Fly tying and patterns sharing thread

Chromatose
Chromatose
Nice take on the Woolybugger & Sculpin Streamer patterns. I can not make comment on store bought rods as I have been wrapping my own now for a number of decades.
Enjoy your new stick just the same!

M
Mr.Joshua
Nice, somehow I missed this thread.
I whipped up some freestyle Hairwings this morning while watching the snow fly. Needed some blue a4d3b416623c2c7bc0540f2d8409bb76.jpg

Reactions: Echskech
P
playhooky
Mr.Joshua said:
Nice, somehow I missed this thread.
I whipped up some freestyle Hairwings this morning while watching the snow fly. Needed some blue

Beautiful Mr.J..... makes me want to dress up a few hooks

Last edited by a moderator:
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I've been trying to improve my fly tying. Still a little rough, but it is a lot of fun. Here are a couple of Hairs Ears from the other day.

Reactions: Echskech, playhooky and Admin
brandon4455
brandon4455
Bump! Working on some Stillwater stuff. Let’s see everyone’s recent ties.

Reactions: TheKnigit, playhooky and Admin
brandon4455
brandon4455
Here’s a couple more. Standard maroon & black Simi seal balanced leech

balanced olive Green & maroon bugger (alternate color scheme to a pumpkinhead)

Reactions: Admin
P
playhooky
Also been attempting Balanced Leech Patterns. Daiichi 4647 size 12 ... Gold 3.0mm slotted tungsten bead ... Black maribou ... Blood simi seal dubbing (Arizona) ... root beer angel hair ... 1/2 inch sewing dart. First attempt.
IMG_1625.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: brandon4455 and Admin
brandon4455
brandon4455
playhooky said:
Also been attempting Balanced Leech Patterns. Daiichi 4647 size 12 ... Gold 3.0mm slotted tungsten bead ... Black maribou ... Blood simi seal dubbing (Arizona) ... root beer angel hair ... 1/2 inch sewing dart. First attempt.
Very nice!! Good proportions and color

brandon4455
brandon4455
I’ve tried a few other materials for the body but the Simi seal type dubbing is always my go to for sure. The flow and movement and how long it can be picked out is a big reason why. I tied this black and blue one with black ice dubbing for the body and although fishy, the fibers aren’t as long as the seal
FD553D8E-65B9-477A-8A2D-9B5ED11B9F89.jpeg

P
playhooky
brandon4455 said:
Very nice!! Good proportions and color

Thanks Brandon. I really like the idea of the colored bead on your leech patterns. Definitely compliments the colors in the body materials. I’ve been working on a new dry pattern (new for me anyway). Size 14. Cheers!!
IMG_1664.jpg

brandon4455
brandon4455
DDC37766-420D-4CF3-857F-3939687B208D.jpeg

1787FEE7-CBCB-49A9-82D5-C5FAD29FA8A9.jpeg

F1BBBF65-1153-41E0-95BE-BEE3425A7030.jpeg

Ostrich herl callibaetis which is a pretty standard fly

thread body callibaetis (Brandon’s hatch ready callibaetis)
And Brandon’s damsel bugger. Have had success with all 3 this season. Chironomids are my favorite but it has been fun fishing other hatches this year too. I wish this place wasn’t so dead!

Reactions: Echskech and Admin
P
playhooky
IMG_1562.jpg

Reactions: Echskech and Admin
Echskech
Echskech
Kinda an old dead thread, huh?
20200930_231218.jpg
20200930_231120.jpg
Well here's my recent stab at a few euro style flys that have been producing plenty of good times on my local water. Though at times it seems anything works as long as it gets deep, these keep the bite right.

The pearl tinsel with Wine underbody, p.t. tail, and purple lazer-dub collar is money in the bank!
20200930_231041.jpg
20200930_230943.jpg

Reactions: Admin
Echskech
Echskech
Where do you all get your hooks and beads at? Im looking for better selection then just Sportsmans.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I haven't found a much better place than Sportsman's for hooks. For bead heads I have been using local craft stores and buying jewelry chain. You have to take it apart, but you can either use them as bead heads or dumbbells.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Nice ties! Old thread but one of the best on this site. Just not much activity here anymore. I haven’t gotten into euro flies but I also rarely fish streams for trout these days. I order my hooks from the caddis fly shop in Eugene (caddisflyshop.com) and the fly shop out of Redding,Ca (theflyshop.com) and buy their brand (TFS) hooks. Good quality and best pricing. But the caddis fly hands down has the best selection of the two websites.

Echskech
Echskech
brandon4455 said:
Nice ties! Old thread but one of the best on this site. Just not much activity here anymore. I haven’t gotten into euro flies but I also rarely fish streams for trout these days. I order my hooks from the caddis fly shop in Eugene (caddisflyshop.com) and the fly shop out of Redding,Ca (theflyshop.com) and buy their brand (TFS) hooks. Good quality and best pricing. But the caddis fly hands down has the best selection of the two websites.
Oh awesome! I'd sourced the Big Y Flyshop in Hood River but thats about it. Thanks for the recommendations!

Echskech
Echskech
Well the salmon are coming into my neck of the woods pretty hot and heavy these past weeks. I was late to the big fly party but finally got to spend a few hours tonight whipping up some size 1's for the silver Sea Monsters out there.

20211105_184332.jpg

Reactions: DOKF
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Nice. Clean and consistent. If they won’t eat those, to hell with them.

Also… love the 200 yard spools of 8/0 uni. I got a bunch of that thread on 80 yard spools, which I think might have been a price point deal for Sportsman’s…? I went through a lot of the black, brown, olive and red when I was tying. Maybe I’ll get back to it at some point.

Admin
Admin
Echskech said:
Kinda an old dead thread, huh?
It's time to bump it up again. )

Trout season is getting closer. Show what you prepared.