Herman Creek Springers

Y
YoungFisher
Hey I was wondering do the springers go into the creek like the steelhead do? I fished the creek last year for summer steelhead but not sure if i should go try for springers?

R
ryank
YoungFisher said:
Hey I was wondering do the springers go into the creek like the steelhead do? I fished the creek last year for summer steelhead but not sure if i should go try for springers?

The reason that area (and popular areas near there) fish so well in the summer is because of the water temperature of the Columbia that time of year. The "lagoon" at Herman creek is much colder than the Columbia, so the Summer Steelhead are dipping in to cool down and rest. This time of year the water temp is not warm so the fish are not dipping in.

Your best bet will be fishing the Willamette, or tributary fishing. I usually don't start targeting Chinook in the tribs until mid to late May. That's just me though.

I hope that helps.

D
DrTheopolis
ryank said:
I usually don't start targeting Chinook in the tribs until mid to late May. That's just me though.

I don't think that's just you.

I might fish earlier than that, but there's late winters and early summers to be had until then. But Chinook in the tribs are few and far between until that magic time when the water hits 50 degrees (usually mid to late May, oddly enough), then it's game on.

D
dozer365
Last year I got a springer in the lower clack 4-18 on a swung spoon. There are already some reports of early fish out of the sandy and clack. I'd agree that the meat of the run isn't tell may. However like dr. Said, winters... Summers. And springers available in the tribes. I'll be throwing eggs this weekend hoping for a nice chrome wrestle. Nook or steel either way I'm satisfied. Although I'd like to fish Herman creek as I haven't yet.

Y
YoungFisher
Sweet thanks guys! and yeah i started fishing herman last year hooked about a 12- 15 pound nate on eggs and hooked a 8 pound hatchery