Hagg Lake Tues. 2/9

M
Masin
The wife and I are hitting hagg today. Will report later today.

bass
bass
Hope you are having good luck out there today. It sure looks beautiful outside - from my office window :(

S
smoky
I was supposed to go to hagg and take my new pontoon out for its first trip but then someone called in to work and now I'm working. Ain't life grand.

C
cdumitru78
AGH, someone go catch some fish!

M
Masin
Just got back. We fished boat c from about 10:30 to 5:00. One of the slowest days I can remember. There were a bunch of people and a handful of bites between them. Hope it picks up.

B
bubs
I went out to Hagg from about 12 to 3 on a mission to try to catch catfish from the bank (having never specifically tried this there before). I went to one of the lake arms that I thought might have some cats poking around this time of year and fished nightcrawlers and chicken livers at a few different spots, including well up the lake arm where I had the place to myself. No catfish landed, but during the ~1.5 hr I fished nightcrawlers, I did land 4 trout! 3 of them were 12-13 inchers to boot. At one point I did miss a really big set of hits on the rod as I had walked away briefly...who knows, maybe it was a fatty catfish! No love on the chicken livers.

It was really nice out, and the water in the lake (at least in the arm I fished) was the clearest I've seen since whenever it started raining every day...December?

troutdude
troutdude
smoky said:
I was supposed to go to hagg and take my new pontoon out for its first trip but then someone called in to work and now I'm working. Ain't life grand.

That just ain' t right bruddah!

troutdude
troutdude
Masin said:
Just got back. We fished boat c from about 10:30 to 5:00. One of the slowest days I can remember. There were a bunch of people and a handful of bites between them. Hope it picks up.

Did you have your OFFerings, within the top 10 feet of the surface? Or were you fishing OFF the bottom?

B
bubs
Masin said:

That's a bummer...seems like the trout are somewhat hard to predict in these conditions. There were definitely a LOT of trout where I was fishing, I think I could have had a heck of a day if I had targeted them! For those of you hitting Hagg in the next couple days, consider bottom fishing in/around the lake arms as I was getting a lot of action that way.

M
Masin
I'd like to hit the lake arms more often but my wife usually runs the trails so it's just more convenient to park at one of the ramps. Easier to keep an eye on our gear.

bass
bass
bubs said:
I went out to Hagg from about 12 to 3 on a mission to try to catch catfish from the bank (having never specifically tried this there before). I went to one of the lake arms that I thought might have some cats poking around this time of year and fished nightcrawlers and chicken livers at a few different spots, including well up the lake arm where I had the place to myself. No catfish landed, but during the ~1.5 hr I fished nightcrawlers, I did land 4 trout! 3 of them were 12-13 inchers to boot. At one point I did miss a really big set of hits on the rod as I had walked away briefly...who knows, maybe it was a fatty catfish! No love on the chicken livers.

It was really nice out, and the water in the lake (at least in the arm I fished) was the clearest I've seen since whenever it started raining every day...December?

Thanks for the report. Nice to hear that the water is clearing a bit. Sounds like you were definitely catching holdover trout which is cool. I have never targeted catfish at Hagg and I have never caught one accidentally, but I don't think I have ever bottom fished out there either. Back East I never though about catfishing until about May. Summer was the best: a hot North Carolina night, an ice cold beer and the stench of chicken livers in the air. I miss that for sure!

S
Subacca
Tried fishing at Hagg a few weeks back and the water level was super low and very brown water. Had one bite all day fishing half lake arm and half pier. how is the water level looking now?

B
bubs
bass said:
Summer was the best: a hot North Carolina night, an ice cold beer and the stench of chicken livers in the air. I miss that for sure!

Well bass, from your sturgeon reports, sounds like you found a decent alternative: ice cold river water, and the stench of herring in the air!

bass
bass
bubs said:
Well bass, from your sturgeon reports, sounds like you found a decent alternative: ice cold river water, and the stench of herring in the air!

I was not complaining about the fishing out here, I never caught an 8' catfish, but I do miss some experiences from the East coast.