First trip to Cougar

D
diggindan
The wife and I are finally planning a trout fishing trip. We haven't been on the water much lately and have really been missing it. We always like new places so hope to test our luck at Cougar Saturday.
I'll load the standard trout arsenal. Any tips/directions are very welcome.
Thanks, Dan

P.S. We'll be the Grandparents putting about in a tan 14' open bow. 15 hp Merc.

troutdude
troutdude
If I recall correctly, I think that orange & bronze Dick Nite Spoons work well in there.

Troutski
Troutski
I'll be there as well on Saturday, I'll be on the lookout for your craft... I will be in a Cream colored Smokercraft, give me a shout and we can chat about the lakes special wonders. I will have an OFF sticker for you if you are interested... Best of luck and tight lines..

Chuck

P4040009.jpg

D
diggindan
We'll be looking for you Chuck. Look forward to meeting someone famous, or is it infamous?
I'm hoping for good weather. No top on this boat and the Admiral doesn't like getting wet or cold.
Cheers, Dan

M
mahmichael
Troutski said:
I'll be there as well on Saturday, I'll be on the lookout for your craft... I will be in a Cream colored Smokercraft, give me a shout and we can chat about the lakes special wonders. I will have an OFF sticker for you if you are interested... Best of luck and tight lines..

Chuck

Where can I buy one of those stickers?!!

Troutski
Troutski
It is suppose to be in the mid 70's, some high clouds in the late afternoon... The water will still be very cold but the weather should be down right NICE.
I believe the infamous has the most truth to it...
Don't be shy, stop by...

Chuck

Troutski
Troutski
mahmichael said:
Where can I buy one of those stickers?!!

I don't sell them, I give them away when I meet a fellow OFFers on the water,let me know when you will be in my neck of the woods and we can meet up and tell some lies and have a laugh. These are the original OFF stickers... Very unique design indeed, here is a view of them.

Chuck
O.F.F. Sticker EST.2006.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
Troutski said:
I don't sell them, I give them away when I meet a fellow OFFers on the water,let me know when you will be in my neck of the woods and we can meet up and tell some lies and have a laugh. These are the original OFF stickers... Very unique design indeed, here is a view of them.

Chuck

Yo Chuck,

Why don't you give all of your stickers to me. Then, I can jack up the price and peddle them and make a killing! ;) :lol: BTW, I have not seen those stickers before. Did JamisonAce make those too?

Good luck out there.

(SIDE BAR: I'll be at Olalla Resevoir tomorrow morning...banking it early, then in a boat later w/ my 4 yr. old grand niece. If anyone sees me, say hello).

T
TTFishon
I think those were the originals. BTW, have fun at Cougar!!!

Troutski
Troutski
Well we made it up to Cougar at sunrise, what a beautiful site.... Launched the magic carpet and both motors fired right up... We headed straight for my old haunt and we were the first anglers there, tossed out a "Gold Spoon", couldn't have been 2 min and slam the rod takes a slam.... What a great feeling to boat a fish right off the bat, from there it was like being in a Trout farm. Haven't had a day like that in very long time, Lucky was in for a great day.. He broke two personal best before noon, watching someone get their first slam casting a "gold Spoon" was priceless. Not only did he catch the largest fish of his life but casting a lure to boot, the look on his face was something I will take to the grave. We caught fish trolling, casting lures, bobber and bottom fishing. Looked for diggindan but never saw him, I did run into my old mentor.. the guy that taught me more about catching Trout than I could have learned on my own in two lifetimes, him and his best friend along with his Son. Perfect day on the water, 65 degrees with a light breeze - we toured the lake and I shown Lucky a few of my favorite places and got to put the new craft through its paces, what a dream machine. I honestly lost track on how many fish we boated, all were Native Rainbows and in perfect health. This lake has come back from the brink and soared to levels of the early 70's. I am not saying that everyone that makes a trip to Cougar will have a day like ours but the fish are there and if you use patients you will be rewarded.
One thing I will share on a open forum is this..... Blue River res was just stocked with over 6000 Rainbows and the boat ramps are in.....;)

Chuck

003.jpg
004.jpg
008.jpg
002.jpg

troutdude
troutdude
John Kay, and all of the Steppenwolf gang, could not have had a better day on the water (on their own Magic Carpet Ride)! :rolleyes:

Awesome report Chuck. I'm glad you had some fun, and nabbed a bucket o' fish. :cool:

D
diggindan
I can't match Troutski's report by any means but it was a grand day anyhow. The only thing we caught was some much needed rays of sunshine. I don't like trout anyway.
As Chuck said, it's a beautiful place. Perfect temp, no wind, no bugs, no jetskis. Great break in our routine.
Cheers, Dan

L
LuckyToBeFishing
Troutski said:
Well we made it up to Cougar at sunrise, what a beautiful site.... Launched the magic carpet and both motors fired right up... We headed straight for my old haunt and we were the first anglers there, tossed out a "Gold Spoon", couldn't have been 2 min and slam the rod takes a slam.... What a great feeling to boat a fish right off the bat, from there it was like being in a Trout farm. Haven't had a day like that in very long time, Lucky was in for a great day.. He broke two personal best before noon, watching someone get their first slam casting a "gold Spoon" was priceless. Not only did he catch the largest fish of his life but casting a lure to boot, the look on his face was something I will take to the grave. We caught fish trolling, casting lures, bobber and bottom fishing. Looked for diggindan but never saw him, I did run into my old mentor.. the guy that taught me more about catching Trout than I could have learned on my own in two lifetimes, him and his best friend along with his Son. Perfect day on the water, 65 degrees with a light breeze - we toured the lake and I shown Lucky a few of my favorite places and got to put the new craft through its paces, what a dream machine. I honestly lost track on how many fish we boated, all were Native Rainbows and in perfect health. This lake has come back from the brink and soared to levels of the early 70's. I am not saying that everyone that makes a trip to Cougar will have a day like ours but the fish are there and if you use patients you will be rewarded.
One thing I will share on a open forum is this..... Blue River res was just stocked with over 6000 Rainbows and the boat ramps are in.....;)

Chuck

Wow. What a day... I can't thank you enough, Chuck. Not only are you great company, but I always learn a ton when we're out. Can't wait for the next one! Cruisin' around on your magic carpet was like living in the lap of luxury. Muchas Gracias, Amigo.