Fly fishing for trout: A McKenzie float trip

O
OnTheFly
I picked bigsteel up at his house then hit the road again and continued south towards Eugene and the McKenzie River to do a little trout fishing. We met up with our guide Barret Christiansen from the Caddis Fly Shop and were underway from the boat ramp at Bellinger. The weather was a mixed bag of warm sun to only occasional light rain and brief hail. To a winter fisherman in Oregon, this was a great day to be out on the water. A couple balded eagles watched as we drifted by then made their distinctive chirps. Dave hooked up first with a mid size rainbow then a cutty. It was my turn next when the indicator disappeared followed by resistance in the line. This one I lost but we all got a good look at another beautiful McKenzie redside. We caught many other fish during our float and for me, I wouldn't have wanted to spend my time doing anything else. Here are a few short videos:

The scene minutes after launching
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuLE3QMYHqQ

One of bigsteel's fish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSWF11zCcKw

All fish were released unharmed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RslwniqNDEE

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
excellent job you guys! if the rain doesn't ruin things i hope to be throwing flies for some trout on a smaller stream down that way

F
FlyBum
Nice I like Barret's tying videos as well. The first video was listed as private??

Reactions: Tribal16
M
mlw
Nice fish - have heard the mac is fishing well and I am working to much and thinking about fishing,....
Lucky guys to Barrett on the sticks, not sure whether he is a better fly tyer or guide - darn good at both.
Michael

Reactions: Tribal16 and bigsteel
S
Sinkline

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
awesome videos jim,it was a pleasure spending the day with you again and gettin into some nice fish,man i can't wait to do it again

:loved the 3rd video :D

randy,we were talking about throwing streamers down there,but most people just stick to the same routine nymphs and dries!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
Nice fish, boys...Looks like another perfect day. Barret is cool. I like the third vid too. :yay:

T
TTFishon
Looks like a fun day on the water! Thanks for sharing.

O
OnTheFly
I was telling Barret at the take out about the time I was there during a caddis hatch that was so thick it choked you. He new exactly what I was talking about. If you threw a caddis imitation out there when a hatch like that was happening you would loose sight of your fly instantly. Your only recourse would be to fish the emerger. I'd like to float the McKenzie again during the March Brown hatch maybe from Hayden to Armitage. Pontoon boats??:think:

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
Some days streamers work great. Yesterday they didn't. I got out late with a friend and we only picked up fish nymphing.

Sinkline said:
Awesome guys! Thanks for sharing the experience!

Do you guys ever streamer fish that water, or just nymphs and drys???

Randy

R
rippin fish lips
Nice report!! Looks like its time to start putting my casts back in on the mac now. Read your report like an hour ago... so i went out knowing the river would be chocolate, had to get some casts in. Didn't get any nibbles ofcourse! I kinda wish i wouldnt have went out cuz now... i am going insane once again. Also... i am sure that stretch looks so beautiful this time of year!!!

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
You guys seem to be having all the fun necessary to enjoy life on the water. Loved the videos and the gentle release. I'm waiting for a little warmer weather myself.

O
OnTheFly
Anyone else besides Flybum have trouble seeing the first video? I can't view it here at work. I won't create vids in private mode anymore.

B
bigsteel
I can't see the first video either,its private

O
OnTheFly
OK.....FIXED!!!!! I changed the status of the first video to public. It should be able to be viewed now.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
I couldn't watch it.

OnTheFly said:
Anyone else besides Flybum have trouble seeing the first video? I can't view it here at work. I won't create vids in private mode anymore.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
Sinkline said:
I can watch all three now.

Is that the guide's boat, or does it belong to one of you two? Just curious???

Randy
its the guides boat,i am still saving for mine!!!!!!!!!

H
halibuthitman
very sweet.. great videos as well!

S
Sinkline

Last edited: