I suck!

C
chris.phillips
I suck at steelhead fishing. I spent the whole day fishing all over the Sandy river and did not catch one fish :mad:

S
Scott M
Well, the; most of us suck! Damned difficult when there are so few fish!!

hang in there brother, you're not alone!! :D

W
waco
It has been like that for me for the last two months!

P
plumb2fish
chris.phillips said:
I suck at steelhead fishing. I spent the whole day fishing all over the Sandy river and did not catch one fish :mad:
Give up now before you catch one, get addicted, and spend every second either chasing em or thinking about chasing em....

V
vstheboombox
I'm with ya man. I just started fishing for steelhead and haven't had any luck either. I had a gear rod and got annoyed with getting snagged on the bottom and switched to spey rod fishing. Still haven't caught anything but at least its fun to swing a spey rod. Just keep at it! Or take plumb2fish's advice haha

C
cddunn
Ha. I saw the title, then looked over for the topic. I was pretty sure it'd be about steelhead fishing. Join the club. Unless you've a drift boat, a couple of old steelheader buddies, or lot of guided trips, it seems to be fairly slim pickings. But, when you do hook up....

E
eugene1
plumb2fish said:
Give up now before you catch one, get addicted, and spend every second either chasing em or thinking about chasing em....

^This is about right. If you get into fishing a lot, you're going to be ruined for work, and the other nonessential details of life.

A
azbohunter
plumb2fish said:

Yes, it becomes addictive and if you are not in steelhead country you can spend a lot of time thinking about them and planning......good luck!

G
guzer988
me to brother,just to wounderful on the river to quit!

Y
Yogidabear
plumb2fish said:

yes,and be like me and skip out on work, glad I'm self employed. these fish get into your blood and you can't stop thinking about them.

P
plumb2fish
I often get on overload bouncing from winter steelhead to springers to summer steelhead to halibut to tuna back to summers to fall chinook to coho to winters......its maddening.....I could never leave the pnw for very long....I'd really go crazy

H
halibuthitman
nothing worth doing is easy.. a quiter never wins... and a winner never quites... and a whiner fishes alone... real men find a empty room and cry alone... theres no hugging in steelheading, just a $hitload of rain-

G
guzer988
Just keep on ! i feel the same way

S
Silvers&Steelies
I've been on a dry spell too. Haven't caught a keeper since December. Had a really good October and November but lately haven't had much time to go fishing. Keep at it you can't catch one if you don't try. Some people are spoiled by the last few years of decent fishing.

madasahab
madasahab
chris.phillips said:

I fish all the time and did not land one until a few weeks ago...fishing has been pretty lame so far this season. They say they can tell by how the coho run was and it was **** poor on the coast for the most part. I am not sure about the Sandy river, but Feb into April should bring in the nates and broodstock. Time will tell...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
^This is about right. If you get into fishing a lot, you're going to be ruined for work, and the other nonessential details of life.

...that would seem to imply that there are essential details of life that are not related to fishing... :D

J
JeannaJigs
halibuthitman said:
theres no hugging in steelheading, just a $hitload of rain-

Nailed it.

B
bythesea
What sucks is slamming your rod to the water because you just lost another fish.

1 nut in the water
I would not waste my life either- it is a waste of time, frustrating and when you do hook up its like pulling in a half dead bluegill. And then the rest of the day you are even more bored and dont spend endless hours replaying the fight in your mind and then cannot sleep at night because you have been brainwashed by the silly little fish. I would just give all your stuff away to me and sit at home..........................

hobster
hobster
halibuthitman said:
nothing worth doing is easy.. a quiter never wins... and a winner never quites... and a whiner fishes alone... real men find a empty room and cry alone... theres no hugging in steelheading, just a $hitload of rain-

Well said. Everyone feels that way when fishing for these elusive fish at some point. I've been there, it seemed everyone was catching fish except me. I was skunked about 8 trips in a row this january. I saw 6 fish pulled out of a hole by me which finally opened and i gave it a shot and nothing. Then some guy came over and landed one 1st cast. Talk about depressing, i though i'd forgotten how to fish for steel. Next trip out landed my first since december and limited out the time after that. Hang in there - just keep trying and keep learning - ask questions, observe others and it will come.