Going to Lost Lake

L
Letsfish
Considering heading over to Lost Lake this Monday and was wondering if anyone has been up there yet this year and how it went.

J
JonT
I'd like to hit it with you sometime. Looks like it won't be restocked until May, but I'm sure there are plenty of fish in there. Do you have a kayak/canoe?

L
Letsfish
JonT
I fish out a pontoon boat as does my buddy and we are in the process of getting another friend to go with us. If you see a small trailer three high with pontoons that would be us. I believe the lake received its first stocking 3/17 or there about and is due for another one later this month. We don’t know yet if we are going there for sure and I was fishing around for someone that has already been there and was willing to share what is going on. Probably Sunday evening we will make the decision as where we are head.

L
Letsfish
JonT
I am thinking of going to the Lost Lake in the North Coastal Zone off of Hwy 26 and it looks like you are talking about the one in The Dallas District.

M
minnowmagnet
I was there yesterday (wed 3/2) and there were ridiculous amounts of 9-10" cookie-cutter white fleshed scrappy little rainbows in there. The few steelhead I saw jumping were dark and not biting but they would shoot straight up in the air like tortured souls out of the lake of Acheron and put on a real show. I brought home two little bows for my cat who was grateful. A bald eagle out fished everyone else on the day and was not shy towards a man in a kayak. It ate salamanders off the surface with equal adeptness and vigor. I like to pinch off the barbs so I can release the 50 or so fish without touching them so others can enjoy.

M
minnowmagnet
I was there yesterday (wed 4/2)

L
Letsfish
Thank you for the report. We likewise are barb pinchers, like to tie flies and let fish go. When you go skiing you don't bring home snow we likewise leave it for others to enjoy.

M
Matimeo
I was up there a few weeks ago. I was trying with a worm under a bobber, hoping to catch one of the giant fish I saw jumping out of the water. I went up in the afternoon (around 3:00) after a day of work in Seaside and there were fish jumping everywhere. A few cars drove up to the lake then left and I was pretty much the only person there. It was beautiful but a little wet. After an hour or two without luck, I got serious about catching some fish and starting throwing some powerbait off the bottom and quickly caught a limit of pasty white fleshed stockers. Trout jerky made them edible.

I'm going up again tomorrow and want to target the steelhead, so I'm going to take some sandshrimp. I couldn't find any regulations anywhere about limits on Steelhead caught in the lake. Are they considered trout and just part of the basic limit? Anybody know?

I've also heard from one source that there are lots of crayfish in that lake. Anybody ever had any luck catching them? A few years ago I threw my traps into a deeper part of the far end of the lake but didn't catch any. Wondering if there are some good spots. Hope to see some of you up there tomorrow!

T
troutmasta
Letsfish said:
Thank you for the report. We likewise are barb pinchers, like to tie flies and let fish go. When you go skiing you don't bring home snow we likewise leave it for others to enjoy.
C&R has its place. I commend your intention.
However, you can't order snow at a restaurant because its not food, trout are.
Those fish are put there to eat. That lake cannot sustain that population and most of those fish will die.

Matimeo- I've had success with those big steel with a sandshrimp under a 1/2 oz bobber.

Finally, I've never seen a crawfish there, just a TON of newts.

There are 3 lost lakes in OR though.

M
Matimeo
Well, no luck on the steelhead. I couldn't get my hands on any live sandshrimp, so I was using coon tails I bought at the sporting goods store, pickled in a bottle. I saw one or two jump when I first got there, but nary a nibble on that shrimp. However, my kids had lots of fun reeling in the trout with powerbait and eggs/worms. Both were about equally effective. We easily caught our limits and had a great time paddling around the lake.

On the catch and release topic, I agree that the amount of fish they stock in there couldn't survive if they weren't fished out. So long as folks are eating them, I think that's what ODFW has in mind when they plop 10,000 or so fish in there every year.

I still want me one of them steelhead though.

F
FRITZFRITZFRITZ
3 lost lk in oregon

3 lost lk in oregon

[QUOTE.

There are 3 lost lakes in OR though.[/QUOTE]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Lake_(Oregon)
Lost Lake (Baker County, Oregon)7388Anthony Lakes1123509
Lost Lake Reservoir (Baker County, Oregon)6152Deadman Point1129538
Lost Lake (Nicolai Mountain, Clatsop County, Oregon)512Nicolai Mountain1123503
Lost Lake (Elsie, Clatsop County, Oregon)1476Elsie1123511
Lost Lake (Camas Valley, Coos County, Oregon)2356Camas Valley1160899
Lost Lake (Bandon, Coos County, Oregon)26Bandon1161428
Lost Lake (Callahan, Douglas County, Oregon)1542Callahan1123506
Lost Lake (Tahkenitch Creek, Douglas County, Oregon)161Tahkenitch Creek1153410
Lost Lake (Grant County, Oregon)6155Desolation Butte1145545
Lost Lake (Harney County, Oregon)7444Fish Lake1123505
Lost Lake (Hood River County, Oregon)3146Bull Run Lake1145546
Lost Lake (Jackson County, Oregon)3599Grizzly Peak1123504
Lost Lake (Jefferson County, Oregon)5305Olallie Butte1145544
Lost Lake (Pelican Butte, Klamath County, Oregon)5873Pelican Butte1145543
Lost Lake (Antler Point, Klamath County, Oregon)5584Antler Point1153866
Lost Lake (Tidbits Mountain, Linn County, Oregon)3730Tidbits Mountain1123507
Lost Lake (Santiam Pass, Linn County, Oregon)4003Santiam Junction1123508
Lost Lake (Morrow County, Oregon) 17px-WMA_button2b.png600Ordnance1123510
Lost Lake (Wallowa County, Oregon)
THE frirst number is elevation so u can see that its not the same lk, is this the real number of lost lakes in Oregon?

Last edited:
D
DrTheopolis
Used to be one right in Cedar Mill, in just west of NW Portland. Got drained for a development, I think. Had cutthroat in it, way back when.

D
DrTheopolis
Let's not even get started on Rock Creek.

T
troutmasta
FRITZFRITZFRITZ said:
[QUOTE.

There are 3 lost lakes in OR though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Lake_(Oregon)THE frirst number is elevation so u can see that its not the same lk, is this the real number of lost lakes in Oregon?[/QUOTE]
By three I meant a million....and three.
Cool piece of info thanks!

D
DrTheopolis
Matimeo said:
Well, no luck on the steelhead.

In my experience, the leftover transplanted steelhead are pretty nasty tasting. Very cool to catch in a stocker pond, but not good eating.

O
outdoorgb
I've fished many lost lakes in Oregon...they are not so lost...
The steelies in the coastal lake sound like a blast.

F
FRITZFRITZFRITZ
lake sound like a blas

lake sound like a blas

outdoorgb said:
I've fished many.
lake sound like a blas, yes it dose, when r we go n.lol

F
FRITZFRITZFRITZ
Very cool to catch i

Very cool to catch i

DrTheopolis said:
In my experience, the leftover transplanted steelhead are pretty nasty tasting. Very cool to catch in a stocker pond, but not good eating.
what a bout smoked?