Got into em this weekend!

S
slabcity
Finally got out and went up the Klamath last weekend and got into some big adults and halfies! :shock:

• IMAG0044.jpg
T
TimberTodd
Nice fish. Welcome to OFF.

P
plumb2fish
I wonder how much Coke it took to stop that nates bleeding? Bad form on my part....

Please know and follow the regulations of the body of water and the species of fish present. I have been guilty of this myself in the past and it cost me my fishing privileges and gear as well as a hefty fine. I didn't understand how fragile native fish populations could be. The best thing you could do to improve your success is to educate yourself about what you are targeting. Knowledge is power.

Last edited:
M
MattZ
coke? stop the bleeding? Are natives release only on klamath?

S
slabcity
From what ive heard i think you have to let all wild steelhead go in california. Maybe salmon too? Not sure about that though. He swam away just fine :)

M
MattZ
jeez ddue, if that is the case, do be more careful while handling fish in the future, that fish may have swam away but will have had its chances of surviving decreased significantly with your fingers in his gills and that kind of blood loss. I know sometimes things can't be avoided, but when fishing in areas with special fish like these, please do be more considerate of the resource. I would love it if my kids got to catch steelhead too!

keep fishing, but be a bit more gentle.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Nice fish! And it makes me even happier to know you're a Beaver fan

S
slabcity
Agreed Mattz. Whats this coke trick you speak of?

R
rippin fish lips
slabcity said:
Finally got out and went up the Klamath last weekend and got into some big adults and halfies! :shock:

NOT the way to Handle a Native fish. Tail the fish.... Belly it, not gill it (hold it by the gills). Keep the fish in the water and take your pic. Pop the hook, revive the fish and let it free.

P
plumb2fish
If you pour a little coca cola on the source of the blood from a bleeding fish, it will clot the blood and slow or stop the bleeding.

Last edited:
N
need to fish
that a nice fish

madasahab
madasahab
Nice Job!

E
eugene1
Yep, let all wild steelies free in California, Wild Nooks can be kept in certain runs, but Coho = no keep.

Nice fish, and agree with others about keeping fish in the water if you're going to release 'em. Good to see some Klamath fish coming home! Were you fishing in OR or CA by the way?

Best,

slabcity said:
From what ive heard i think you have to let all wild steelhead go in california. Maybe salmon too? Not sure about that though. He swam away just fine :)

P
plumb2fish
Slabby,
The first pic you posted of that fish with the gills ripped out and the blood on the belly is what my comments were directed at. If you had posted the current picture first, I would have had no idea that you ripped the gills out and kept the fish.
My approach is pretty harsh, but I speak from experience. As stated, I am no saint and have learned the hard way. Once again I urge you to learn about your target species as well as the incidentals of each fishery. You will become a better fisherman if you do and will hopefully be able to pass your knowledge on to others...maybe with more tact than I have. Learn from your mistakes and strive to not make the same ones is all anyone can do. Good Luck out there and hope to see many more possitive trips in your future.

Reactions: rogerdodger and Raincatcher
E
eugene1
As usual, I can't give you more reps, plumb... Didn't see any bloody pix but I've been out all day working for the man. Got to agree that nates should be handled carefully though.

Best to you on the upcoming Mac season,

plumb2fish said:
Slabby,
The first pic you posted of that fish with the gills ripped out and the blood on the belly is what my comments were directed at. If you had posted the current picture first, I would have had no idea that you ripped the gills out and kept the fish.
My approach is pretty harsh, but I speak from experience. As stated, I am no saint and have learned the hard way. Once again I urge you to learn about your target species as well as the incidentals of each fishery. You will become a better fisherman if you do and will hopefully be able to pass your knowledge on to others...maybe with more tact than I have. Learn from your mistakes and strive to not make the same ones is all anyone can do. Good Luck out there and hope to see many more possitive trips in your future.

H
halibuthitman
plumb2fish said:
If you pour a little coca cola on the source of the blood from a bleeding fish, it will clot the blood and slow or stop the bleeding.

if you add a little wiskey to the coke it makes the pain go away as well..;)

P
plumb2fish
Shot of whiskey for me, chaser of coke for the fish...I like your thinking Brad!

P
plumb2fish
eugene1 said:
As usual, I can't give you more reps, plumb... Didn't see any bloody pix but I've been out all day working for the man. Got to agree that nates should be handled carefully though.

Best to you on the upcoming Mac season,

Thanks, just wish my delivery was more tactful at times. On the other hand, a tactful approach wouldn't have worked for me....
Hope the Delta treats you well and you have success in your new endeavors.

M
MattZ
plumb, its cool, he realized the error, nd you weren't too harsh. Win Win! all of us have better days fishing in the future because of it. thanks for being that guy, somebody needs to do it in this touchy feely don't tread on me country.

F
FlyBum
This is the reason why I stay out of this section of the Forum. This is disgusting the disregard of how people handle fish just sickens me. How would you like some one poking their finger in your lungs?