that Common Carp aren't destructive, lets se some evidence of that cause a quick google search shows just the opposite. My own eyes have seen the damage that Common Carp have done! Here's a quote from one of the thousands of articles on the destructive nature of the Common Carp.

"Impact of Introduction: The common carp is regarded as a pest fish because of its widespread abundance and because of its tendency to destroy vegetation and increase water turbidity by dislodging plants and rooting around in the substrate, causing a deterioration of habitat for species requiring vegetation and clean water (Cole 1905; Cahoon 1953; Bellrichard 1996; Laird and Page 1996). Available literature indicates common carp may destroy aquatic macrophytes directly by uprooting or consuming the plants, or indirectly by increasing turbidity and thereby reducing light for photosynthesis. Bellrichard (1996) found that alterations in macrophyte biomass are due more to direct effects of common carp. In their review of the literature, Richardson et al. (1995) concluded that common carp has had noted adverse effects on biological systems including destruction of vegetated breeding habitats used by both fish and birds, and an increase in turbidity. It stirs up the bottom during feeding, resulting in increased siltation and turbidity (Lee et al. 1980 et seq.). This feeding behavior also destroys rooted aquatic plants that provide habitat for native fish species and food for waterfowl (Dentler 1993). There is also evidence that common carp prey on the eggs of other fish species (Moyle 1976a; Taylor et al. 1984; Miller and Beckman 1996). For this reason, it may be responsible for the decline of the razorback sucker Xyrauchen texanus in the Colorado River basin (Taylor et al. 1984). In another case, Miller and Beckman (1996) documented white sturgeon Acipenser transmontanus eggs in the stomachs of common carp in the Columbia River. In California, carp have been implicated in the decrease in water clarity in Clear Lake, Lake County, and in the gradual disappearance of native fishes (Moyle 1976a). McCarraher and Gregory (1970) wrote that in 1894 there was documentation that Sacramento perch Archoplites interruptus were becoming more scarce because carp were destroying their spawning grounds. Laird and Page (1996) stated that common carp may compete with ecologically similar species such as carpsuckers and buffalos. Because this species has been present in many areas since the first surveys, its impacts on many of the native fishes are difficult to determine. Once established in a water body, common carp are difficult and expensive to eliminate (e.g., Cahoon 1953)."

Here's a link to the article it was done by USGS, shocking isn't it the U.S. Government says they do cause harm. You want more evidence I can post dozens of links to various studies and papers that prove they do in fact cause significant damage. Nonindigenous Aquatic Species

Common Carp have done plenty to give themselves a bad name!

B
bigsteel
beaverfan said:
I want some of what your smokin'! What do you mean no other states have taken measures to eradicate them? That's just flat out wrong. There have been programs in Oregon and just about every other state. You say that Common Carp aren't destructive, lets se some evidence of that cause a quick google search shows just the opposite. My own eyes have seen the damage that Common Carp have done! Here's a quote from one of the thousands of articles on the destructive nature of the Common Carp.

"Impact of Introduction: The common carp is regarded as a pest fish because of its widespread abundance and because of its tendency to destroy vegetation and increase water turbidity by dislodging plants and rooting around in the substrate, causing a deterioration of habitat for species requiring vegetation and clean water (Cole 1905; Cahoon 1953; Bellrichard 1996; Laird and Page 1996). Available literature indicates common carp may destroy aquatic macrophytes directly by uprooting or consuming the plants, or indirectly by increasing turbidity and thereby reducing light for photosynthesis. Bellrichard (1996) found that alterations in macrophyte biomass are due more to direct effects of common carp. In their review of the literature, Richardson et al. (1995) concluded that common carp has had noted adverse effects on biological systems including destruction of vegetated breeding habitats used by both fish and birds, and an increase in turbidity. It stirs up the bottom during feeding, resulting in increased siltation and turbidity (Lee et al. 1980 et seq.). This feeding behavior also destroys rooted aquatic plants that provide habitat for native fish species and food for waterfowl (Dentler 1993). There is also evidence that common carp prey on the eggs of other fish species (Moyle 1976a; Taylor et al. 1984; Miller and Beckman 1996). For this reason, it may be responsible for the decline of the razorback sucker Xyrauchen texanus in the Colorado River basin (Taylor et al. 1984). In another case, Miller and Beckman (1996) documented white sturgeon Acipenser transmontanus eggs in the stomachs of common carp in the Columbia River. In California, carp have been implicated in the decrease in water clarity in Clear Lake, Lake County, and in the gradual disappearance of native fishes (Moyle 1976a). McCarraher and Gregory (1970) wrote that in 1894 there was documentation that Sacramento perch Archoplites interruptus were becoming more scarce because carp were destroying their spawning grounds. Laird and Page (1996) stated that common carp may compete with ecologically similar species such as carpsuckers and buffalos. Because this species has been present in many areas since the first surveys, its impacts on many of the native fishes are difficult to determine. Once established in a water body, common carp are difficult and expensive to eliminate (e.g., Cahoon 1953)."

Here's a link to the article it was done by USGS, shocking isn't it the U.S. Government says they do cause harm. You want more evidence I can post dozens of links to various studies and papers that prove they do in fact cause significant damage. Nonindigenous Aquatic Species

Common Carp have done plenty to give themselves a bad name!

thanks for the links jay,,,,some people will defend carp to the death....they are invaders period...open season with shotguns would handle the population:lol::lol::lol:

E
eggs
Jay you and all your data are wrong.. carp are GODs gift to us and the rest of earth!

B
beaverfan
eggs said:
Jay you and all your data are wrong.. carp are GODs gift to us and the rest of earth!

You know I'm starting to feel your right, it's the other fish that are hurting the Carp! Dang Steelhead!

E
eggs
Now you see the light... walk with me son we have preaching to do so we can inform all others about this deep knowledge we hold!

O
OnTheFly
I want some of what eggs is smoke'n

E
eggs
You sir have to wait til Saturday to get what I am smokin! But only after sitting through my 1 hour presentation on the benifits of the almighty carp.

T
Troutier Bassier
They're making a come back!

O
OnTheFly
eggs said:
You sir have to wait til Saturday to get what I am smokin! But only after sitting through my 1 hour presentation on the benifits of the almighty carp.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: breath:lol::lol::lol::lol: a one hour presentation:lol::lol::lol:the benifits:lol::lol::lol:almighty!:lol::lol::lol:OMG:lol:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I am going to catch a carp, smoke it and put all you fools to shame. It WILL be better than salmon or steelhead!

You just have to smoke it right.

T
TTFishon
GraphiteZen said:
I am going to catch a carp, smoke it and put all you fools to shame. It WILL be better than salmon or steelhead!

You just have to smoke it right.

If it comes from clean water I'm willing to try it.

O
OnTheFly
GraphiteZen said:

You just have to smoke it right

In a pipe..right?

E
eggs
Correct you must get ones from downriver of the old trojan site, clean it and let it air dry in the sun until you can basiclly crumble it in order to pack the pipe. Long prep but worth the smoke!