John Day River, spearfishing!

F
Fishpdx
Okay so I'm going camping on 4th of july to le page park near the mouth of john day river and I have a couple questions regarding spearfishing. 1. Can I shoot gamefish like walleye bass ect. Because I'm mostly targeting carp but would like some tasty walleye . 2. What kind of gear would I need? I'm buying gloves,booties,snorkel,mask. Do I need a wetsuit? if yes what kind would be best? I'm about 5'8 and weigh 130 lbs/personally I dont like cold water. Also I heard of rubber weight belts does everyone need them? And final question is fins... I'm only going to be diving in like 10 feet max, and if I do need them would kind should i get ? I heard there's long fins and short ones which would be better. Also where would you recommend buying gear? I looked on amazon and saw nice prices good reviews but not sure if I should order there. Anything else I'm forgetting?

Last edited by a moderator:
D
DrTheopolis
Carp are legal to spear (non-gamefish). Walleye are not (gamefish).

bass
bass
Page 13:

Game Fish
Salmon, shad, steelhead, sturgeon, trout,
whitefish, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass,
hybrid bass, striped bass, bluegill, catfish,
crappie, sunfish, yellow perch, walleye and
mullet.
• Harvest Method: Angling.
• Restrictions: It is unlawful to:
» Angle for or take salmon, shad, steelhead,
sturgeon, trout or whitefish except
during daylight hours (one hour before
sunrise until one hour after sunset). See
exceptions for specific waterbodies.
» Snag, spear, gaff, net, trap, club, shoot
or ensnare any freshwater game fish.

F
Fishpdx
so just stick to carp

D
DrTheopolis
Use a rod and reel for the rest. Problem solved.

I've never fished there, but a buddy has a pic from many years ago of a serious lunker smallie from the John Day.

F
Fishpdx
DrTheopolis said:
Use a rod and reel for the rest. Problem solved.

I've never fished there, but a buddy has a pic from many years ago of a serious lunker smallie from the John Day.

Of course im taking my rod, john day river has the best smallmouth fishery in oregon! love fighting big fish on light line.

G
Gulfstream
Performance diver on line. Wetsuit warehouse is good also.I would get a one piece if you are gonna use it off and on.Get cheap fins.Get a hood,VERY important.You wont need a weight belt if you don't use a wetsuit.HIGHLY recommend testing you gear out in a local lake or pool PRIOR to going on your trip,so you don't have grief when you get there.:blushing:If you use a weight belt,you should be able to float in a vertical position with you mouth and nose above the surface with no effort to stay afloat.:) Also a few drops of baby shampoo on the inside of the mask,rub it on the lens,then rinse will prevent fogging and won't burn your eyes