It's about time woohoo

D
Damquick
First chinook of the year :dance::dance: 35 inches long 16 lbs.

Second cast using a multi colored yarnball small red bead and a 3/4 once slinky with gami hook. just as Mike said the line stopped about half way through the drift I lifted my rod thinking it was just hung up and it moved. my first reaction. WOW I think I have a fish yes yes yes I do, damb fish on I can't believe it (Talking to myself out loud) don't horse him stay calm :lol: keep the line tight, rod tip up, let him wear himself out . and that was the first 10 seconds :lol:

After about 5 minutes I finally got a look at him, WOW My heart was pounding out of my chest. I was fishing by myself, no one around ,no boats on the river all of them had just left this hole. :think: The fish gets into the current and I can't move him I just keep constant pressure on him hoping he will get tired. another 5 minutes goes by and not much progress I'm using 12 lb maxima line with an 10 lb leader. I put a little more pressure on him and he go nuts stripping line off my reel like I have never heard before. I guess he is not ready yet :D just stay on fish. :pray::pray:

My hand is starting to cramp I take it off the rod and it's beet red, Damb this is fun. Another 5 minutes goes by and he starts to move into some calmer water. I get him with in 20 feet he gets a look at me and takes off like a rocket this happens 3 more times I finally I get him within reaching distance trashing around like crazy rolling over like a crazy alligator I try and grab his slimy tail, yea right just grab him by the tail :shock::shock:

he takes off again and I get another chance to land him. O.K. have you ever seen these guys who jump on hand granades to save there buddys in the war? well not exactly but close :lol: I get him next to shore drop my rod and with both hands scoop him up on the bank. I'm a little wet but I got it done.:clap: If anyone could have video taped this you guys would be laughing your heads off. :dance::dance:

I would like to thank all of you who have given me some great advice. I did get to meet bran- man today up at the hatchery hole and watched another guy land a beautiful steelhead. what a great day of fishing. I can't wait to get back out there and do it again, this gives my a lot more confide

Last edited:
D
Damquick
oops double post

Last edited:
T
Toyracer38
Great story! Congrats on a very nice fish man! Haven't seen the grenade thing other than in movies, but did watch a buddy of mine dive through blackberries that were hanging over the bank of Big Creek to save a Steelhead catch. :)

R
RunWithSasquatch
Woohoo is right... nice fish

B
bran_man
Wow! That was today after we met!!!? That's crazy! That fish is in really great shape! CONGRATS!

hobster
hobster
Awesome fish, great story! I know how you feel, its so much fun and SO intense. I've seen a lot lost at the bank, you gotta be stoked that sucker stayed on! Great job.

P
plumb2fish
Nice nooker....

R
rippin fish lips
Nice fish!! Way to keep at it! The water is dropping somewhat fast it looks like. How many boats did ya count? Sometimes it just takes stickign aorund until everyone leaves to get a fish.

D
dtikey
Awsome Ray glad it fineally came together for you up thier.Now you need to get a summer and things will be going all in your favor.Again great job and glad I could help you out makes me feel good as well.

C
colt
Hey, I don't blame ya for diving after that fish to grab it. I would have done the same.

Man you really went into detail about that and I felt like I was standing right next to ya whooping and hollering about fish on!

Great fish and congrats!

J
joem
nice fish. when tailing fish, i have experiance, some good some not some just showing off to the guys that have a net but dont offer to net my fish. when you bring them in get them close keeping their head twords the bank, grab the tail, scoop the belly, toss them on the bank and stick your fingers in the gills and hold them till you have everything figured out. never grab at a fish if his head is pointing to open water unless you have a lot of experiance, he is tired, cause chances are that he will just whip you with his tail and fight will be on again. my dad once dove in to net a fish for my mom. my mom had been fighting it for awhile and when it got to the net the hook popped and the fish flipped over and was floating upside down, so my dad took a leap scooped the fish and got back up as fast as he could haha.

good job on the fish, gotta do what you gotta do to get them in.

H
handmethewrench
best story ever, and great fish!