Bottom fishing in bay at Charleston

plumbertom
plumbertom

I just got home from a day on the water at Charleston.
working water around 15' up river from the number 7 marker we manage 16 legal dungeness crabs and one red that was large enough to bother with.
Tossed back a couple smaller red and many Just short dungeness and some really nice sized females.
Fishing around the structure, jetties and pilings, and kelp beds we scratched out 9 Black rockfish and one copper rockfish largest of which was about 1-1/2 to 1- 3/4 lbs.be prepared if you fish the cribs you're gonna feed the pair of sea lions that have made it their hunting ground. Lost a number of fish and jigs to them today.

4labs
4labs
Great report
Just got my boat out of the shop and need to test run it. Want to head down there soon.

Reactions: plumbertom
G
Gulfstream
How were the crabs? Last time I was out of Bandon they were pretty soft I guess the next time I go I am going to bring a bag of marbles and my wrist rocket!

plumbertom
plumbertom
I was told they were hard. I never handled them myself this trip, if you can imagine that.
My partner pulled the traps and measured the crabs. Then pulled them out of the live hold and cleaned them while I filleted the fish.
Even when I cooked them I only put the pot on the burner and pulled the basket when they were cooked.
I didn't even eat any this time, my daughter picked about half for whatever she has planned for them and froze the rest.
Them damned sea lions know what a wrist rocket is and will dive whenever you get out.
They will lay up on the surface and watch to see you hook a fish they can steal, but as soon as you pull up the wrist rocket, they dive and hide.
They also seemed to recognize my little boat. They came near as soon as I arrived and followed me around until I moved out of the cribs area.
I'm pretty sure one of them is the same one that was there two weeks ago.
I fed them at least 6 fish and my partner 4 or five before we gave it up.

G
Gulfstream
Damn,That is frusturating….to say the least

4labs
4labs
m 80s work great but the seal lovers in coos would have a baby.