First Nook!

N
napzard
Popped my cherry today too, went with Joe Salvey of FishHawk Adventures. He got us onto the fish almost immediately after we got to the fishing grounds. Left the dock at 6am ish and we were limited out with some jacks to spare by 9am.

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
Haha, I stilll caught one though.

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Troutier Bassier said:
Haha, I stilll caught one though.

Man that is some lowww water fishing. So do you just float your corkie down in front of the fish then set the hook or what? :lol:

O
OnTheFly
Nice to see the bank account on the rise TB:clap:

M
mgdguy
TB does it again! :clap: You are HOOKED now! ;)

T
Troutier Bassier
I am Hooked.
Yeah, I use a 12 foot leader, Fish takes the Leader Reel in and set it and I have it on. ;)
No, I dont Drift, I still fish.
I use a slinky with a few Corkies and Yarn on a like 16inch Leader. Cast in the Deeeeeeepest part of the Hole, Hold the rod in ma Hand and when I feel the Pull I yank. Not the Bump. The Pull.

B
beaverfan
So your flossing?

J
JeannaJigs
Holy cow that's low water. It's really legal to fish there? They closed the mainstem upper Siuslaw (which is a pretty good sized river) and lake creek (another good sized stream) because of snaggers.

props on the fish...but wow, the fact that a creek like that is open and rivers are closed, is concerning.

Just my two cents.

T
THE JEFF
beaverfan said:
So your flossing?

Come on give the kid a break, it doesn't sound to me like he is doing any thing wrong. I was on that creek today and caught several fish and saw many other legaly and eathicly caught. I also saw some of the worst illegal and unsportmanlike activaty ever. I saw people fishing with bare treble hooks, people fishing 45 minutes before legal time.I even saw a person chaseing an ugly soreback casting in front of it. The cops were called and nothing came of it that I saw. I was disgusted. Where I was fishing was all good for about the first hour and a half. We were not tangleing up most of the fish were biters and not foul hooked. Then we were over run. Huge masses of recent immigrants that can't read fishing regulations invaded. And I mean large groups of them with no regard for our laws or courtesy for other fishermen complete with hords of children that stand behind you so you can't cast. They kept every fish no matter how gross they were,gutted them right on the bank and just threw the eggs in the creek. I have fished there once or twice a year for quite a while and I have endured some crowded situations but never have I seen a mess like this. Something needs to be done about this like a full time cop (that is bilingual) to write tickets all day. They could make enough money to fund the hatchery no problem. Im sorry but I was just repulsed by the awefull behaviour of these guests in our great state. I can't believe this is allowed to go on.I left and found a less crowed spot to fish. The whole thing made me sad.

F
FishSchooler
Grrrrr... ;)
Now you have to help ME to catch a darn salmon... that is if I get taken.

B
beaverfan
THE JEFF said:
Come on give the kid a break, it doesn't sound to me like he is doing any thing wrong. I was on that creek today and caught several fish and saw many other legaly and eathicly caught. I also saw some of the worst illegal and unsportmanlike activaty ever. I saw people fishing with bare treble hooks, people fishing 45 minutes before legal time.I even saw a person chaseing an ugly soreback casting in front of it. The cops were called and nothing came of it that I saw. I was disgusted. Where I was fishing was all good for about the first hour and a half. We were not tangleing up most of the fish were biters and not foul hooked. Then we were over run. Huge masses of recent immigrants that can't read fishing regulations invaded. And I mean large groups of them with no regard for our laws or courtesy for other fishermen complete with hords of children that stand behind you so you can't cast. They kept every fish no matter how gross they were,gutted them right on the bank and just threw the eggs in the creek. I have fished there once or twice a year for quite a while and I have endured some crowded situations but never have I seen a mess like this. Something needs to be done about this like a full time cop (that is bilingual) to write tickets all day. They could make enough money to fund the hatchery no problem. Im sorry but I was just repulsed by the awefull behaviour of these guests in our great state. I can't believe this is allowed to go on.I left and found a less crowed spot to fish. The whole thing made me sad.

Ya that should be put to a stop. In TB's post he says "Yeah, I use a 12 foot leader, Fish takes the Leader Reel in and set it and I have it on." Waiting for a fish to run into your line and setting the hook is what flossing is. Sure sounds like it was flossing to me.

O
OnTheFly
JeannaJigs said:
Holy cow that's low water. It's really legal to fish there? They closed the mainstem upper Siuslaw (which is a pretty good sized river) and lake creek (another good sized stream) because of snaggers.

props on the fish...but wow, the fact that a creek like that is open and rivers are closed, is concerning.

Just my two cents.

It is really something to see tons of huge salmon bellying from pool to pool over just inches of water. These are called Tule 'tooly' chinook and the streams are realitively close to the mouth of the Columbia. The bulk of the run happens in September but the creek is closed then. The end of the line, or hatchery, is not far upstream and they get all the eggs needed. This fishery is NOT a sport fishery it's more like "I need some meet for my smoker" fishery. And that depends on if you get one that's not too dark. It can get a little gross in there also because these fish have only days left to live and some die and rot on the bank before they make it up to the holding tanks.

B
Bohemian
beaverfan said:
Ya that should be put to a stop. In TB's post he says "Yeah, I use a 12 foot leader, Fish takes the Leader Reel in and set it and I have it on." Waiting for a fish to run into your line and setting the hook is what flossing is. Sure sounds like it was flossing to me.

I think TB was kidding -- read the next line after he says he was using a 12 foot leader. He says he was using a 16" leader...

Thanks

O
osmosis
"Why do salmon are so Stupid?" - classic man.

so it was either way too long, or under the 18" legal requirement, LOL! I love this thread officially!

F
Fishtopher
haha! good one!

T
Troutier Bassier
Wow,
Im never saying a Joke on this Forum Again.
I never can without being Pounded with other Peoples Offense.
I wasn't doing Anything wrong.
Fished at Leagle time.
16 inch Leader. (about)
Size 1 Egg Hook.
Yarn
Corkies before the Hook.

T
Troutier Bassier
And before I left I was fishing at a Spot where there was Salmon Eggs and Guts alll over the River Bed.
No wounder it smelled so Bad.

T
Troutier Bassier
JeannaJigs said:

Just my two cents.
It Closed Today until October.

T
Troutier Bassier
It should be Pretty easy for you to catch them, With your High Tech. UV Corkies and Such.

Grrrrr...
Now you have to help ME to catch a darn salmon... that is if I get taken.

L
luv2fish
I saw the pics and recognised the scenery....big creek is always a producer at this time of month..irrelevant of rain or not......and its closed from tommorow...isn't it?