First perch on a Stickleback

C_Run
C_Run
Wha??? Did that ring a bell? More on that in a minute.

I had the privilege to be on the South Coast again last week and had most of Thursday to fish. I was hoping the salmon fishing would still be hot on Elk and Sixes but, due to the lack of rain, it was getting difficult from what I had heard. I had also brought steelhead gear and thought of driving to the Coquille or Chetco to give it a try but, when fishing day came around, I didn't feel like driving that far. I decided instead to go with my old standby, the big blue Pacific Ocean.

Last spring I had invested in an assortment of Stickleback bait products made by fellow OFFer, Daelheets. I have been hoarding them in the freezer ever since. I see his website is still going so maybe we will hear from him again soon. Anyway, besides my raw shrimp from Winco, I also had some "Jig tippers" along on the trip. I hit the high tide from the beach with a 6'6" medium Ugly Stick instead of the 10' heavy surf rod I normally use for perch. After losing a few perch on the shrimp, I switched to the jig tipper. I found that to be an effective bait for surf perch all by itself and they stay on the hook even after catching a fish.

I was 13 short of a limit but still happy because they are scrappy little slabs on the light tackle and good eating. Then I switched to a rocky shore and fished with a jig. I ended up with one nice black rockfish.

J6lwc.jpg

The weather was great and I am glad I didn't go off on a fools errand trying to catch salmon and steelhead. There is plenty of time for that later.

brandon4455
brandon4455
nice fish! :clap: glad someone caught something...i still have the smell of skunk surrounding me lol

A
AlohaBoy
Beautiful Catch! What kind of jig were you using?

P
PNW Sam
The weather has just been incredible lately! Nice fish, and it looks like it was a great day.

A
AlohaBoy
PNW Sam said:
The weather has just been incredible lately! Nice fish, and it looks like it was a great day.

Exactly! The coast has been better weather than us lately.

W
waco
Wow looks like a beatiful day on the coast!! I bet those fish are very tasty!!!

Reactions: Drew9870
C
Coastaldweller
Nice pics, I love fishing that area. I have caught a couple 20lb lings from a hole very near your first picture. Every year a dumbass gets lost on that mountain. Good ol Humbug moutain...... Hwy 101 on one side and the pacific on the other... What happened to natural selection?

P
PNW Sam
coastaldweller said:
every year a dumbass gets lost on that mountain. Good ol humbug moutain...... Hwy 101 on one side and the pacific on the other... What happened to natural selection?

lol

C_Run
C_Run
AlohaBoy said:
Beautiful Catch! What kind of jig were you using?

yPhqJ.jpg

These are the types of things I would use for snapper.Ling cod would take them as well. Usually I would have a couple of different colors of hootchies and the plastics . You can use a snap to change them out quickly to see what's working. The one I used the other day was a small pink squid on a small jig head but I lost it. I think people usually use those for kokanee- the real little ones.

Humbug is dangerous. I grew up down around there and every year there would be helicopter rescues or fatalities at the state park. People would walk around the rocks at low tide, hang out too long until they were cut off and find themselves in trouble. Invariably it would be someone out from the Midwest camping there who didn't understand the concept of "tide".

I hadn't hiked down to the beach on the south side in probably 25 years. I only fished there a little bit because the waves were so big it was too scary on the rocks.Like one slip from certain death so I quit after not too long. I actually caught the fish on the north side at the park and at Port Orford.

Last edited:
B
billfisher
Great report,and nice pics. Perch are soo good eating!

K
Kevinb5688
Nothing better than inshore ocean fishing. Nice catch!

N
Noahk
Great job Chris! Is there any where to surf launch down there? I bet you'd kill it in that area if you could get the yak just a hundred yards out.

C_Run
C_Run
Noahk said:
Great job Chris! Is there any where to surf launch down there? I bet you'd kill it in that area if you could get the yak just a hundred yards out.

I thought about that. On the right day, maybe, if you knew how to predict it. The waves are pretty big most of the time at the park and that would be about two miles one way around the mountain. South of there about 2.5 to 3 miles is some state land called Arizona Beach ( by the roadside dinosaur) where you could also launch if it wasn't too rough. There is nothing but deer trails directly to the beach there. You could probably slog up and down the hill with a cart if you really wanted. I see a kayak crew at Port Orford sometimes but haven't met any of them. That's an easy launch by the dock. It's an intriguing place and I have only fished from shore there a couple of times in my life.

C
Coastaldweller
Just south of the mountain there is a big turnout. Its about a 100yd pack down the hill, but you could launch.(weather and waves cooperating). Like I previously stated, you can catch big lings all over around there.

N
Noahk
i like big Lings :)

H
hawgcaller
I saw a guy in a kayak at sunset park by coos bay come in to the beach with a nice stringer of lings. real easy to launch a kayak there I have seen loads of them.

H
hunt-fish-trap
Thanks to Hawgcaller I have found this thread and am adding the locations on my road trip down the coast plans thanks guys