Fixing a broken rod

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Howdy folks. I have a problem. I have a 9'9" Berkley Air IM8 and I broke the darn tip about 2" from the end.

It seems my options for repairing it would be:

a.) Cut the rod at what is now the last tip and replace that eyelet (bringing the total length to 9'5")
b.) Just add a new eyelet to the current tip (bringing the total length to 9'7", but with only about 2" between the tip and the second eyelet)
c.) Reconnect the broken piece?

Any advice from you DIYers out there? I really like(d) the rod and would hate to have to replace it after ~6 months of use.

Gad nabbit!

C
Combat Chuck
1st thing... I think those have a 1 year warranty? Maybe you can get a new one? I think I would just move the tip 2 inches down. I actually have a Air IM7 that is now an 8'2" and I like the shorter rod! To remove the tip just heat it with a lighter, it will slide right off. There may even be enough glue left to put it to the new tip... or you can find the repair kits everywhere. Just my thoughts, there are other options I'm sure.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
They do have a warranty but I didn't keep my damn receipt. I wasn't even thinking about it at the time. Plus, with Berkley, you have to pay to ship it to them and back, so I figure I might as well just get something used on EBAY for $50 and call it a day. I would much rather keep this one in action though, both for the savings and a bit of fun in making my stupid mistake right. ;-)

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Sinkline said:
I would just fit a new tip-top on the end of the broken section and call it good. Just make sure the rod is not split below the break point.

Randy

Thanks Randy. It's a "nice" clean break, so that's probably the way to go.

S
Scotsman70
Greetings to you, Mr. Pinky

Take that rod to Ollie Damons on Pine and Grand, one block North of Andy and Bax.

These guys are the best in town and it won't break the bank.

Sharp Hooks Tight Lines

Reactions: pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
That's a good idea, Scotsman... thanks. I have been in there a couple of times and hadn't thought to check with them. Unfortunately they are closed on Sundays but I'll give them a ring tomorrow to look into it.

troutdude
troutdude
Scotsman70 said:
Take that rod to Ollie Damons on Pine and Grand, one block North of Andy and Bax.

These guys are the best in town and it won't break the bank.

Highly agree. Ollie's peeps are very good, and it won't cost a lot--to simply replace the tip.

F
FishWhistle
Ok! Pinky...Here's a Mc Giver in the field...stick a hard wood tooth pick (make it fit with a little sandpaper hand job) stick all three pcs. together with superglue, wa-la. keep fishing. tight lines.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
FishWhistle said:
Ok! Pinky...Here's a Mc Giver in the field...stick a hard wood tooth pick (make it fit with a little sandpaper hand job) stick all three pcs. together with superglue, wa-la. keep fishing. tight lines.

Who doesn't love a good sandpaper hand job?

18406ej
18406ej
pinkygonzales said:

Pinky- I have always been against using emoticons as I think that they are a little bit feminine. But if I did use them I would post about 60 smiling faces here.

EJ

Reactions: pinkygonzales
F
FlyBum
pinkygonzales said:

LOL!!! :lol: :redface: :yay:

What do you think of this EJ??

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Well, you fellas are smarter than ya look.

I spoke with the good folks over at Ollie's and they're recommending just popping the tip on right at the break. No need to further cut the rod and the distance between the top two eyelets shouldn't be a problem. But the repair IS going to dig into my beer budget for the month. They say this could easily set me back 2, maybe 4 dollars.

(If that were my actual beer budget, I would actually be a lot richer and at least 10 lbs lighter.)

Thanks for all the great advice! Lesson learned.

I think she needs a name now that she's seen some real action. Suggestions welcome, but I'm considering these...

Lucille Ball - "she's a real crack-up"
Susan B Anthony - "she's cost me a pretty penny"
Betty Bumpers - no explanation needed unless you don't know who she is
Hillary Clinton - there has to be a rod snapping joke in there somewhere

... I'm sure I'll think of more.

Thanks again, folks!

troutdude
troutdude
Happy to help. That's only a beer or two; so maybe you'll now be a pound or two lighter.

I'll cast my vote for: Lorena Bobbitt! LOL

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
troutdude said:
I'll cast my vote for: Lorena Bobbitt! LOL

BOOM! I knew you guys wouldn't let me down.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
I just paid $120 an hour to have this damn rod fixed... Thank God it only took 2 minutes! :lol:

Seriously, the guys at Ollie's fixed me right up in about 2 minutes flat, and charged me $4. Popped a new tip on the end and I was out of there. Thanks for the advice, everyone! See you on the water.

E
eugene1
This thread is great! good you got it fixed up, I would have suggested your option "b" if I had seen this earlier.

How did you break it?

Best,

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
eugene1 said:
How did you break it?

Eugene, that's the damndest thing of all. I have trekked through the jungle with this rod. I have practically used it as a harpoon and/or a pole vault. But you know how it broke? I leaned it against my 6' tent and it just fell over to the ground. Snap.

She may have lost 2 inches in length but she has gained 10 feet legend.

Last edited:
L
LuckyToBeFishing
pinkygonzales said:
That just sounds bad...

L
LuckyToBeFishing
Glad it's done without breaking the bank.

F
FishNinja
troutdude said:
Highly agree. Ollie's peeps are very good, and it won't cost a lot--to simply replace the tip.

Won't cost a lot but you're usually looking at 3-6 weeks wait for them to fix it. They aren't exactly very time conscious there and rarely get it fixed within the time frame they quote. They do very good work though.