I can't catch anything

D
Dudireno
Hello,

I have been eggs and I haven't been able to set the hook. It feels like I am getting strikes but am not hooking them.

For bank fishing what do you think is the best method.

Thanks

E
eugene1
where are you fishing? I see guys at river forks just using corkies drift fishing.

L
lizardman
are your hooks sharp? sometimes even brand new hooks need sharpening.

Dave

S
spoonjedi
If drifting with just corkies....try switching to owner hooks?

L
lizardman
Gamigatsu (spelling?), Owner, and Vision are all good hook brands, sometimes even the good hook brands need a little sharpening out of the box/bag/packet.

Also what size hooks are you using as going too big or small in your hook choice can effect your hook-ups.

Dave

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've been fishing the Umpqua at the forks and at Umpqua this week and last and I haven't even had a bite. Saw a few hooked on eggs under a bobber and one on a spinner. The biggest problem right now is that the fish have been in the forks for a long time and the bite (as far as I can tell) is pretty quick in the morning. We need more fish to come in. I fished the last two hours of daylight at Umpqua last night and didn't see one fish roll. The night before at the forks I must have see 100 roll but only one caught....on a spinner.

Dudireno said:
Hello,

I have been eggs and I haven't been able to set the hook. It feels like I am getting strikes but am not hooking them.

For bank fishing what do you think is the best method.

Thanks

F
fredaevans
Put a little yarn in the egg loop. Fish teeth are pointed backwards (will almost) and they'll hang up in the material and give you a pretty good tug.

R
rippin fish lips
jamisonace said:
I've been fishing the Umpqua at the forks and at Umpqua this week and last and I haven't even had a bite. Saw a few hooked on eggs under a bobber and one on a spinner. The biggest problem right now is that the fish have been in the forks for a long time and the bite (as far as I can tell) is pretty quick in the morning. We need more fish to come in. I fished the last two hours of daylight at Umpqua last night and didn't see one fish roll. The night before at the forks I must have see 100 roll but only one caught....on a spinner.

Between First day light and 10am. Super early morning bite is good.

D
Dudireno
I've been using brads hooks where the egg loop is tied for me. the size i believe is 1/0. I'll try the yarn and some different hooks. i'm just below the winchester damn.

D
Dudireno
I really don't know how to sharpen hooks

M
Mad dog
Dudireno said:
I've been using brads hooks where the egg loop is tied for me. the size i believe is 1/0. I'll try the yarn and some different hooks. i'm just below the winchester damn.

Brad's 1/0 is adequate enough for what you are trying to do. You are fishing the North river at a really poor time of the year below Winchester....almost no fish moving through at this point in the season, very few fall chinook and the steelhead run is almost over for the season. There will be fish in the when the coho arrive....which might be a while, they are running late this fall!

You need to drop down and fish the main Umpqua, 1oz slip floats and you 1/0 hooks, roe and you'll have a decent chance! Time of day is everything right now! Rain coming next week, things are going to change then and the bite will pick up....the problem is there are already tons of dark fall chinook now! Lot's of them will actively be spawning in the main in another 2 weeks or so. Bright colored wigglewart's will catch some chinook and lot's of coho as well.

Good luck!

Reactions: eugene1
D
Dudireno
Mad dog said:
Brad's 1/0 is adequate enough for what you are trying to do. You are fishing the North river at a really poor time of the year below Winchester....almost no fish moving through at this point in the season, very few fall chinook and the steelhead run is almost over for the season. There will be fish in the when the coho arrive....which might be a while, they are running late this fall!

You need to drop down and fish the main Umpqua, 1oz slip floats and you 1/0 hooks, roe and you'll have a decent chance! Time of day is everything right now! Rain coming next week, things are going to change then and the bite will pick up....the problem is there are already tons of dark fall chinook now! Lot's of them will actively be spawning in the main in another 2 weeks or so. Bright colored wigglewart's will catch some chinook and lot's of coho as well.

Good luck!

If I go to the same place I catch smallies on the main will the coho and chinook be there?

How will I know when is a good time below the Dam?