Got a little nook this weekend!

S
Steeliekiller
Pulled this girl from the Trask Sunday morning. After running my bobber egg set up for about an hour with nothing, saw a couple roll. Tossed down the bobber and tied the trusty #6 fox and second cast flutters down and stops? Hmmm start pulling on it nothing moving, damn I'm snagged give a couple get out of the rock yanks and holy $#/! She erupts, FISH ON!!! Let me tell ya she was fun on the 9'6 steel rod with 10# with no net and a couple botched tail grabs by my buddy an getting a bit tangled up as she decides she's not fully tuckered out. Screenshot_2013-11-17-15-14-01.jpgScreenshot_2013-11-17-16-46-32.jpg a little colored but cut nice. Sitting in brine waitin to be smoked!!

N
n8r1
Nice fish! She should smoke well.

I had a similar story yesterday but without the happy ending. First cast with the #6 blue fox, BAM, fish on. Fought him for 15 minutes, and got him all the way to the bank. A bright Chinook about 36 inches. Went in for the tail grab, got my fingers around him, almost had him, and he thrashed away and started peeling line. 5 more minutes of fighting, and he managed to get downstream and onto a shallow gravel bar in only a few inches of water. Uh oh...a few hard flops and he snapped my #25 leader and swam away. That fish is going to haunt me for a while. I actually had trouble sleeping last night as I thought about losing him.

Anyhow, nice work on the late nook. Steel are starting to show up too!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Nice. I've gotta float that river someday.

D
DrTheopolis
The way I've done it forever with hardware fishing anyway, is when you get the fish to the bank/shallows, forget tailing it. I gently run my hand down the line (MUCH easier with two people), grab the shaft of the spinner, and drag it on up... way less fish lost than trying to tail them.

S
Steeliekiller
Yeah that would probably worked better if I wasn't running 10# I've had a few break be OFF that way. Thanks for the advice.