Halibut for dinner

Irishrover
Irishrover
Had a great day out halibut fishing. I bought Mrs. Irishrover a new Daiwa electric reel for her birthday, so she gave me one as an early fathers day gift. (We work well together). We slipped out across the CR bar at about 6:30 and ran close to 25 miles out to join the fleet dropping three pounds of lead down 600+ feet to find the flat fish. We were lucky enough to find them and limit the boat. After the clouds cleared the sun was out and showed off a beautiful blue ocean, with little wind and small swells. As added entertainment a few whales put on a great show for us. It was an easy run back in across the bar. I sure do appreciate those kind of days. I'll have to work on that picture, she was standing up straight when I took it!

• 0529161719a.jpg
E
eugene1
Nice easy limit!

Eat well my friend,

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Well done, Mr. & Mrs. Irishrover! Looks like a great way to spend a day. :peace:

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
I'm envious! What a great day.

G
Gulfstream
Wow 600 feet is down there!

bass
bass
Sounds like you couldn't script a better day!

Congrats on properly breaking in the new electric reels. Definitely sounds like the right thing to have in 600' or water!!! How do they work? Do you control when they reel or do they just continually winch and have a drag to keep from breaking stuff?

Irishrover
Irishrover
bass said:
Sounds like you couldn't script a better day!

Congrats on properly breaking in the new electric reels. Definitely sounds like the right thing to have in 600' or water!!! How do they work? Do you control when they reel or do they just continually winch and have a drag to keep from breaking stuff?

It a nice set up. There is a power lever, the more you push it forward the more power and the faster the reel works. It has a star drag, and a release lever that allows for free spool. So much easier than an old Penn Long Beach like I was using.

T
troutmasta
Nice Job! The ocean looked pretty flat today!

Irishrover
Irishrover
troutmasta said:
Nice Job! The ocean looked pretty flat today!
It's always nice on non halibut fishing days. I could see a great story for Pat McManus to write about offshore weather and fishing. No Ocean in Idaho thought!