Mckenzie winter trout on the fly

jamisonace
jamisonace
Got my first trout of 2016 on a fly this afternoon. River was about 7.1 today. 3-4 feet higher than I consider perfect but the weather was good and the water color was surprisingly good for all the rain we've had.

I floated with a friend and we weren't expecting much but we've done very well early in the year in the past and figured it was worth a try. We noticed some blue winged olives coming off but no rising fish. The float I like this time of year has a lot of productive pockets and runs when the water is lower but I didn't know what to expect at this level.

We hooked three fish today. Pictured was a nice little redside. Not pictured were two white fish, one of which was just under 20".

Can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon. When the water falls and the fish settle in to their normal spots, I expect the fishing to be incredible.

First Trout 16.jpg

O
OnTheDrop
Thumbs up!

Chromatose
Chromatose
One down and many more to come............................:thumb:

EOBOY
EOBOY
Jam;

Dang I want to hit that river sometime. Where do you put in? My son lives in Springfield and we fished from the bank at the Classical music hole, I'm sure you know where that is, everyone seems to know it.........LOL. It was his first time using drys. When I told him to put some dope on it he gave the strangest look, I love saying that to a newby.

EOBOY

jamisonace
jamisonace
I know that hole very well.

Next time you're down, hit me up. I have a great float that you would love. If you can do it before they start stocking, it's even better.

A pretty good day on this stretch is incredible compared to most rivers around me.

EOBOY said:
Jam;

Dang I want to hit that river sometime. Where do you put in? My son lives in Springfield and we fished from the bank at the Classical music hole, I'm sure you know where that is, everyone seems to know it.........LOL. It was his first time using drys. When I told him to put some dope on it he gave the strangest look, I love saying that to a newby.

EOBOY

jamisonace
jamisonace
EOBOY said:
Jam;

My son lives in Springfield and we fished from the bank at the Classical music hole, I'm sure you know where that is, everyone seems to know it...

EOBOY

By the way, if you hit this spot from the bank again, go upstream. The majority of the fish hold on the other side of the river so you can't get to them. But, the riffle upstream and the slow water on the bank on that side holds more of fish than the deep hole off the rock.

Reactions: Raincatcher
EOBOY
EOBOY
jamisonace said:
By the way, if you hit this spot from the bank again, go upstream. The majority of the fish hold on the other side of the river so you can't get to them. But, the riffle upstream and the slow water on the bank on that side holds more of fish than the deep hole off the rock.

Jam:

I would like to have someone show me a stretch of that river. One question when do they stock? Tanner and Masta say you know your stuff. We'll have to make plans. Thank you!

Dana

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'll be happy to take you out or float next to you....either is fine. They stock right before opening day. Fishing is still good afterwards but it's harder to get the big native red sides to bite.

I'll be fishing it as much as I can starting now. Or as soon as I get my boat back from Koffler.

EOBOY said:
Jam:

I would like to have someone show me a stretch of that river. One question when do they stock? Tanner and Masta say you know your stuff. We'll have to make plans. Thank you!

Dana