Giant sized Z-Ray spoons

troutdude
troutdude
Dang! I thought that what I bought, on fleabay, would be trout sized. Not something large enough, for deep sea fishing! I've NEVER seen Z-Rays this large, and this heavy, ever before! The largest ones that I had seen, to date, are only about 1/3 of this size.

The spoons alone (not counting the split rings, or the hooks) are 4 3/4" long, by 1" wide in the middle, tapered down to 3/4" at each tip, and about 3/16" thick. I'd peg the weight, around 2 oz. give or take.

I wanted the red one, because a smaller version nailed an 11-pound Hagg Lake trophy once. The metallic blue one is VERY cool, as it reflects the other colors that are around it. The red one is glossy, but without metallic finish.

But I just don't know, what species to chase with them. Possibly Fall Nooks, with downriggers I guess.

Giant Z Rays.jpg

Blue Z Ray.jpg

Last edited:
J
JustMe
Looks perfect for lingcod!

troutdude
troutdude
Hadn't thought of that; but they could be used for jiggin'!

I have a guide buddy, in the Portland area. He said that they would also work well, with a downrigger, for salmon. They are also probably good, that way, for Mackinaw down deep too.

D
DrTheopolis
I would think trolling with a dropper/downrigger/diver on the Columbia might just work. Or even plunked in proper current. Not really much different from a wobbler.

Probably do well in just about any big water, I would guess. Ocean included.

B
bubs
Man, I haven't seen one of those in awhile, and no offense, but getting the giant ones by accident is a pretty funny story...!

I did a lot of experimenting with spoons (cast from bank) this Fall and actually hooked more salmon on them than spinners (a couple coho and a handful of chinook). Towards the end of this time (when the run was pretty much dead) I finally got around to trying out some seriously big spoons, 1+ oz, and their action was awesome. I think they'd be great for Chinook (not necessarily those colors though..), especially since a lot of my hits came when the spoon was fluttering down from the surface before really entering the swing. I would think Z-Rays would have great flutter action as they sink, and the weight would sink them in the zone perfectly for the hole I have in mind..hmm...glad you posted this!

D
DrTheopolis
bubs said:
not necessarily those colors though

Colors catch fishermen, not fish.

B
bubs
DrTheopolis said:
Colors catch fishermen, not fish.

Really? That's all you took away from my post?? To this I say, 'lures catch fish, not cute one-liners' :bleh:

Seriously though, maybe you're just trolling me, but my experience (which, as untrustworthy as it may be, is all I can really trust, when it comes down to it) says that A) it's true, color don't mean *** in many situations, and B) that I have not once gotten a salmon to bite anything that is dominantly blue or red in my favorite spoon fishing spot, not for lack of trying...the $1.79 price tag on Steel-EE style spoons is what catches me haha...and I've tried em all...

If I were to get myself some solid color ZRays for next Fall, they'd be orange or lime green or pink, that's all I'm sayin man. Your mileage may vary.