Inshore fish in Oregon?

M
music321
Hi,

I live on the East Coast and am wondering what kinds of sport fishing is available inshore in Oregon's salt water. The regulations for a state are usually a good place to start, and mention Halibut, Salmon, Groundfish (various), Clams, Crabs, and Surf Perch.

Just by poking around the forum, it seems that surf perch are plentiful and are about the size of a freshwater sunfish. As for halibut, are they plentiful? It's my understanding that ALL of the west coast fisheries, with the partial exception of Alaska, have disappeared with regard to Salmon. Is this pretty much the case in Oregon? Does this pretty much sum up oregon coast fishing?

B
Big3d
Salmon fishing isn't the way old timers remember, but there are plenty of salmon to fish for. I can't speak to the abundance of halibut. Everything you read seems pretty accurate, remember that most of these fish are seasonal, so when you are going to be here will make a bigger difference than you'd think. If you can afford it take a charter from the coast. You'll appreciate the knowledge, and you'd be supporting our local economy in the process.

Irishrover
Irishrover
It really depends on which part of the coast you are fishing from. I fish the very northern part of the state out of the Columbia River. The salmon fishing has been outstanding the last few years and it looks like we have another one forecasted for this year. The halibut fish is not the best up here. It is much better off the central coast. If you check out the Oregon fishing regulations you can see the difference in the quota allowed off the central coast as compared to the Columbia River area. We run about 25 to 35 miles out for halibut. Tuna fishing is a lot of fun but that requires a long run, depending on where the tuna are and water temps it could be anywhere between 20 to 50 miles out. Crabbing is generally a good bet in shore. Bottom fishing again is best off the central coast because there is more structure for them. Lingcod, rockfish of all sorts and other bottom fish are still around. Up north there are a few bottom fishing locations and we put enough fish in the freezer to make it worth while. If you are looking for a Varity of fish and a good bar to cross I go to Newport. I'd head to the Columbia area if you want a good supply of salmon, tuna and crab. Off the beach up north you can get a fill of razor clams and toss out a line for surf perch.

M
music321
salmon has been outstanding up north? That's great, and also surprising. Do people cast for them from shore or troll in boats for them? If they go out in boats, how far out are they? What kind of salmon are we talking about? How big? When you say "outstanding", does this mean catching one fish per day? Several? Thanks.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Chinook salmon for the last two year have had the highest return since the started keeping records in 1938. Both years broke the record. This year the combined summer and fall run is expected to be close to one million chinook. Coho were unbelievable the year before last but not as hot last year. Sockeye are also rebounding very well. Inland a lot of folks fish from shore. Out of Astoria on the Columbia it is mostly a boat show. The limit is two salmon per day, I generally have four to five people on the boat and we usually limit the boat in the ocean. The size depends on the time of year. Early silvers are in the 6 to 8lbs class. By September they are at 10 to 15 lbs. Chinook will run 15 to 20 with occasional 25 to 30+ size fish. Look around the salmon section for some picture.

M
music321
wow, that's great. thanks.