Hagg hawg!

troutdude

The fellow who owns the Hog n' Dog BBQ joint, at Hagg Lake, posted this pic on Facebook today...or should I say...Toadday?

big hagg bass.jpg

bass

Most Featured
Dang, that's a big fat one. Especially impressive for a summertime fish. I bet that thing looked like a keg when she was full of eggs this spring.

Any idea on the weight?

Last edited:
That would of been a good candidate for C&R.
I agree! It's sad especially since he will take on bite and probably throw the rest away. Even small large mouths taste like crap. I kept one when I was very young (about 3lbs) and I will never keep another again. I ate it all though out of respect for the fish and with some influence from my dad LOL.

BaldTexan

I agree! It's sad especially since he will take on bite and probably throw the rest away. Even small large mouths taste like crap. I kept one when I was very young (about 3lbs) and I will never keep another again. I ate it all though out of respect for the fish and with some influence from my dad LOL.
I've eaten hundreds of bass, largemouth and smallmouth, although we released the Hawgs in Texas. The 1 to 3 lb. fish were the best for eating. Bring those bass fillets over. I'll cook us up a very delicious dinner...and it won't be cooked like trout or salmon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My recipe for most white fish is simple. Egg wash, Ritz crack crumbs with choice of seasoning (if desired), fried in coconut oil and a Sriracha/Mayo mix for dipping. How do you do it BaldTexan?

BaldTexan

Similar. Milk/Egg wash, corn meal with a pinch of lemon pepper, salt, pepper, garlic salt. Fry in skillet. I prefer butter. No dip needed for me. I sometimes squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice on it. Also delicious the next morning cold from the refrigerator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My recipe for most white fish is simple. Egg wash, Ritz crack crumbs with choice of seasoning (if desired), fried in coconut oil and a Sriracha/Mayo mix for dipping. How do you do it BaldTexan?
That is what I do for my halibut but I use butter instead of coconut oil and I make some homemade tartar. The sriracha/mayo mix sound good though! I might have to try that on my next batch. Oh, and I also flour first, then egg wash, the ritz crumbs.

veggie oil fried mined garlic, water, tamarind soup mix, tomato paste, some dill, Thai basel. And don't forget the chili powder and siracha. Delicious bass soup.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hawk

Please leave the bigg'uns alive to spawn many more years.

12" -14" catfish fillets taste the best, or deep fry some crappie,etc.

Use McCormick Golden Dipt Beer batter mix.....yum...:)

make some fried taters & purple onions...homemade coleslaw, warm bread...cold beer.....:D...yep