Hagg report

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Went to Hagg for the first time today. Fished from 10:30 to 5:00 in my float tube.

Got a bunch of bass, no size though. Fished as many locations as I could given my limited time and the fact that tubes are not the best for covering water.

Started on the dam, caught fish immediately. Largemouth and smallmouth. They seemed to want little stuff today. Shaky heads, dropshots, jig-wacky.

Also got a few on a Pointer 68 (deep diving version) in "Ghost Minnow" and my old favorite #4 Risto Rap in "Tennessee Shad."

I did what you are not supposed to do, I left fish to find fish. I was feeling greedy and looking for better bites. Long story short, I should have stayed on the rocks. All good, I wanted to check out more of the lake. Nice place for sure. Water level looks like it is down maybe 18 vertical feet and visibility was about four feet everywhere I was. Wind kicked up a mud-line and I caught a few smallies dragging a Bitsy Craw (can't remember the name of the color, it is a green pumpkin/orange laminate) on a football head near the far boat ramp. Fish seemed to be in the 12-20' depth range. Strong fish for how little they all were.

Cheers all.

SS

P
PTownAngler
Thanks for the report. I've been thinkin about hitting hagg to try for bass. I just fished for bass for the first time recently with a buddy and want to take him to hagg because he's never been there. I've fished hagg a bunch for trout but never bass. From the research I've done, the damn produces best for bass this time of year. Its nice to see your report matches my research.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
The thing about the dam is that it concentrates fish in a location that is visible. There are fish all over the lake, I just didn't locate the $$$ spots. Electronics would help a ton, as would a good topo map, which I don't seem to be able to find. If you are actually going to fish there for bass frequently, I would avoid the dam precisely because others are gravitating to it. Managing to find some more low-key areas could give you a leg up, especially with bigger fish, if you care.

Of course, you might not have time and the inclination, in which case the dam is probably your best bet to just get fish stink on you. I'm also willing to bet the dam would be a killer topwater spot super early in the day, if that sort of thing makes you giggle.

Cheers!

SS

troutdude
troutdude
I've not fished Hagg, for bass. But I love that lake!

Call Cheri @ the Lake Stop Store, in Gaston (you pass it, just before you get to the lake). They may be able to direct you to, a good topo map.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Hey thanks troutdude! I noticed that place on the drive out.

Anyone have a map of the PVC fish attractors placed in the lake?

SS

M
mustardthetrout
Thanks for the report! How exactly do you fish senkos/wacky rig worms? I have tried them a few times and not had any luck.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Senkos are more or less designed to fish best as they are falling, but they are not confined to that role. My philosophy is that people should be willing to go through a few bags of a bait learning how that bait works best FOR THEM, not how other people fish the bait. Still, Texas rigged, Splitshot/Mojo/Carolina rigged, and Wacky/Jig Wacky are core techniques with Senkos. Smaller (>4") are fairly commonly drop-shotted as well.

I like to fish wacky for suspended fish, or fish holding on vertical structure or cover. I like to use Texas or similar presentations for fish on the bottom. Texas or Carolina rigging facilitates FINDING fish, because you can cover water quicker. I do think that in most cases Wacky is better for getting bites from recalcitrant fish.

Hope that helps.

SS

troutdude
troutdude
So THAT's the problem with fish! Who knew? LOL

re·cal·ci·trant
rəˈkalsətrənt/

adjective: recalcitrant

1. having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority or discipline.
"a class of recalcitrant fifteen-year-olds"
synonyms: uncooperative, intractable, obstreperous, truculent, insubordinate, defiant, rebellious, willful, wayward, headstrong, self-willed, contrary, difficult

C
cdat
I'm going to have to go back out there, I fished the dam last week with a worm, had no luck. More than likely my lack of knowing what I'm doing, 1st time I tried fishing carolina rigged worm.
John

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
It is going to be tough to drag a Carolina rig on those rocks... I might suggest a split-shot rig, a lighter version of a C-rig. Don't set up camp in one spot, keep moving and covering water till you get bit.

C
cdat
I will be back out there, intend to learn bass fishing, appreciate the advice.
John