Interactive Wilson River fishing map

W
walleyed
Im happy to say i have not noticed much more pressure then is to be expected cause the wilson has been lousy with fisherman all year a lot more then last year from what ive seen i fish on weekend and days i have off school and i normally can not hit more then one or two holes i like without seeing at least one other person but this years been crazy anyways so i can not tell. I also have been fishing other rivers to excape the crowds. Being a steelheader requires a lot of hard work to learn the rivers and the gear and if you dont put that in then you dont deserve to catch fish IMO. I had a few holes shown to me as a newb and i still show people i take fishing new holes but putting it up in a public space for the masses to see is against my code of conduct do what you will and if any of you spot a 6'7 teenager fishing the wilson in a few of these spots say hello.

Oncorhynchus - Who gave you the name God and said you are the one to determine who deserves to catch a certain species of fish? If you want to do it the hard way and figure it out for yourself then you shouldn't even be on a blog in the first place, and nobody will stop you from doing what you want to do. Many of us really dont have the time, money or friends to show us how and what to do. Take me for instance, I am a graduate student that moved here 1 year ago, will only be living here for 2 more years, and this is my first season ever fishing for steelhead. I am very greatfull for all of the people that contribute information to this site. I have always been an avid fisherman but where I come from we fish for walleye, Bass, Tiger muske and such. Without this site I would not know where to start when it comes to fishing in a river. what gear to use? what rivers can you fish on? what type of line to use? IMO it sounds like you belong on ifish not OFF.

Thanks for the help beaverfan

J
JeannaJigs
The map was greatly appreciated. That river has more bank access than any river I've ever been on. The map was created, as has been said, for a day on the river to raise money for diabetes. I live 160 miles away from the river, and would have been completely lost without it. I put in my time, I assure you, every weekend i'm on my local rivers, but when you only have one day to fish a river you've never been to, you take the help you can get. We only ran into one other group of fisherman when we were fishing there, I don't call that crowded. I've seen way worse on rivers with very limited bank access.

Maybe one day you'll figure it out when you want to fish somewhere for just a single day and no one gives you any advice. It works both ways.

Just my two cents

O
OnTheDrop
Wilson? Pressure? Maybe on the lower part.. But ive been there on weekends of all days when the water was prime and only see a few people and usually NONE in the holes i like to fish... Maybe you need to find some new holes. Theres about 200million on the wilson

B
beaverfan
Thats what I'm saying. People that say the Wilson is crowded need to try Eagle Creek, it's like Disneyland. The Wilson is like one giant hole! Great now I'm fiending to fish the Wilson!

A
autofisher
So this is where that PM came from. I knew there had to be something that triggered your Wilson fiend.:lol:

B
beaverfan
Hahaha yup!

A
autofisher
It's like this. If you want to see pressure on a fish, go to the bowling alley hole on the Clackamas, almost all of Eagle Creek, Mill City Bridge on the North Santiam, 101 hole on the Salmon, the point on the Nestucca, the list goes on. Honestly, the most pressured hole that I've seen on the entire length of the Wilson was the guide hole. Other than that, there's plenty of space out there. While I'm not a fan of combat fishing, I am a fan of getting people into fish. If you have secret holes, keep em. That's cool. No one says you have to give your secrets away. The map was made for a charity event honoring my father in law who recently passed. It was a valuable asset in the coordination of the event, as well as the competition that took place. It's really hard for me to understand how people can get mad for other fishermen/women showing up at thier hole, spot, river, water, whatever. Keep your secret spots and holes to yourself, just remember, someone had to show you those spots at one time. If you see a 6'3 guy with a goatee out on the water drifting some yarn, there's a chance it might be me. If you've got a crappy attitude about helping your fellow fishermen get into fish, especially for a good cause, don't come talk to me.

O
OnTheDrop
went to the wilson for a lil this morning... water looked amazing. No fish though : ( And didn't hear of anything either.. Im puzzled:confused:

O
Oncorhynchus
walleyed said:
Oncorhynchus - Who gave you the name God and said you are the one to determine who deserves to catch a certain species of fish? If you want to do it the hard way and figure it out for yourself then you shouldn't even be on a blog in the first place, and nobody will stop you from doing what you want to do. Many of us really dont have the time, money or friends to show us how and what to do. Take me for instance, I am a graduate student that moved here 1 year ago, will only be living here for 2 more years, and this is my first season ever fishing for steelhead. I am very greatfull for all of the people that contribute information to this site. I have always been an avid fisherman but where I come from we fish for walleye, Bass, Tiger muske and such. Without this site I would not know where to start when it comes to fishing in a river. what gear to use? what rivers can you fish on? what type of line to use? IMO it sounds like you belong on ifish not OFF.

Thanks for the help beaverfan

Walleyed Its a matter of my own opinion i happen to believe anything not worth doing the right way (the hard way) is not worth doing at all.
Belong on I fish thats funny i just left i fish to return to this fourm only because the simple lack of respect for the fishery and nature that it common over there. Thanks for the welcome back :rolleyes: .The only thing i have a problem with is the posting of spots i will gladly let anyone know what gear i use and have no problem with that.People these days are lazy and just want to see the results with out much effort believe me before i caught my first steelhead i was like that i just wanted the fish. Now i have just as much fun days i dont catch as days i do its all about being on the river and learning about the fish and nature in general. Go to your local libraries check out all the books they have about steelheading ive learned a lot from just reading books about steelheading. I think what i said was taken the wrong way i have no problem helping fellow fisherman and try to do so as much as i can but i do have a problem with posting spots in public places.

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
Oncorhynchus said:
Walleyed Its a matter of my own opinion i happen to believe anything not worth doing the right way (the hard way) is not worth doing at all.
Belong on I fish thats funny i just left i fish to return to this fourm only because the simple lack of respect for the fishery and nature that it common over there. Thanks for the welcome back :rolleyes:.The only thing i have a problem with is the posting of spots i will gladly let anyone know what gear i use and have no problem with that.People these days are lazy and just want to see the results with out much effort believe me before i caught my first steelhead i was like that i just wanted the fish. Now i have just as much fun days i dont catch as days i do its all about being on the river and learning about the fish and nature in general. Go to your local libraries check out all the books they have about steelheading ive learned a lot from just reading books about steelheading. I think what i said was taken the wrong way i have no problem helping fellow fisherman and try to do so as much as i can but i do have a problem with posting spots in public places.

Welcome back....we really are a lot nicer here.....

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Don't discount the young simply because of their age...

Don't discount the young simply because of their age...

lilsalmon said:
Welcome back....we really are a lot nicer here.....

X2 :clap::clap: Take a deep breath and clear your minds...now,lets start over.
Oncorhynchus has been a longtime member and contributed to helping many others with advice,tips and techniques. If he has the opinion that locations should be kept close to the vest,he is in stellar company with many other members. The differences lies in the fact that 1)because of his age he is seen as brash and therefore has no right to tell the older member how he feels,which is bogus 2) he actually spoke up regarding locations shortly after returning to the forum instead of making nice to gain respect and approval from many of you. Don't let his age fool any of you,nor his size. He knows as much about the fish he pursues as the experienced old fogey's on the forum. He may not have rubbed any of you the right way but the longtime members know he is worth getting to know. So,maybe you can forget his age and he'll forget yours and y'all can start fishing and stop the pee-pee contest?

F
Fishtopher
Raincatcher said:
So,maybe you can forget his age and he'll forget yours and y'all can start fishing and stop the pee-pee contest?

Hey this is a family forum.

Kinda weird that youd get all worked up about a map of a river and complain about not doing things the hard way and then in the next post talk about all the books you read about catching fish. Not exactly the hard way is it.
"
I think what i said was taken the wrong way i have no problem helping fellow fisherman and try to do so as much as i can but i do have a problem with posting spots in public places
"

:clap:Amazing.

H
halibuthitman
sheesh, fish are easy to find, but would someone PLEASE make an interactive map on how to see the exit and make it through all the loopi lous to get to the da** cabellas in yelm!:shock:

B
beaverfan
halibuthitman said:
sheesh, fish are easy to find, but would someone PLEASE make an interactive map on how to see the exit and make it through all the loopi lous to get to the da** cabellas in yelm!:shock:

Nope, your on your own on that one!:lol::dance::naughty:

F
Fishtopher
halibuthitman said:

Way too complicated!;)

J
johnnymthood
Why are you giving up all this information? People need to explore on their own. Getting out and hiking around is part of it if you want to fish the Wilson. Reading books to help people figure out how to fish is one thing. Holding their hand and taking them to all these holes is another. Many people are upset with this map. OK so maybe it was used for a fund raiser at one time, but not now.

J
johnnymthood
Fishtopher said:
Hey this is a family forum.

Kinda weird that youd get all worked up about a map of a river and complain about not doing things the hard way and then in the next post talk about all the books you read about catching fish. Not exactly the hard way is it.
"
I think what i said was taken the wrong way i have no problem helping fellow fisherman and try to do so as much as i can but i do have a problem with posting spots in public places
"

:clap:Amazing.

It's one thing to read a book and try to improve you understanding of how to catch fish. It's another to hold their hand and take them to the hole. Take the family for a hike and find the holes on your own.

T
Thuggin4Life
I went to the fundraiser without looking at the map. drove up and down the river and found most of these spots and many spots not on the map that we fished. The wilson has so many spots to pull over and walk/climb down to the river and all kinds of roads that follow the powerlines down to good fishing water. Anyone wanting to fish the river can find most of the places on the map and many many more good holes to fish so why is the map such a big deal? I would personally stay away from the marked holes since they seem to be peoples go to spots and well know fishing holes and I hate people.

A
autofisher
Thuggin4Life said:
I would personally stay away from the marked holes since they seem to be peoples go to spots and well know fishing holes and I hate people.

You're always such a ray of sunshine:lol:

F
FishTastic
Oncorhynchus said:
Belong on I fish thats funny i just left i fish to return to this fourm only because the simple lack of respect for the fishery and nature that it common over there. Thanks for the welcome back :rolleyes: .The only thing i have a problem with is the posting of spots i will gladly let anyone know what gear i use and have no problem with that.People these days are lazy and just want to see the results with out much effort believe me before i caught my first steelhead i was like that i just wanted the fish. Now i have just as much fun days i dont catch as days i do its all about being on the river and learning about the fish and nature in general. Go to your local libraries check out all the books they have about steelheading ive learned a lot from just reading books about steelheading. I think what i said was taken the wrong way i have no problem helping fellow fisherman and try to do so as much as i can but i do have a problem with posting spots in public places.

Get over it! You arent even old enough to make quotes about "people these days". Or go to your local library and read up on it, that's another good one. I have probably forgotten more than you will ever know about steelheading.

What you have said on here is about the dumbest pigtailing thing I have heard and I have heard plenty. With your attitude I highly recommend that you stay out of the holes I fish because I won't tolerate that B/S for a minute.

Now as for your side of the story about posting good holes in public forums for the masses, well go to your local library and do a little research on fishing the Wilson River and nearly every book before you were even born is loaded with maps of holes and descriptions of each hole.

So to put this in to perspective for you, what you have said in this forum would be like me saying: Teens should stay off the Wilson because they don't have enough education or experience in the sport, they are arrogant little tadpoles, and they don't know how to shut the insults up. Keep in mind I don't believe in that. What I do believe in is that every single Oregon resident who has the interest should get the chance to hook in to a nice steelhead without having to fork out a lot of money to do so. Steelheading can get expensive if you do not know what you are doing, but you know all that.

I know I can't tell you how to think, but I will recommend a variation that may get you farther in the fishing community over your current choice. Learn to share and encourage others to join you and learn your passion even if you do not know them very well. Pass the torch and keep salmon and steelhead fishing alive for all to enjoy if they choose.

Oh by the way, I contributed a lot of the holes on that map and I was very happy to do so! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: